PJs before or after meal?

When do you put your Qantas PJs on during a flight?

• Before takeoff

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • After takeoff but before meal service

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • After meal service

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • I never wear them

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters
Well I am more referring to the entry 'rulebook'. Official Q Slippers obviously not as bad as thongs..

I have voted ‘never’ only because I just received my first ever pair of Qantas PJ’s a week ago and as the flight was from SIN-PER I figured there wasn’t enough time. Just over 4 hour flight. Must have been some good tailwinds. I have however worn them at home. I was super excited to finally receive a pair!!! It’s the simple things!
And welcome to AFF @Fenzylee

I have voted ‘never’ only because I just received my first ever pair of Qantas PJ’s a week ago and as the flight was from SIN-PER I figured there wasn’t enough time. Just over 4 hour flight. Must have been some good tailwinds. I have however worn them at home. I was super excited to finally receive a pair!!! It’s the simple things!
Welcome aboard @Fenzylee :)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Also the last thing i want to do is to evacuate via the slides in PJs - not a good look.
Seriously, in the event of an emergency evacuation, the look wouldn’t be top of my mind. But keep shoes on until about 5 mins into flight, definitely.

The SQ FA did make a comment about him wearing Qantas PJs
I always wear my QR 2022 World Cup T-shirt top on flights (it's quite worn and comfy), including the last Qantas one and no-one seemed to mind 🙂

PJs on until after the seat belt sign goes off up in the air. Shoes come off then, and airline socks over mine. I have been throwing out the socks at the end of the flight, but after giving away ~20 pairs (accrued before I started throwing them away) to a someone local who was going to use them for homeless people*, I've started bringing them back with me to wash.

* I expressed concern at the flimsiness of the socks when this person picked them up from me; she said clean and dry trumped thickness.

I'm not a fan of aircraft loo floors @Katie EK F being the exception!
I bring a (new) pair of hotel slippers and wear them for the flight, then discard afterwards.
Like @Katie , I wear the airline socks iver mine or instead of mine, depending on how cold my feet are and length if flught, for just this reason. Any unpleasantness can go on those which I am not going to wear off the plane or in my shoe

Well yesterday I changed from my shorts to jeans after final meal service about 40mins before landing under the duvet in my j seat, as taking my shoes off meant my socked feet only touched the clean matress topper.

Then once sneakers were back on feet used the loo and changed PJ top to a clean long sleeved top whilst in there.

Even if wearing PJs I tend to keep sneakers on or have thongs handy. I'd never go to the loo in only socks (even if airline socks over the top) as you never know what you are stepping in.

I bring a (new) pair of hotel slippers and wear them for the flight, then discard afterwards.
Yup, that's my method too.
Even if wearing PJs I tend to keep sneakers on or have thongs handy. I'd never go to the loo in only socks (even if airline socks over the top) as you never know what you are stepping in.

Oh you know exactly what you're stepping in which is precisely why you don't go barefoot or in socks only ;)

I always wear my QR 2022 World Cup T-shirt top on flights (it's quite worn and comfy), including the last Qantas one and no-one seemed to mind 🙂
I've got a couple of these and I really like them

I think the next question should be how many people have you spoken to that did not know about the PJs?

I know many, one was on Monday when I mentioned our reward seats and first long haul since before covid. A friend was surprised by the table cloth for our meals let alone the PJs.

For me it depends, my general rule is post take off as I've had some SIN an HKG - SYDs that have returned to the gate for engineering issues. However, for SIN i now give in and just get changed pre-take off as its just too short a flight. For LAX, HKG and on my EK sectors I usually wait until after takeoff.

For me, my question is to do people get out of the suit in the lounge and into causal pre boarding as I'm often a bit stuck for carry on room.

While I understand the yuk factor regarding urine on toilet floors, I have never noticed it as a major issue with J travel. Maybe I’ve been lucky. But more importantly, compared to other ways of transmitting diseases, transmission from urine is right down the bottom of the list. it’s certainly not something I spend time worrying about.

I go up to the front galley and get changed - there is a curtain inside the galley that closes off a corner for privacy - I just flash the PJs at the FAs and ask politely, and they're more than accommodating.

Socks + thongs is the solution re footwear - not acceptable in public, but always acceptable in the air.

Mrs Bashworth won't wear the PJs after seeing Wil Anderson riffing about them back in 2017. She has also banned me from wearing more than the top when I travel with her!

On a different tack I once saw a lady wearing the PJ top walking around the Salamanca Market one Sunday?!?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back