Qantas Amex Ultimate - missing bonus points for Qantas flights?

dj_james

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that they haven't received the bonus points when booking Qantas flights? With the Qantas Ultimate card, according to Qantas Ultimate Credit Card Benefits | AMEX Australia you're supposed to get 2.25 points per $ spent on flights booked with this card on qantas.com.au. Now that we are travelling again, I've noticed that all the flight transactions that I've booked the last few months have only received the standard 1.25 points per $1. I'm certain this was working before Covid - has anyone else noticed the same?

I've logged an online chat request through Amex 3 times now and this still hasn't been fixed! I decided to try calling them this time the other night, and they've promised to look into it again for me.

Either this has been an issue for ages or the new points statement format on the Amex website isn't displaying bonus points correctly. According to the website, I have Qantas transactions as far back as June 2021 which earned at 1.25 instead of 2.25, but I feel like the bonus points were reflected correctly before in the "bonus" column which has been enhanced.

Keep us posted with what Amex have to say.

I'm pretty sure they weren't displaying on the old system either. I'll wait to see what they come back to me with.

Have you had any flights refunded that were booked using the QF Ultimate card?

If so then this could be the cause. When they refund they don't claw back the additional bonus points for dollar spent. However, the debt is tracked so next time you should earn a bonus point per dollar booking with QF it will be paying down that points debt before crediting bonus points.

Ive received the bonus on all bookings including most recent one.

On maex site it shows up as two entries, first line is 1.25 points per $ then a line directly below with bonus 1 point per $

1653639192737.png

Also shows in QF online statement

1653641152344.png

So if you arent needs to follow-up.

Noting that the bonus points only come through for flights, not Qantas Hotel bookings etc.

Last edited:
Have you had any flights refunded that were booked using the QF Ultimate card?

If so then this could be the cause. When they refund they don't claw back the additional bonus points for dollar spent. However, the debt is tracked so next time you should earn a bonus point per dollar booking with QF it will be paying down that points debt before crediting bonus points.
I did in 2020, for quite a substantial amount ($5k or so). It's a while ago now and the history doesn't go back that far on the Amex site, but from memory both the standard and bonus points were removed at the same time as the refund came through, and I ended up with a negative points balance, and then didn't receive any more points transferred to QFF until that Amex QF points balance was above zero again.

I am still awaiting further response from Amex.

Ive received the bonus on all bookings including most recent one.

On maex site it shows up as two entries, first line is 1.25 points per $ then a line directly below with bonus 1 point per $

View attachment 278554

Also shows in QF online statement

View attachment 278565

So if you arent needs to follow-up.

Noting that the bonus points only come through for flights, not Qantas Hotel bookings etc.
That's interesting - my initial theory was that the merchant name is now "QANTAS MASCOT" whereas a couple of years ago it was "QANTAS AIR AUSTRALIA" and that it may have stopped working when that changed, but your screenshots have blown that theory away!

So I have found out that AMEX only credit the 2.25 points when buying through Qantas.com.au - but QF website seems to redirect to .com for all purchases.
My last flight purchase didn't credit the bonus points, and AMEX stated because it was not .com.au
Call centre is confused and telling me to change country.

So I have found out that AMEX only credit the 2.25 points when buying through Qantas.com.au - but QF website seems to redirect to .com for all purchases.
My last flight purchase didn't credit the bonus points, and AMEX stated because it was not .com.au
Call centre is confused and telling me to change country.

That's absolute nonsense. What does the charge show as on your statement?

Qantas Mascot, with a US dollar amount.
I had to buy a one-way fare LAX-SYD but did it through my normal QF website log on.

The fine print is that you must buy Qantas product through .com.au - but Qantas website automatically directs to .com/au

I agree it's rubbish but am currently composing an email to QFF pleading my case.

Qantas Mascot, with a US dollar amount.
I had to buy a one-way fare LAX-SYD but did it through my normal QF website log on.

The fine print is that you must buy Qantas product through .com.au - but Qantas website automatically directs to .com/au

I agree it's rubbish but am currently composing an email to QFF pleading my case.

You would have needed to book through the US website for a one way fare originating in the US. I suspect that's the issue.

I realise that may be that issue, but I am pulling the "I had to book through the call centre as the website wouldn't allow me to book the domestic US flight as well" story.
Also missing bonus points for another flight booked and paid online on the Aussie website.

I've emailed QFF asking them to Please Explain.

Back