Not open for further replies.

dylarr

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Oneworld
Emerald
Hi all,

I currently hold a Qantas Amex Ultimate card and I'm thinking of applying for an Amex Platinum Charge.

I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has done something similar recently — in particularly how you went with the sign up bonuses for the Platinum Charge. I understand that technically I'm not eligible due to the fact that I'm a current cardholder of another Amex product, but I'd love to hear any real world experiences that anyone has recently had.

Thanks!

No real world experience, but you won’t get any signup bonus!

I spoke with Amex yesterday, explaining that I am reviewing my suite of cards. Which is 100% true.

Asked if there were any upgrade incentives from Ultimate to Platinum. The answer was as expected - no.

I’m sure there’s method to their madness but surely keeping me as a custom would be cheaper, easier and more profitable for them than trying to lure new customers.

The agent said the application process for Platinum is easier if you hold an existing Amex product. I can’t say if that’s true or not because I have not tried.

I asked today about incentives to add a Platinum Charge having been an AMEX cardholder for around 11 years. No go, nothing, nada, zip.

I have done this action Jan this year.

1. Cant direct upgrade - due to different product lines
2. No bonus or anything and no welcome bonus
3. As @Captain Halliday said - it is easier to apply plat charge if you held QF ultimate

I held the Velocity Plat for 5+ years and switched to the Plat Charge in 2020. The application was... suspiciously easy and I wasn't even asked to verify anything (it was approved within 24 hours IIRC). It was whilst trying to obtain proper payslips which delayed my original application... so I sadly ended up missing the date for the grandfathered Reserve TC. Had I known, I could've applied before the cut-off!
Regarding sign up bonus: Unfortunately no points. Did try to ask for signup bonus from a few agents but not surprised the answer was no.

There are times AMEX will incentivised you with bonus points to upgrade to a higher card.
But the bonus points would not be that great. I never had issues applying for a new card and never been asked to provide payslip. A professional platinum charge card is cheaper.

There are times AMEX will incentivised you with bonus points to upgrade to a higher card.
But the bonus points would not be that great. I never had issues applying for a new card and never been asked to provide payslip. A professional platinum charge card is cheaper.
I know the Australian Computing Society (ACS) used to have discounted AMEX products, but I assume they are gone since I can't find anything on their website anymore.

Thanks for the replies everyone - very helpful. I also had a similar experience speaking to an agent — hard no on being able to offer anything. Seems like this is a very consistent position.

I'm more inclined to cancel the Qantas Amex Ultimate, do the 18 months, then come back when I'm eligible which seems kind of crazy. But it is what it is!

Thanks for the replies everyone - very helpful. I also had a similar experience speaking to an agent — hard no on being able to offer anything. Seems like this is a very consistent position.

I'm more inclined to cancel the Qantas Amex Ultimate, do the 18 months, then come back when I'm eligible which seems kind of crazy. But it is what it is!
I hold the Qantas Ultimate and wanted the Amex Platinum Charge so our work around was mrg rang and was approved over the phone in 10 minutes - no need for any paperwork. He hasn't held an Amex for over 18 months and got the sign up bonus. He added me as an additional card holder (I do the travel bookings) and its worked fine for us. I will cancel my Ultimate Card and change to Amex Explorer for the MR points.

I hold the Qantas Ultimate and wanted the Amex Platinum Charge so our work around was mrg rang and was approved over the phone in 10 minutes - no need for any paperwork. He hasn't held an Amex for over 18 months and got the sign up bonus. He added me as an additional card holder (I do the travel bookings) and its worked fine for us. I will cancel my Ultimate Card and change to Amex Explorer for the MR points.
My friend got investigated and asked the proof of income despite he only entered like 90k income(below 100k official requirement)but when i applied I entered 50k Amex got instantly approved it even before acknowledgment email i received approved email lol

I just tried to upgrade, but was told I had to do a new application, even if it was within the same product group. Anyone else experienced this?

I just tried to upgrade, but was told I had to do a new application, even if it was within the same product group. Anyone else experienced this?
I was told the same thing by customer support. I ended up applying on Tuesday night and DHL delivered the new card on Thursday just after lunch. I'm giving them a few days to sort out a few issues, mainly my Ascent Premium points started at 0 and all of my previously earned points have disappeared and my Explorer travel credit has disappeared and my Platinum travel credit hasn't appeared yet. When I spoke to Platinum support on Thursday afternoon they said to give it 72 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back