Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas Call Centre Wait Time

jjonnboy

Hour and a half so far. Pathetic! Could there have been an opportunity to create a world class, customer-facing business that would blow VA2.0 and Rex out of the water?

Blackadder

Probably better to try and contact them via Facebook and/or Twitter, rather than holding on and wasting time when you could be getting things done.

jakeseven7

Established Member
Solutions
Hour and a half so far. Pathetic! Could there have been an opportunity to create a world class, customer-facing business that would blow VA2.0 and Rex out of the water?

What level FF are you out of interest?? I got through in about 15 seconds this AM.....

They did mention they are smashed though with borders opening, people using credits etc (I did all mine online but lots of not frequent flyers might find it more challenging....)

SeaWolf

Established Member
Solutions
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
The wait times when calling QF were usually about an hour plus even before covid, I can't imagine they're going to improve.

RichardMEL

Solutions
This will only get worse in the short term imo as service desk staff are removed and if/when there are irrops/cancels etc.

While QF are touting app enhancements and the like to automate things like changing seats, rebookings, vouchers and all that it won't happen right away and when it is rolled out will probably be buggy...

You'd have thought QF would have worked to bring more staff online with the border reopenings being reasonably predictable and demand bubbling away (and those folks could use the work leading up to Christmas!)

Hoping things improve but.... yeah not too hopeful in the short term

AIRwin

Established Member
Solutions
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
You'd have thought QF would have worked to bring more staff online with the border reopenings being reasonably predictable and demand bubbling away (and those folks could use the work leading up to Christmas!)
And while JobKeeper is still in place?

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions

No need!

Shackles of status (people won't leave). Tens of millions of dollars tied up in 'credits' that can't be used on any other airline. Current capacity can't meet demand, so no need to tout for business.

wandering_fred

Established Member
Solutions
Well status members can't leave until the government opens the borders :oops:
First call yesterday was more than an hour wait.... Went off and amused myself for a few hours, called back with a 7 minute wait time.
Now if the website was a little more user friendly :rolleyes:

Hopefully wandering (soonish)
Fred

jjonnboy

What level FF are you out of interest?? I got through in about 15 seconds this AM.....

They did mention they are smashed though with borders opening, people using credits etc (I did all mine online but lots of not frequent flyers might find it more challenging....)
Lowly bronze, as I'm a points flyer.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

jjonnboy

No need!

Shackles of status (people won't leave). Tens of millions of dollars tied up in 'credits' that can't be used on any other airline. Current capacity can't meet demand, so no need to tout for business.
Like many others, this unshackled frequent flyer has to find a home for millions of points annually. QFF is arguably worth half of the Qantas group value; PointsClub goes some way to reinforcing the importance of that portion of the business.
I understand your valid points as to why they may not consider the need to tout for business; I just find it extremely short-sighted and arrogant when dealing with customers that have many decades of flying ahead and who earn and allocate points with extreme flexibility.
I'm just asking for a few more call centre staff. Why have service standards in some sections of the business, yet fall woefully short in other parts? I'd hate to see them become another Telstra.

TheInsider

Established Member
Solutions
The issue is the majority of customers don't need the call centre and it's an expense for them to be there. It doesn't make them money so to speak.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
Like many others, this unshackled frequent flyer has to find a home for millions of points annually. QFF is arguably worth half of the Qantas group value; PointsClub goes some way to reinforcing the importance of that portion of the business.
I understand your valid points as to why they may not consider the need to tout for business; I just find it extremely short-sighted and arrogant when dealing with customers that have many decades of flying ahead and who earn and allocate points with extreme flexibility.
I'm just asking for a few more call centre staff. Why have service standards in some sections of the business, yet fall woefully short in other parts? I'd hate to see them become another Telstra.

This has been going on for years, not a covid related thing unfortunately.

Many say the sweet spot of QFFF membership is gold, but I'm pretty happy with my silver status as one of the benefits seems to be the opportunity for a 'call back' rather than having to hold.

jjonnboy

This has been going on for years, not a covid related thing unfortunately.

Many say the sweet spot of QFFF membership is gold, but I'm pretty happy with my silver status as one of the benefits seems to be the opportunity for a 'call back' rather than having to hold.
Cheers, good to know. I may get to silver this year, with the bonus status points on transfer promotion.

jjonnboy

The issue is the majority of customers don't need the call centre and it's an expense for them to be there. It doesn't make them money so to speak.
I agree with that. Though for my circumstances, it will lose them money if I don't send my points their way because they don't deem fixing a problem of their making is important. The South African call centre had said they had sorted my daughter's ticketing issue (1.5 hours wait) and then Auckland call centre finally fixed it (2 hours wait). Domestic MEL-BNE, after my daughter had been stuck in Melbourne since February. All good now, she's home.

RichardMEL

Solutions
Yes, but if their IT and processing, app etc were better then even less people would need to call.

For example...

how many people would need to call if voucher and award processing didn't bomb every other time and require the far queue (manual processing0? or if award bookings for ALL partners could properly be accessed online, or flight changes that should work but don't need manual help, or... or...

I mean I am one of the people who call the least often. I am actually struggling to call the last time I did call for something - I'm going to say to request a J reward seat on one of the 747 flights. I am a huge believer in self service, online tools etc

QF have made some advances in this area, and they promise more... but there still are so many glitchy issues with the website booking process (and let's not get started on gift vouchers) and other things that other major carriers seem to have sorted out long ago to need even less intervention by manual hands.

And this doesn't even count the people who are not tech savvy or want to talk to a human (like my father for example). I do realise often this is a generational thing, but it's not just "the old folks" who need help with probably simple things like making that once every four years FF booking to Brisbane and selecting a vego meal. They shouldn't have to wait hours to do that just because they don't have the ability or tools to do online.

I do understand the cost of humans in call centres of course but they still are needed in these times, and that QF just seems to accept that it's "OK" to have the majority of people hang on for hours (let's face it, as a P1 I rarely waited more than a minute and far less the few times I have called.. but that's because I am only one of a few thousand).... We can all appreciate unusual events like massive weather impacts or whatever causing short term call answering delays, but on a regular basis and even right now when there's far less people flying overall?

I really hope all the updates they have promised actually happen and work as expected. Not holding my breath. Work Experience kids have missed a lot of school this year....

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cathk

Currently Active Users

No members online now.