Platinum CC Free Gold Charge Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelix

Intern
Hi all,
received an invite (direct mail piece [letter]) to take up a Gold Charge card fee free today. Just wondering if there is any benefit in taking them up (besides the obvious) ive been looking to scrap my Qantas Co branded CC and retain my Plat CC and perhaps use a charge card. I currently Direct debit my Plat CC and never have paid a cent of interest (mostly likely why they targeted me).

The offer is fee free for life as long as I retain my Plat CC. so on the surface I see no detriment to take them up on the offer.. They have tried to get my on Plat Charge twice for $600 now to no avail. Gold charge benefits worth it?

Ideas? who else got this?

i'm assuming you are talking about amex. if it's a standard gold card there is no rewards program with it. you will need to join accent or choices rewards or what ever amex have these days.

i was lucky enough to get the amex qf standard card fee free for life. tend to use it as they charge a lower forex conv fee than citibank.

i'm assuming you are talking about amex. if it's a standard gold card there is no rewards program with it. you will need to join accent or choices rewards or what ever amex have these days.
The OP refers to an offer of an Amex Gold Charge card not an Amex Gold Credit card.

I have just received this offer today.

The bait they are hanging in from of me is:

Use your Gold Card for purcases of $30 or more ten times and you'll receive 5000 Bonus Points with your compliments.

But this is what follows:

earn 1 Membership Rewards point for every $1 you spend. Of course you will still earn 1.5 Membership Rewards point for every $1 you spent on your Platinum Credit Card.

They are so honest......

Should I go through the effort just to get 5000 points? Such a dilemma.

I have just received this offer today.

The bait they are hanging in from of me is:

Use your Gold Card for purcases of $30 or more ten times and you'll receive 5000 Bonus Points with your compliments.

But this is what follows:

earn 1 Membership Rewards point for every $1 you spend. Of course you will still earn 1.5 Membership Rewards point for every $1 you spent on your Platinum Credit Card.

They are so honest......

Should I go through the effort just to get 5000 points? Such a dilemma.

If you have the time, then yes why not ;)

$30 x 10 = $300 .... = 5,000 points

I received the offer as well - my points promo was also 5000 points for every ten transactions over $30, though mine was to a maximum of 25,000 points. Promo period is from 1st November - 31st January, and sign-up for the card has to be undertaken by 30 September. For me it's certainly worth signing up with 25,000 points on offer (should be easy to hit that without too many worries :) ).

Should I go through the effort just to get 5000 points?
That's up to you, but they sold me on the fact that the Gold Charge comes with Buyer's Advantage which effectively increases warranty on some items by another year. Useful if buying items with less than five years warranty.

I got an attempt to upgrade to the Plat Charge.
Points bonus nice, annual fee not so nice.

I also received this offer for a Gold Charge Card.

To Summarise prior posts and some additional information:
  • It's a companion card to my existing Plat Credit Card.
  • No additional annual Card Fee on the Gold Card.
  • MR points accumulate to the same account as those for the Platinum Credit card.
  • 5000 bonus MR points for every 10 purchases of > $30 between November 1 and January 31 to a maximum of 25,000 bonus points.
  • 1MR point per AUD spend.
Calculations?

For 25,000 bonus points, then minimum spend is 50*$30 = $1500.
Minimum Points earned would be 26,500.
Same spend on Platinum Charge Card would earn 2,250 MR points.
So for me, at least it was a no-brainer.

For 25,000 bonus points, then minimum spend is 50*$30 = $1500.
Minimum Points earned would be 26,500.
Same spend on Platinum Charge Card would earn 2,250 MR points.
So for me, at least it was a no-brainer.

I think you mis-understood the promo.

Just to check, I called AmEx, and the guy confirmed that the bonus 5000 points is once off.

So, gold card $30 x 10 + 5000 bonus = 5300 points

Platinum credit card $30 x 10 x 1.5 = 450 points.

Once you done your $30 x 10 transactions, the promo is practically over. You don't get another 5000 bonus from another $30 x 10.

That's how I read the letter, and the customer service confirmed this.

Exact text from offer letter:
Use your Gold Card for purchases of $30 or more ten times and you'll receive 5,000 Bonus Points³ with our compliments. You can earn a total of 25,000³ points between 1 November 2009 and 31 January 2010 ...

³To qualify for the 5,000 Bonus points you must use your eligible Gold Card to make a minimum of 10 eligible purchases during the promotion periods of 1 November 2009 to 31 January 2010. Eligible purchases are minimum purchases of $30 or more per transaction. A maximum of 25,000 points only will be awarded to eligible Card members during the promotion. ...
Make of that what you will.

I do note the omission of "Bonus" when referring to the 25,000 limit; if that means that the maximum points that can be earned during that 3 month period, including normal and Bonii, is 25,000 then so be it.

I'll report back after my 20th transaction in November. I'll still be up to 4,700 points better off.

My letter has the same text as that contained in serfty's and my reading of it is that it's a possible 25,000 bonus points too. Given some of the other comments made by customer service in the past on other promos I'd take what they have to say with a grain of salt. Like serfty says though, we'll know after the 20th transaction one way or another. :D

How do I get one of these letters given I already have the Platinum credit card? :?:

Seems like everyone else is getting the offer.

How do I get one of these letters given I already have the Platinum credit card? :?:

Seems like everyone else is getting the offer.

I'll join you, with not receiving the offer (yet) :rolleyes:

Maybe us Sand-gropers aren't important enough.

No special offers for me ever since I joined AMEX, i feel so unloved. I'm already on the Plat charge card so maybe they'll offer a FREE black card? ;):mrgreen:

Just a heads up:!:

The offer letter/documentation seemed to indicate to me that any Memberships rewards enrolment would be automatic. But this apparently is not the case.

I received my free charge card, activated it and performed a small test purchase.

Two days after I could see online that it had posted, no MR points had appeared. I called & was advised I had to request the MR account activated and linked to that of the Platinum CC and that no points would accumulate from the charge card until I did. There were not going to backdate this to the small test transaction but did relent.

A subsequent transaction has now posted as I would expect.

T-10 days and counting to the bonus offer.

Exact text from offer letter:
Make of that what you will.

I do note the omission of "Bonus" when referring to the 25,000 limit; if that means that the maximum points that can be earned during that 3 month period, including normal and Bonii, is 25,000 then so be it.

I'll report back after my 20th transaction in November. I'll still be up to 4,700 points better off.

Of course the a very literal reading of the combined conditions is very, very nasty and sneaky, as it can be interpreted as:

1. A single bonus for 5,000 for any one card member
2. A maximum of 25,000 bonus points for eligible card members for the promotion - in other words, the total that AMEX will award across all cardmembers is 25,000 points - so the first 5 member get them, tough luck for everybody else:shock:

the total that AMEX will award across all cardmembers is 25,000 points - so the first 5 member get them, tough luck for everybody else:shock:

I can see so much future in you, I am going to hire you! How much do you want? Name your price!

Just checking on whether anyone has received their bonus points yet for this promo? I completed my first lot of ten $30+ transactions on the Gold Card over the weekend and no sign of the bonus points (though the transactions have appeared on my Membership Rewards transaction list). I guess I'll give it a few days to see what comes through, fingers crossed they'll pop up swiftly enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back