Qantas American Express Ultimate Card - now 50,000 bonus points

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhealy

As most of you would konw Amex were running a 30,000 bonus promo on new Ultimate cards -- Link: goo.gl/oiNZ

I woke this morning to order one and had a nice surprise that they've bumped the offer to 50,000 bonus points! Link: goo.gl/eFQr

Enjoy everyone

The full link is at Frequent Flyer - Member Specials - Cards - Qantas American Express Ultimate Card

(as the OP is a new member and can't post links yet)

And welcome to AFF.

And the catches are...

* The first time you make a purchase on the Card you'll earn 5,000 points.^
* If you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months of becoming a Cardmember, you'll earn an additional 42,500 points.^
* Plus, earn a further 2,500 points after your first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia.+

and the other caveats...
^ To be eligible for all or part of the 50,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points offer, you must be a new Card applicant only who does not currently hold any of the Qantas American Express Card products, apply for the Card via the attached online application form only, be approved by 15 April 2010, and make the required eligible Card spend(s). Points are awarded as follows: 42,500 points will be awarded when you spend $4,000 on purchases on your new Card within the first three months of becoming a Cardmember; an additional 5,000 points will be awarded after the first Card spend on purchases. Points earned after first Card spend and first Card spend over $4,000 may be awarded on the same transaction. 2,500 points will be awarded after the first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia.
+ Maximum number of points available under this offer is 50,000 points. Subject to the Qantas American Express Card Points Terms and Conditions and exclusions apply. Allow six to eight weeks after you have made an eligible spend for the points to be credited to your account.
+ Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased on the Qantas merchant account ie with Qantas direct or some travel agents, (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops or (c) purchases from Qantas Holidays. Excludes: Qantas Freight, Jetstar and Qantas branded non-airfare products operated by third parties eg Qantas Box Office. Subject to Points Terms and Conditions.

Must be keen to push this Card at present.

Talking with Amex last week they offered me the Ultimate at $250 pa for life...

However I prefer to not put points to QF due to it's high burn rates compared to other otions.

Talking with Amex last week they offered me the Ultimate at $250 pa for life...

$250 pa....you did well! I had no luck at getting the rate down.

Do you have an agents direct contact # that you spoke to?

No it was just on the general line where you get pot luck with whom you speak. It was an Australian Agent though. Might consider taking them up on it though if I get the 50K as well.

No it was just on the general line where you get pot luck with whom you speak. It was an Australian Agent though. Might consider taking them up on it though if I get the 50K as well.

Yeah you should! :). The only thing to watch out for was that the guy said I had to follow the link on the website to sign up so not sure If I'd be able ot get the $250 deal and the points ;)

Do you have to pay the annual $80.00 membership rewards fee like some other Amex cards?

+ Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased on the Qantas merchant account ie with Qantas direct or some travel agents, (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops or (c) purchases from Qantas Holidays.

So fellow AFFers remember before you chalk up some serious dollars to this card for air travel ensure that it's either on the QF Merchant account - wonder if it's just the Mascot one or can you purchase overseas too? How do you know which travel agents are eligible? TG where are you???

Oz

Last edited:
Does holding a current supplementary card mean that the person is no longer a "new" applicant?

The full link is at Frequent Flyer - Member Specials - Cards - Qantas American Express Ultimate Card

(as the OP is a new member and can't post links yet)

And welcome to AFF.

And the catches are...

and the other caveats...

And another catch is.
Applicants must be 18 years of age or over, reside in Australia and earn a minimum income of $65,000 per annum to apply for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. American Express income and credit approval criteria applies. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Fees and charges apply. All interest rates are quoted as an Annual Percentage Rate. Interest rates are current as at 22 January 2009 and are subject to change, including changes under American Express' Interest Rate Policy.
I need to give myself a pay rise.

Re the following statement int he T&C:

"Points earned after first Card spend and first Card spend over $4,000 may be awarded on the same transaction."

I don't quite understand this statement, can someone please explain?

Thanks

Re the following statement int he T&C:

"Points earned after first Card spend and first Card spend over $4,000 may be awarded on the same transaction."

I don't quite understand this statement, can someone please explain?

Thanks
if you first transaction is $4000+ then you get the points for first spend and the points for spending $4k.

Thanks Medhead.

Thinking about taking up this offer to get a SYD-SIN ticket.

Have noticed that Syd-SIN return classic award is 60,000 points + taxes, surcharges and fees. Would like to know how much these extras are, but since I don't currently have 60,000 points I can't proceed to the Review page of the booking to see these.

I'm guessing around around $300-$350?

Can a kind soul who currently has 60k points or more please do a dummy booking and tell me how much these extra fees are?

Thanks

I'm guessing around around $300-$350?

Can a kind soul who currently has 60k points or more please do a dummy booking and tell me how much these extra fees are?

Thanks

A touch less than you were expecting - taxes/charges come to $229.70.

To clarify, this card is offered $250pa for life for Platinum Charge Card holders.

no, the annual card fee per the qantas application page is $450 per annum. Remember though, that this also gives you a free domestic flight within Australia to selected destinations after your first spend on Qantas services. The $250 for life was someone who called Amex directly and was offered this and appears not to be in conjunction with the 50,000 bonus QFF points...

I was targeted for a change from platinum CC to the ultimate card (probably cause they saw my spend reduce to pretty much 0 in March last year).

$250 for life, and 7500 bonus points (5k on first spend, 2500 on first QF spend) and 2 points/$ for the first 6 months.

I plan on using safeway/woolies/big W a lot in the next few months ;)

Sounds like a great offer. A shame I already have the Qantas Premium Amex card.

Do you have to pay the annual $80.00 membership rewards fee like some other Amex cards?
This card is direct sweep to Qantas so no additional membership fee for Ascent.

So fellow AFFers remember before you chalk up some serious dollars to this card for air travel ensure that it's either on the QF Merchant account - wonder if it's just the Mascot one or can you purchase overseas too? How do you know which travel agents are eligible? TG where are you???
As far as I am aware Qantas overseas purchases do not count as Qantas spend.

To be eligible for all or part of the 50,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points offer, you must be a new Card applicant only who does not currently hold any of the Qantas American Express Card products

I have a Qantas card on standby in my wallet for those occasions when I want to direct earn some Qantas points. Based on this term I've quoted above I consider holding the current Amex card a liability if it restricts my ability to take up future special offers.

What are the cities for the free return flights?
From Adelaide: Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
From Brisbane: Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney
From Melbourne: Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney
From Perth: Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney
From Sydney: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne
From Canberra: Melbourne, Sydney

* Sorry the other thread was closed before I could reply....

$450.00 per annum - shirley they can't be serious???

This is sheer greed by Amex IMHO. No wonder they don't have as many merchants as visa and mastercard. Their merchant fees are much higher then they take a lot longer to pay their merchants at end of month.

My axe to grind with them is on overseas transactions eg when paying a deposit to a Las Vegas hotel they charge an overseas transaction fee. That particular hotel I cancelled and when the refund of deposit came through Amex again charge an overseas transaction fee on the refunded amount too!!!

In a similar case involving a refund on a hotel deposit paid on a GE Go Mastercard, they recredited the overseas transaction fee. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

It's worth noting that the "free" ticket ex PER you can travel to the east coast however if you live on the east coast you can't travel to PER.

So if you live in SYD your "free" ticket is to ADL/BNE/MEL. There's plenty of times throughout the year when a return ticket to these cities is less than $450.00.

Am I missing something here with regards your return on investment? What do you really get for your money & how do Amex justify what some might call highway robbery???

Most credit card companies offer "free" insurance for trips purchased on the applicable card so that's not a big deal really. I would certainly be reading the fine print on the PDS as to what they won't pay or insure. You may have to take out a travel insurance policy to cover the additional things not covered in the "free" insurance.

Sounds like an offer I will file under the category of "being promised the world and given an atlas"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back