Qantas A321XLR no lie flat International has begun

Greg555

Intern
Joined
Feb 21, 2016
Posts
92
Just spotted the new Qantas A321XLR scheduled on the EIGHT hour route Syd to Manilla.. That's the no lie flat domestic business seat for full J pricing for 8 hours. Bwahahahaha.....no thank you very much. What are Qantas doing...? And will Economy get the two toilet only config for their 8 hours. Hudson cannot be serious.
 
I have an upcoming flight in December from BNE to MNL (QF97 & 98) which is ordinarily operated by a A330-200 five times a week but Qantas has sent me an updated itinerary which now lists both flights being operated by a A321neo (I'm assuming its the XLR as its the only in the fleet.

This is rather frustrating as they are selling business class seats at the price of a lie flat seat when now all you'll get is a recliner and a short haul economy cabin with two toilets for 180 passengers on a 8 hour flight... I thought these jets were meant to be exclusively used for short haul flights?

Discussed here

Although I think that thread refers more so to the MNL-BNE route.
 
I can’t see it on SYD-MNL. Which dates?

Once the International configured A321s arrive it’s pretty clear MNL will be going all narrow body.
 
Next stop: CGK?
 
Next stop: CGK?

Another route to avoid then, bit of a shame as much easier getting rewards seats from MEL
 
If you don't like it, vote with your wallet and book something else.
It goes without saying I won't be buying the inferior Qantas product.
You've missed the obvious point (willfully perhaps) - a Domestic business seat has no place on an 8 hour flight for a so called premium airline...
 
Last edited:
This is the correct answer. You can fly Philippine Airlines on that route which has lie-flat A330 seats if you don't like Qantas
No, the correct answer is - Domestic Business seats have no place on an 8 hour flight....

Actually, on the BNE-MNL route, Phillipine are also flying A321's and they are not lie flat either. I'll dble check SYD-MNL, last I looked they were A321 as well.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

No, the correct answer is - Domestic Business seats have no place on an 8 hour flight....

Actually, on the BNE-MAN route, Phillipine are also flying A321's and they are not lie flat either. I'll dble check SYD-MAN, last I looked they were A321 as well.
Yes suboptimal. But…MNL.
Imagine ex-Oz - MAN on a 321 😱
Though I did note on Flightaware the other day an EK BNE -DXB service apparently operated by a B738M 😵‍💫.
Presumably an incorrect ID.
 
Last edited:
No, the correct answer is - Domestic Business seats have no place on an 8 hour flight....

Actually, on the BNE-MNL route, Phillipine are also flying A321's and they are not lie flat either. I'll dble check SYD-MNL, last I looked they were A321 as well.
Whilst i agree with the sentiment - likely the choice is to run a 321XLR or cancel the route.

I think what really should be happening is pricing it at premium economy prices.
 
Whilst i agree with the sentiment - likely the choice is to run a 321XLR or cancel the route.

I think what really should be happening is pricing it at premium economy prices.
This should apply to domestic routes too.
The "business" recliners on E190s, A223s, B738s and A321XLRs should be sold as premium economy.
The hard product is a long way short of true business class and recently the standard of the soft product has followed suit.
When the premium config A321XLRs arrive this would provide QF with an opportunity to sell 3 classes on domestic flights.
I am confident there would be a domestic market for PE, especially if they threw in QC (but not J lounge) access.
In particular on long routes such as trans con flights to and from PER.
 
This should apply to domestic routes too.
The "business" recliners on E190s, A223s, B738s and A321XLRs should be sold as premium economy.
The hard product is a long way short of true business class and recently the standard of the soft product has followed suit.
The difference in domestic is there's no competition. If Virgin are happy to sit back and reduce their service offering, there's absolutely no incentive for Qantas to do anything. It's really all about competition and the environment. Put QFs domestic J product in Europe and watch everyone flock to it because its a cut above everyone else.

Interestingly QF has actually started offering a more reasonable J pricing for some domestic routes in advance - prices i didn't think they'd even consider offering before 2025-2026.

Of course on some of the longer and more monopolistic routes - those are still being gouged - but when has any company in country not done that in any segment when given the chance.
 
The difference in domestic is there's no competition. If Virgin are happy to sit back and reduce their service offering, there's absolutely no incentive for Qantas to do anything. It's really all about competition and the environment. Put QFs domestic J product in Europe and watch everyone flock to it because its a cut above everyone else.

Interestingly QF has actually started offering a more reasonable J pricing for some domestic routes in advance - prices i didn't think they'd even consider offering before 2025-2026.

Of course on some of the longer and more monopolistic routes - those are still being gouged - but when has any company in country not done that in any segment when given the chance.

Yes when you just compare QF domestic recliners with similar length flights on BA or LH Eurobusiness I know which I would prefer for seating.

But QF need to lift their game on catering and other areas.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top