Planning in advance-2007 Platinum challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,547
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Also note that Singapore-Bali is only operated once/week by OneWorld. So iy can be a risky option and might leave you strandard in SIN for a while if you miss it. More options from HKG with CX.
 
Your simple solution to home security. Quickly view what’s happening at home when you're not there, giving you peace of mind.

Simple plug-in installation means you’ll be up and running in no time.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
12,366
Solutions
1
Points
905
Now I note that Tiki is also going to go to the US in 2008....
and that the last part of the trip seems rushed (ie only a quick stop in London)
So I assume Tiki is limited in time (which is how many weeks?)
and in my case such a second trip would also be attractive (or to Canada).
For me this is attractive as my holiday time may not be able to be too long in one hit.
The route (or similar to it) that Tki has indicated interests me as I would like to go to both South America and Europe.
I would minimise time in SEA as i have travelled there extensively.

Now I am no ATW or AA expert, only a novice and so am eagerly learning
But just as an idea, would it be be a worthwhile strategy to???:
Split the ATW by inserting a seperately ticketed fare to the US return using a west coat or Canadian City as a stopover

ROUTE MILES REDEEM EQP PLT BONUS
BNE SYD 461 500 500
SYD PPT 3807 1904 1904
PPT IPC 2645 2645 2645
IPC SCL 2337 2337 2337
SCL LIM 1543 1543 1543
LIM PEM 534 (domestic LP no miles or points)
PEM CUZ 196
CUZ LIM 363
LIM GRU 2154 2154 2154 2154
GRU GIG 219 (surface but counts in 34,000 miles RTW)
GIG JFK 4807 4807 4807 4807
JFK to West Coast or Canada....Pause ATW travel
Return to Australia on a seperate ticket (reward or purchase)
End Holiday 1.
In my case this would be back to MEL
Start Holiday 2
Fly back to where ATW paused (reward or purchase).
West Coast or Canada....to LHR Resume ATW travel

LHR HEL 1146 1146 573 1146
HEL SIN 5766 5766 2883 5766
SIN BNE 3824 1912 1912 1912
TTL MILES

GRND TTL
ADVANTAGES
**Such an intenary gives two ""ATW"" journeys (which is plus for me but may not be for Tiki).
In my case a big plus would be the extra time that I could then spend in Europe on trip 2.
**The second trip would be entirely on Higher Status. (though a second later US trip would be too)
so would this just be impratical and daft...or does it have some merit and advantages? Your thoughts?

PS I understand ???? that with OWE explorer that it may also be possible to add on a trip 3 which would be a long haul Australian Domestic leg,
but note as mentioned earlier in the string that the PPT trips would not be possible if this was done due to T&C of a Global explorer ticket.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
There is no problem with splitting the ATW into 2 trips. You might also consider flying across to Europe and starting an ATW ticket of some description there to do the trip back to Oz and around to the UK for next time where you can continue the original ATW journey

Dave
 

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
12,366
Solutions
1
Points
905
thanks Dave,

I must admit that my head is certianly spinning with possibilities and whatever my next major international ticket purchase is , it will certainly bea lot more strategic than it would have been pre-joining this site not long ago....and in particular due your TIPS along witha few other notable posters.

Cheers Scott

PS My eldest daughter is also off on French Exchange over Christmas this year...so airlines are chosen by the program and so hence a "lucky dip". I am sure this site will allow me to maximise he benefit I can obtain for her from this lucky dip flight/s.
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
lovetravellingoz said:
Have you looked at prices yet??

Out of curiousty I just hada look at one discount flights provider...

29,000 Miles
Melbourne - Auckland - Papeete - Easter Island - Santiago - Buenos Aires - London - Dublin - Helsinki - Singapore - Bali - Melbourne

Though I note you are going for 34K

Low Season High Season
26,000 Miles $2539 $3089
29,000 Miles $2949 $3199
34,000 Miles $3449 $3669
39, 000 Miles $4019 $4189


and by continents..

Basic Season Peak Season
4 Continents$2949 $3199
5 Continents$3449 $3679
6 Continents$4019 $4189


And so if you wanted to chase points and status the continent based fares could be cheaper.....


Plus taxes for all....minimum extra $300 plus

Looks like Best Flight's prices. Dave Noble is right, I need the QF codeshare on TN, hence the mileage option. The whole trip is 4 weeks with the last bit GIG-BNE about 4 days just to get home. I could also get a RT using LA & QF/TN but then I would have to pay extra for the Peru segments so not much difference in price and RTW is more miles. The RTW trip is July 2007 and the US trip is Oct 2008 so it's more than one year so I can't split it up, but very clever idea!
 

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
12,366
Solutions
1
Points
905
Hi Tiki...so where have you found the cheapest quote...or are you still working on it?

The Best Flight prices are virtually the same as those on the Qantas site and are the same for your Tier.
I assume you have to pay High season??? as it is school holiday. If so leaving later could save you some $.

Tier 3 Economy
01 Jan-27 May
16 Aug-02 Dec
25 Dec-31 Dec
$3,499


+taxes$807.26
=$4,306.26​
 
Last edited:

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
lovetravellingoz said:
Hi Tiki...so where have you found the cheapest quote...or are you still working on it?

The Best Flight prices are virtually the same as those on the Qantas site and are the same for your Tier.
I assume you have to pay High season??? as it is school holiday. If so leaving later could save you some $.

Tier 3 Economy
01 Jan-27 May
16 Aug-02 Dec
25 Dec-31 Dec
$3,499


+taxes$807.26
=$4,306.26​

If booking an ATW, I would suggest going to AA. I think that you will find the "taxes" to be a fair bit less than $800

Dave
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
I am planning the trip to visit the Heiva Tahiti festival which is July every year so no flexibility with dates. The trip to the States is also to coincide with an event so once again, no flexibility.

Where did you get the tax information? Is that just the website estimate or did you do a dummy booking? Can I choose which OW carrier tickets the RTW? I would probably go through a travel agency, hopefully get a discount. Does anyone know a good one in Brisbane? These 2 tickets and the 2 jungle lodge packages are going to be well over $10,000. Huge potenial commission, would like to get some of it rebated if I could. Especially since I will basically do all the work, then just walk in with a list of flights and say "book it!"
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Tiki said:
Where did you get the tax information? Is that just the website estimate or did you do a dummy booking? Can I choose which OW carrier tickets the RTW? I would probably go through a travel agency, hopefully get a discount.


Save yourself hassle and just book direct with AA. If you go to a travel agent they'll try all sorts of reasons to try and force you into booking through their preferred carrier and , if they do not have Sabre, would not be able to book through AA. Also, my experience is that they have less understanding of the rules than ideal

Avoid booking through QF and BA ( or an agent wishing to use them) due to the fuel fines being higher. Even if they offer you a small discount, it would be more than offset on fuel fines

On a recent ticket I have been booking, the fuel fines which would have been added by BA/QF were over $600 more than the $312 I am being charged

Dave
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
Is it possible to book direct with AA and have a travel agent issue the tickets? That way, I could still possibly get a discount. I don't think AA has an office in Brisbane either. Can these be done as E tickets? What I would really like is to book myself online but from prior posts, this doesn't seem possible.

I found one other possible glitch too. The domestic LP flights, I checked on a website recommended elsewhere for L class, even 4 months in advance and every single flight has only 1 L class seat on every domestic flight. There's two of us going on this trip.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Tiki said:
Is it possible to book direct with AA and have a travel agent issue the tickets? That way, I could still possibly get a discount. I don't think AA has an office in Brisbane either. Can these be done as E tickets? What I would really like is to book myself online but from prior posts, this doesn't seem possible.

I found one other possible glitch too. The domestic LP flights, I checked on a website recommended elsewhere for L class, even 4 months in advance and every single flight has only 1 L class seat on every domestic flight. There's two of us going on this trip.

If there is no L class available, then you will have problems. You cannot book online

If the itinery that you select is eligable for e-ticketing , then yes, you can have it issued as an eticket. It really does depend on the itinery

If AA is prepared to release to an agent for ticketing and that agent has Sabre access, then you can, but AA may not release it after doing the work in preparation. AA not having an office in Brisvegas isn't an issue; just pay for it using the 1300-650-747 number and they will post the ticket if necessary . If it is an eticket, then obviously they will just email the itinery

I doubt that an agent will give much of a discount since, iirc, AAs commision levels are not v high

Dave
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
OK, good news and no news:

Good news-it seems that ITN doesn't have the correct fare buckets loaded. I called Best Flights and the lady checked an ad hoc date and saw heaps of L class seats when ITN has only one. So that won't be an issue. Flight schedules for July 2007 probably won't be up until Sept. She can't guarantee what airline they would plate the tickets on, she said they would only use AA if they have 40% of the flights. No one airline has that, AA has the 2 longest routes though: GIG-JFK-LHR. I wouldn't use them anyway but at least they were open and they do have Sabre.

No news-AA isn't open on Saturday so I couldn't get any info out of them. Very hard to do personal calls during the week too, I work in a cubicle and no lunchroom. I'd use my mobile but getting stuck on hold would eat all my credit.

Is there anyway I can check any of this online? AA doesn't have an Aussie based website, just a few for Europe and South America. I want to know what their price is for the RTW if I buy from them and what the fuel fines are.

If I can find one that has Sabre, I would probably use a travel agent that caters to backpackers. They are pretty familiar with RTW tickets.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
If they won't guarantee the plating then I would not use them. Trust me, the TAs will not know the rules any better than the AA ATW desk

The AA ATW desk is in the USA and is the best place to call imo. 0011 1 800 247 3247 is their number. Using a calling card company ( such as encircle.com.au ) it is cheap to call them. Also, due to their location in the US , they are easy to call out of hours

They will put the itinerary in and then you can call back a day later to get the taxes.

The base fare for an ATW ex Australia is the same regardless of which carrier you use but the "taxes" vary wildly

Code:
  2N AUSTRALIA                                                                  
  3N ----------                                                                 
  4N .                                                                          
  5N CURRENCY - AUD                                                             
  6N CONTINENT - SOUTHWEST PACIFIC                                              
  7N .                                                                          
  8N ------------------------------------------------------                     
  9N I FARE  I  SEASON  I THREE  I FOUR  I FIVE  I SIX CO I                     
 10N I BASIS I          I CONTIN I CONTI I CONTI I NTINEN I                     
 11N I       I          I  ENTS  I NENTS I NENTS I   TS   I                     
 12N ------------------------------------------------------                     
 13N I AONE* I ALL YEAR I N/A    I 13539 I 14539 I 15539  I                     
 14N ------------------------------------------------------                     
 15N I DONE* I ALL YEAR I N/A    I 9609  I 10709 I 12039  I                     
 16N ------------------------------------------------------¥ 
 17N I LHONE I MAY 28 - I N/A    I 3239  I 3739  I 4279   I    ¥                
 18N I *     I AUGUST   I        I       I       I        I                     
 19N I       I 15       I        I       I       I        I                     
 20N I       I DECEMBER I        I       I       I        I                     
 21N I       I 3 -DECE  I        I       I       I        I                     
 22N I       I MBER 24  I        I       I       I        I                     
 23N ------------------------------------------------------                     
 24N I LLONE I JANUARY  I N/A    I 2979  I 3499  I 4099   I                     
 25N I *     I 1 - MAY  I        I       I       I        I                     
 26N I       I 27       I        I       I       I        I                     
 27N I       I AUGUST   I        I       I       I        I                     
 28N I       I 16 - DEC I        I       I       I        I                     
 29N I       I EMBER 2  I        I       I       I        I                     
 30N I       I DECEMBER I        I       I       I        I                     
 31N I       I 25 - DE  I        I       I       I        I                     
 32N I       I CEMBER   I        I       I       I        I                     
 33N I       I 31       I        I       I       I        I                     
 34N ------------------------------------------------------

Dave
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
Thanks Dave, I'll try that when the flights are available to book. The return flight would be 4/8/07 so I guess I have to wait until Sept at least.

Where did you get that fare display? Can you put the url or do one for the 34,000 mile option? I can't get a continent ticket because I'm going to Tahiti.

Even the Best Flights lady said QF is the worst for taxes!
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Tiki said:
Thanks Dave, I'll try that when the flights are available to book. The return flight would be 4/8/07 so I guess I have to wait until Sept at least.

Where did you get that fare display? Can you put the url or do one for the 34,000 mile option? I can't get a continent ticket because I'm going to Tahiti.

Even the Best Flights lady said QF is the worst for taxes!


No need to wait. Just book the sectors you wish to confirm now and then have the remainder issued as OPEN sectors



Code:
First    ALL YEAR 13539 AGLOB34
Business ALL YEAR 9609  DGLOB34
Economy  Peak     3129 3239 3739 4279 LHGLOB26/29/34/39
Economy  Basic    2549 2979 3499 4099 LLGLOB26/29/34/39

Dave
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
Thanks for the quote, Dave! you are so much better than that lady in India! I wish you were a travel agent. OK, according to the two other threads, Sydney office closed, so now what do I do? (Bangs head against wall)
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Tiki said:
Thanks for the quote, Dave! you are so much better than that lady in India! I wish you were a travel agent. OK, according to the two other threads, Sydney office closed, so now what do I do? (Bangs head against wall)

For ATW bookings, contact the AA ATW ticket desk at +1 800 247 3247

They know the rules there and can set the ticket up. All you then need to use the Indian suburb of Australia for is just to pay for it

Dave
 

Tiki

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
726
Points
320
serfty said:
Code:
ROUTE        MILES        REDEEM       EQP          PLT BONUS
 
BNE SYD        461           500       500
SYD PPT       3807          1904      1904
PPT IPC       2645          2645      2645
IPC SCL       2337          2337      2337
SCL LIM       1543          1543      1543
LIM PEM        534 (domestic LP no miles or points)
PEM CUZ        196
CUZ LIM        363
LIM GRU       2154          2154      2154               2154
GRU GIG        219 (surface but counts in 34,000 miles RTW)
GIG JFK       4807          4807      4807               4807
JFK LHR       3446          3446      3446               3446
LHR HEL       1146          1146       573               1146
HEL SIN       5766          5766      2883               5766
SIN BNE       3824          1912      1912               1912
 
TTL MILES   33,248        28,160    24,704             19,231
 
 GRND TTL   47,391

One more question. On this itinerary, how many 500 mile upgrades will I get? I'm confused when they start accruing. I am a dual citizen US/OZ and have the option of joining with an Aussie address or American address, but I hate to bother rellies to use their address unless there are major benefits. I can't get an American credit card because I haven't worked there in over 15 years.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Tiki said:
One more question. On this itinerary, how many 500 mile upgrades will I get? I'm confused when they start accruing. I am a dual citizen US/OZ and have the option of joining with an Aussie address or American address, but I hate to bother rellies to use their address unless there are major benefits. I can't get an American credit card because I haven't worked there in over 15 years.

There is no benefit to having a US address , in fact having an Ozzie one is better since you get 4 eVIPs when u reach 1,000,000 miles with an AU address

You start collecting towards 500 mile electronic upgrade credits with the flight on which you attain platinum status

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top