SeaWolf

Established Member
Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Star Alliance
Gold
I've been debating getting on board with the Platinum Charge card but I have a question for those who have it, how does the 2.25 points rounding work?
Do they tally up all purchase over a month and then calculate the points or is it like the credit cards where each individual transaction produces points?
I'm guessing that fractions of a point aren't allocated, so does a $5 transaction result in 11 points and a $7 result in 16 or is the rounding always down?

The dollar value is truncated and then the bonus applied.

Most recent charge was $10 and credited as 23 base points. However $4.90 was 9. Rounding applies to this too so they can and do round down twice.

Last edited:
The dollar value is truncated and then the bonus applied.

Most recent charge was $10 and credited as 23 base points. However $4.90 was 9. Rounding applies to this too so they can and do round down twice.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was after.

From my testing, the rounds of rounding are:

1. First round DOWN to the nearest dollar. For example, $2.50->$2, $3.99->$3, $5.00->$5

Then multiply that rounded figure by 2.25. For example, $2->4.5 points, $3->6.75 points, $5->11.25 points

2. If the fractional number of points is 0, do nothing. If it is 0.25, then round down the number of points. If it's 0.5 or 0.75, then round up the number of points. For example, 4.5 points->5 points, 6.75 points->7 points, 11.25 points->11 points

From my testing, the rounds of rounding are:

1. First round DOWN to the nearest dollar. For example, $2.50->$2, $3.99->$3, $5.00->$5

Then multiply that rounded figure by 2.25. For example, $2->4.5 points, $3->6.75 points, $5->11.25 points

2. If the fractional number of points is 0, do nothing. If it is 0.25, then round down the number of points. If it's 0.5 or 0.75, then round up the number of points. For example, 4.5 points->5 points, 6.75 points->7 points, 11.25 points->11 points

Yes it is a bit swings and roundabouts as in my $10 logged as 23 points. I'd need to load a few months' activity into a spreadsheet but knowing Amex I'm sure the rounding is in its favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back