Qantas Call Centre Long Wait Times

My understanding (from unofficial sources) is that there is a pool of priority phone numbers that airport staff give to passengers which rotates every few weeks.

I will attempt to publish the currently active number(s) in this post:

1300 134 502
1300 659 134

1300 304 318 (confirmed to be active on 7 Jan 2022)

Last edited:

Nimo

With the countries that are closing borders one after the other, I can imagine lots of travelers calling their airline to make changes, possibly on complex international itinerary so not too surprised of long wait time

Under normal circumstances, without elite status, you wouldnt have to wait that long, 2.5 hours max.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimo

With the countries that are closing borders one after the other, I can imagine lots of travelers calling their airline to make changes, possibly on complex international itinerary so not too surprised of long wait time

Under normal circumstances, without elite status, you wouldnt have to wait that long, 2.5 hours max.
2.5 hours on Elite status not acceotable at all - Virgin answer within 5 minute regardless of status
Qantas always had this issue of long wait but not as worst as 6hours that's beyond imagination - I wonder Mr Joyce is aware of this - Frustrating part is that start of call says your call will be answered in less than 15minutes & dragged it to 3.5 hours how misleading specially from Australian National Carrier

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Yeah, there is a 17 page thread about the long wait times and some tips to try and get through a bit quicker.

I do think its a bit ridiculous, covid with snap border changes isn't new anymore. You would expect they would have a system (more staff) to deal with this now.

I had to call them in May to chase points and $ from an award flight 3+ months earlier. Was on hold for 5 hrs 17 minutes! At least the guy who answered the call was helpful and I got the points back immediately and the $ within 2 days. Bronze status.

Nimo

Yeah, there is a 17 page thread about the long wait times and some tips to try and get through a bit quicker.

I do think its a bit ridiculous, covid with snap border changes isn't new anymore. You would expect they would have a system (more staff) to deal with this now.
I thought so - if there is that long wait times they should not accept calls by saying that they are quite busy

MooTime

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
2.5HOURS is still totally unacceptable.

Joycey doesn't care about things like this, he has to answer to shareholders, so only carefactor is about sales & $$ to him.

certainly one of the things turns me off flying QF on a regular basis.

which ever dept head runs this area obviously told to not worry about it from above as been same for years.
Basket case the call centre for QF, brown turd color standard!

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I have a missing flight credit - a flight that was originally cancelled and then I used the credit on a flight for less than the total value. So I should have received a new credit afterwards for the remaining value to use on further flights (yes it was booked before 30 Sept 2021), but I have received no communications and no credits are showing up in my future bookings. This is a relatively low priority item and I don't wish to be on hold - is there really no way to send an email or message and get a response within a few days? The fact that they haven't introduced an email/message system for lower priority inquiries seems just as shocking to me. (Yes, I'm aware of the Qantas Frequent Flyer email but I believe as this is a credit/booking question it can't be answered there, but please correct me on that if I'm wrong?).

Nimo

Called 1300 304 318 got thru within 2 minutes

TheInsider

Established Member
I have a missing flight credit - a flight that was originally cancelled and then I used the credit on a flight for less than the total value. So I should have received a new credit afterwards for the remaining value to use on further flights (yes it was booked before 30 Sept 2021), but I have received no communications and no credits are showing up in my future bookings. This is a relatively low priority item and I don't wish to be on hold - is there really no way to send an email or message and get a response within a few days? The fact that they haven't introduced an email/message system for lower priority inquiries seems just as shocking to me. (Yes, I'm aware of the Qantas Frequent Flyer email but I believe as this is a credit/booking question it can't be answered there, but please correct me on that if I'm wrong?).
You can message through Facebook messenger or twitter if it's not urgent.

Or maybe this may help: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/support/contact-us/customer-care-feedback-form.html

ameno

It's a real kick in the guts when it is such a notable difference between being WP and WP1 at times like this.

Mattg

Enthusiast
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
I called at 12:32 today to enquire about award availability for a route that doesn't appear on the Qantas website. Was offered a callback, and somebody rang back at 13:35. They appeared to have a South African accent, so it was probably somebody from the CPT call centre.

I asked if he could check award availability from EZE to MAD on a particular flight I'm looking at, he said sure and put me on hold. After 10 minutes on hold, he came back to me to ask me to repeat the airport code for Buenos Aires, then put me on hold again. Then, 25 minutes into the call, it disconnected.

So I just wasted 90 minutes of my time to get absolutely nowhere on what is frankly an extremely simple request. Sorry Qantas, this is not good enough.

TheInsider

Established Member
I called at 12:32 today to enquire about award availability for a route that doesn't appear on the Qantas website. Was offered a callback, and somebody rang back at 13:35. They appeared to have a South African accent, so it was probably somebody from the CPT call centre.

I asked if he could check award availability from EZE to MAD on a particular flight I'm looking at, he said sure and put me on hold. After 10 minutes on hold, he came back to me to ask me to repeat the airport code for Buenos Aires, then put me on hold again. Then, 25 minutes into the call, it disconnected.

So I just wasted 90 minutes of my time to get absolutely nowhere on what is frankly an extremely simple request. Sorry Qantas, this is not good enough.
Pathetic really. Use the other number!

Virgin Wines Australia Has Exceptional Red, White & Sparkling Wines On Offer. See Online. See Our Exclusive Wine Selections From Around Australia & Around The World. Shop Now! Advent Calendar 2021. Better Wines for Less. Cancel Anytime. No Membership Fees.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

RichardMEL

I've said before that the poor way QF handles the call centres and wait times is ridiculously poor in the main. And really they're killing some percentage of their customers despite the arrogance afford by a large domestic market share and "rusted on" loyalty for many tied to QFF etc.

It seems to me the price sensitive will stay price sensitive and thus do BFOD and whatever works and will be annoyed by the call wait times, but probably will not change their practices if somehow QF is the best deal for their needs (seems unlikely in the main). Same with the casual flyers - the <= 2-3 trips a year crowd more or less. Some may sure move to VA or Rex or whoever in frustration, but those folks are not the huge yield earners (Yes I know someone will say they paid full F to LHR that one time to go to Band Camp and never again) QF probably cares about keeping happy

to me, the (pun intended) Golden Goose of people REALLY impacted by this kind of stuff are your Silvers, Golds(the pun) and Platinums - those who fly enough and/or make the effort to attain/retain status and that represents some level of yield to QF, even if it's mostly DSC or by flying OW partners.. it's still people QF *should* be trying their best to cater too.

(don't take this to mean that I think it's OK for Joe once-a-year flyer to have to wait > 5min to be answered and given competent service - not at all. Good Customer Service is about meeting these reasonable expectations for all customers, not just the special few

but significantly, in my view it's the core of lower-mid and even to higher (WP) tier flyers who QF is endlessly pissing off with cough like this, and then having to wait for an hour or two or a call back, get agents who can;'t seem to manage the simplest things? Just pushes away people you really should be working so much harder to keep happy.

This ties in to the whole goal of vastly improving online self service abilities and fixing all these stupid glitches that send us into a rage and HAVE to call up to get cough fixed. Yes, QF have announced extra efforts in these areas - improvements to the app and website and so on, and I absolutely applaud these goals (not seen too much show up in reality yet though). These have to be happening. If punters can solve their problems online they don't need to call.. or if things sending bookings to the manual queue for were resolved then again, punters not need to call so yes please.

Initiatives like converting flight credits to Passes are good things that assist with all of this, and I really like this rollout by QF as a positive step. More please.

And yes, I'm a P1 and have had the huge advantage of almost instant answers by VIP team and whatever.. my experiences have been very good.. but I also feel guilty that they are and I try to do everything I can to avoid calling to tie up agents with trivial things (for example, why when QF cancel a flight, can't the "Cancel to Qantas Pass with DSC/points/whatever offer" flow be done online? Seems like this would be a no brainer to implement, but I digress). I also realise, of course, that I am NOT typical with my experiences and that the vast majority of customers are getting a ridiculous subpar experience and I think that's wrong.