Purchasing non Australian flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsonb

I am about to buy 2 tickets on Qatar Bangkok to London and the Qatar website quoted in Baht. How can I find out what exchange rate will be used as I have had no luck with AMEX direct. I know I will get slugged a 3% conversion fee but want to know the spot rate.

Thanks

I don't think you will be able to find out. Exchange rates used by banks when charging credit cards seem to be a closely guarded secret.

That said, the exchange rate to the baht today is 32.9. I would expect a bank to use, at worst, 29, but I would doubt you'd do better than 30.

Two other points. First, I would try to replicate the price from the Qatar website on another website, like Expedia or Webjet. They will charge you in Australian dollars. Second, for future use, you may like to consider the 28 Degrees MasterCard. There is no annual fee, it doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee and the exchange rates are generally very, very good.

Would also recomment jetabroad.com.au

although as always if you change fees with an agent are much more

After calling AMEX several times (Platinum Care) I was finnaly told its closely aligned to the daily Rueters rate. I also called Qatar in Austalia to get a quote for comparison.

Qatar Australian Office (AUD$3400 BKK - LHR, ROM-BKK in Business
Expedia AUD$3402 per person
Qatar Website THB$192780 converts to $6051 for 2 pax including the 3% conversion fee meaning $2936 per person.

Got to say very imperessed with AMEX FX conversion rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back