Points on Balance Transfers....again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbage74

Intern
I know there has already been some discussion about points earned from balance transfers, however I was wondering about a few things.

(1). Can you earn the points from all the cards, Visa, Mastercard, Silver, Gold, Plat?
(2). Do they issue (exluding delays, stuff-ups etc) the points each month/time you perform a balance transfer? Or only for the first transfer when approved for the card?
(3). If (2) is OK for points on Monthly transfers. Is it possible to use an AMEX Gold Maximiser for purchases, transfer balance to Citibank Visa, transfer that balance to any other card, and then again transer balance to Citibank but this time a Mastercard. Thus earning 3.5points per $?

Thank you in advance.
Malcolm.

You don't have to have an outstanding balance on another card to do a balance transfer because citibank does not ask for proof of the outstanding balance. Points are credited to your acount 6 to 8 weeks after the transfer is made. You could do what you said but all the cards will likely be linked to the same citibank rewards account and they have rewards points capping. The points are awarded on most balance transfers not just the first one. If you have say a $10,000 limit on your citibank card then you could do a balance transfer every week for $10,000 to any card you like, but once you reach your maximum rewards total there is not much point.

johnsmith said:
You don't have to have an outstanding balance on another card to do a balance transfer because citibank does not ask for proof of the outstanding balance. Points are credited to your acount 6 to 8 weeks after the transfer is made. You could do what you said but all the cards will likely be linked to the same citibank rewards account and they have rewards points capping. The points are awarded on most balance transfers not just the first one. If you have say a $10,000 limit on your citibank card then you could do a balance transfer every week for $10,000 to any card you like, but once you reach your maximum rewards total there is not much point.

some good advice there...

points on balance transfers with citibank platinum visa

I just made a balance transfer last month by filling a form on the internet then posting it. My account was debited with $10000.00, so I called Citibank Rewards got told that you do not earn points on balance transfers. I told them that I was not interested in the cheap interest rate offer I just wanted the points. They still insisted that i do not earn points. They transfered me back & forth betweeen their card centre and rewards centre. Finally they said they will investigate the matter. Does anybody know if you still earn points on balance transfers? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I did a $20,000. BT last year, and asked the same.
I emailed inquiries (secure online) and never got a response.
Did I really expect anything else from CB???
At least I got a 6.9% rate for the "life of the loan". (I only pay the account off each month - not use the card for ANY purchases)

Alas, CB has caught on, that we all have been taking advantage of them!

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back