Qantas American Express Premium Card v Ultimate Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kort

Intern
Okies so given the debacle of my Amex Platinum Credit Card not being able to transfer its reward points to QFF, I am on the lookout for a new Amex card that does. I have discounted the Amex Platinum Charge card (due to its $900 fee-however if my logic is mistaken, please let me know) which leaves me with the either:

* Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
* Qantas American Express Premium Card

I already have the Earth Platinum card but I think I will cancel that just before the annual fee is due as I doubt I will get the annual fee wavied from Earth (Westpac owned).

Now....
* Premium card gives 1.25 points per $1 for a $240 annual fee
* Ultimate card gives 1.50 points per $1 for a $450 annual fee + 1 domestic flight.

Based on the my annual spend,
* Can most likely get the annual fee waived for the Premium card (+1 has already done this)
* Unlikely I would the $450 annual fee waived, but could possibly get a discount on the annual fee.....

so best case scenario....
* get premium annual fee wavied and earn 1.25/$1
* get discount off ultimate card (say $200), leaves $250 which covers cost of "free" domestic flight plus I earn 1.5/$1...

Am thinking the "Ultimate card" remains the best option (based on my possible waived annual fee assumptions, etc) although I am happy to be told otherwise? Anyone have an opinion on this?

Two factors you should consider:
Are you good for a $400 trip like to a distant major city?
Are you spending enough on the Amex card for the .25 of a point to make a significant difference?
$30,000 annual spend produces either 37,500 points or 45,000 points in ultimate which is only 7,500 added points on non Qantas product spending.If your annual spend is quite large then the Amex Ultimate card becomes a real winner.
There is also a bonus on Qantas spending on the Qantas Amex Ultimate card.

When you want the free domestic flight with your Amex Plat Credit Card you simply ring Amex and make the booking. However, with the Amex Qantas Ultimate card you have to make a purchase of a Qantas product before you are entitled to the free flight. However, that can be a simple task of going to the QF shop and buying something for $10.

However, with the Amex Qantas Ultimate card you have to make a purchase of a Qantas product before you are entitled to the free flight.

Not quite.

You only need to make a purchase on the card, it can be from any store which accepts Amex and does not need to be from Qantas.

Nope. Needs to be on Qantas.

Enjoy a Qantas domestic Economy return flight² between selected Australian capital cities after your first Card spend every year in Australia on selected Qantas services³.

Haven't seen this elsewhere, when you log onto your Frequent Flyer Account Member Specials, cards, offered the following;

The Qantas American Express Premium Card
Made to fly in style
Turbo boost your points balance with up to 20,000 points*

Apply for the Qantas American Express Premium Card before 28 February 2009, be approved and you could earn up to 20,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points.*

Here's how:
  • 12,500 points when you spend $300 or more on purchases on your Card before 29 May 2009,^
  • 5,000 points after your first Card spend, and
  • 2,500 points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.#
In addition, you can earn 1.25 points for every dollar spent on eligible purchases on the Card.+
Apply now and experience the benefits for yourself.
Other key Card features and benefits

• Receive two Qantas Club invitations~ after your first Card spend every year in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.#
  • Earn an additional point for every dollar spent on your Card in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.#
  • Travel insurance when you pay for qualifying travel with your Card.**
  • Automatic transfer of your points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account every month.
  • Emergency Card Replacement.^^
  • Up to 44 interest free days on purchases.##
  • Annual Card fee of $249.
  • No Annual Card fee for each supplementary Card.
  • Current interest rate of 19.99% per annum.++

Also;
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
Made to fly in style
Earn up to 32,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points

Apply, and be approved for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card between 16 December 2008 and 31 March 2009, and you could earn up to 32,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points.*
Here's how:
  • 25,000 points when you spend $750 on purchases on your Card before 30 June 2009,^
  • 5,000 points after your first Card spend, and
  • 2,500 points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.+
In addition, you earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent on purchases on the Card.#
Apply now and experience the benefits for yourself.
Other key Card features and benefits

• One domestic Economy return flight between selected Australian capital cities~ after your first Card spend every year in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.+
  • Earn an extra point for every dollar spent on your Card in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.+
  • Automatic transfer of your points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account every month.
  • Annual Card fee of $450.
  • No Annual Card fee for each supplementary Card.
  • Current interest rate of 20.49%per annum.**
  • Travel insurance and Travel Inconvenience Cover within Australia or abroad when you pay for your travel with your Card.^^
  • Online Fraud Protection Guarantee to protect against unauthorised charges online.++

It really depends how much u can get off the fee, but I doubt they'll be giving out the ultimate with flights for much less.

Thinking about it more, I've decided to cancel my qantas card and keep RM after Apr. MR points are much more useful - I have 3 airlines that fly where I want vs qantas that won't accept waitlisted awards bookings.

Plus, my visa :( still gives QFF points, so I've got the best of both.

I have an Ultimate card but I can't easily see the value to someone outside my location of Perth in relation to the 'free' travel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but east coast residents can't fly to PER on their 'free' trip, so $450 looks very costly for a person in MEL or SYD to go up or down the east coast or to ADL.

Someone in PER can travel to SYD, MEL or ADL so the $450 looks reasonable in relation to a Red-e-deal fare.

Of course, the 1.5 points/$ may swing it for someone pumping big corporate spend through their Ultimate or having big QF spend to gain the bonus points. I also use mine for an annual D or AONEx paid through QF, so all up I think it works well for me.

OK,

after much searching thought I'd ask the gurus. Anyone have any idea where on the Amex website you can find details of the Domestic and International Travel Insurance they offer and in particular does it provide any cover for rental card excess.

Does anyone have a list of destinations available for the free flight? I'm wondering whether to change from the Premium card to the Ultimate. There's only a 7500 points bonus though so I don't know whether it's worth it, at least I get 1.5 points as opposed to 1.25 at the moment. I'm in Melbourne.

Here's the flights

Departure City (Bold) Arrival Cities
Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne Sydney
Brisbane Adelaide Melbourne Sydney
Melbourne Adelaide Brisbane Sydney
Perth Adelaide Melbourne Sydney
Sydney Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne
Canberra Melbourne Sydney

It seems like it would be worth it for a return trip to Brisbane each year! At $250 - $298 return (depending on specials) this seems like a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back