Platinum Card, what will I get for $900

Status
Not open for further replies.

jingles

So i am thinking of applying for the Plat card as my current Amex credit limit is being exceeded regularly and Amex will not lift it as i have had an increase in the last 6 months (An increase of $300, thanks..).

Besides what is mentioned on the Amex site what will i get for my $900 per year?
For example someone told me there is an AFR subscription included at no charge, is that true?

Secondly what is the major difference between the charge and credit card?
From what i can see the credit card is a normal card with a few perks, there is no priority pass membership and so on?

The charge card being a charge card, is the payment still the same. ie, you get a bill and have a few weeks to pay the bill (like a credit card) or do they issue the bill and expect immediate payment?

Thanks

Besides what is mentioned on the Amex site what will i get for my $900 per year?
For example someone told me there is an AFR subscription included at no charge, is that true?

The charge card being a charge card, is the payment still the same. ie, you get a bill and have a few weeks to pay the bill (like a credit card) or do they issue the bill and expect immediate payment?

Thanks

Hi,

You do get a AFR Weekend subscription and a BRW subscription. Payment is due in full after 21 days from statement and PP does come with the charge card.

You also get a free Plat Credit card which comes with a free flight.

ejb

Not much.
Look at Ultimate unless you really think the concierge idea might help you.
It is half the price and you get the free flight and varible numbers of bonus points after signing and starting use.

I've been thinking of getting a Plat charge for a while (and was recently again offered one for $450 for the first year).

Is there any advantage at all of using the Plat Charge card instead of the Amex Plat credit card for purchases when you have both? Ie, have the Plat Charge sitting in the wallet and getting all the benefits of it, but pushing all expenses through the Plat Credit card instead?

I presume the MR points from the Plat credit card end up in the same MR account as the charge card, the points earning is similar etc etc.

Anything I'm missing?

I've been thinking of getting a Plat charge for a while (and was recently again offered one for $450 for the first year).

Is there any advantage at all of using the Plat Charge card instead of the Amex Plat credit card for purchases when you have both? Ie, have the Plat Charge sitting in the wallet and getting all the benefits of it, but pushing all expenses through the Plat Credit card instead?

I presume the MR points from the Plat credit card end up in the same MR account as the charge card, the points earning is similar etc etc.

Anything I'm missing?

The only real difference I have noticed is an annual summary on the charge card.

Wasn't aware of the AFR/BRW subscriptions - are they for the personal card or the business platinum?

The only real difference I have noticed is an annual summary on the charge card.

Wasn't aware of the AFR/BRW subscriptions - are they for the personal card or the business platinum?

I have the Business Plat so maybe it is only for Business Cards.

ejb

I was under the impression that for the Buyers Advantage Warranty Extension the purchase had to be made with the Charge Card rather than the Credit Card - perhaps others can confirm? The Car Rental insurance also seemed to indicate that it needed to be paid for with the Charge Card. The other travel insurance aspects all seem to be in effect regardless of which card you use though (or even if you don't use an AMEX at all from my reading of the Charge Card's T&C's).

I was under the impression that for the Buyers Advantage Warranty Extension the purchase had to be made with the Charge Card rather than the Credit Card - perhaps others can confirm? The Car Rental insurance also seemed to indicate that it needed to be paid for with the Charge Card. The other travel insurance aspects all seem to be in effect regardless of which card you use though (or even if you don't use an AMEX at all from my reading of the Charge Card's T&C's).

Correct the buyer's advantage and Loss damage waiver are only on the platinum charge...
This has pretty much always been a differentiator between Amex charge and credit cards and part of how they justify the Annual fees for charge cards.

The charge card insurance T&Cs indicate that having the card provides the cover, however when claiming back expenses these have to be charged to the platinum charge card.

The two major advantages of the Platinum Charge Card that I see are:

The Buyers Advantage. gibspmuh, I believe you are correct when you say that it only applies to purchases made with the Charge Card.

The other big advantage of the Plat Charge Card is the provided travel insurance is very good and better than any of the others to my knowledge.

IMHO the free flight and insurance pretty much pay for the card and I'm yet to be convinced that the others compare because of these.

OK thanks - I wondered if it was an unwritten benefit that we might get it also - being non-biz plat.

The biz plat is $300 more than the personal one. You can subscribe to those with the $3xx

For your $900 you also get:

Priority pass: Lounge access worldwide
SPG gold membership upgrade
Priority Club gold upgrade
Free amex plat Credit card, which includes the free flight

The AFR and BRW are only for the business plat card.

Thanks for the info guys, sorry it took me a while to get back here i've been flat out lately.
I will probably apply for the card soon, not sure if i want the 50,000 points or half price first year.

A google managed to find that the subscriptions are only on the business card.
Platinum Business Card

I find it strange how it also has a lower income requirement when it is much the same card.

Priority pass: Lounge access worldwide

What membership type is it?

Payment is due in full after 21 days from statement and PP does come with the charge card.

Thanks, that's what i thought but somewhere i read that payment was expected immediately upon the statement being issued (Maybe it was for another country issued card)

I would have thought the only benefit to having both was to use the credit card so you do not need pay the balance off in full, which is less than ideal advice.
If you pay the balance off each month then you may as well use the charge card.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back