Phone Call From Amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB

Established Member
I hold a rewards maximiser card. Received a call today to check that I was aware that the situation of transferring points to Qantas was changing & was I happy. Wanted me to be very aware that there were still other airlines that I could transfer points to.
When I asked questions re waiver of annual fee etc, not their job, and was told to ring number on the back of my card to have those discussions

What was the caller ID for Amex? Seems like it's not worth answering for those of us who are well aware of the alternatives.

I hold a rewards maximiser card. Received a call today to check that I was aware that the situation of transferring points to Qantas was changing & was I happy. Wanted me to be very aware that there were still other airlines that I could transfer points to.
When I asked questions re waiver of annual fee etc, not their job, and was told to ring number on the back of my card to have those discussions

I received a similar call a few weeks back (Plat C/C for me). Nothing too exciting here.... move along people, nothing to see here :cool:

I have not been contacted by Amex but I did phone and ask about a reduction of fees. I was told that because the "terms & conditions" say there is a fee, there is no way this can be done :rolleyes:. I find that hard to believe as often there are promos offering first year fee free etc. but I have paid fees since day one.

Because of my spend and repayment history, I thought there was a good chance. I didn't say "cancel the card" but I did make it clear I would be reducing the number of cards I hold. If I transfer points out, change direct debits and then get an offer when I call to cancel, I won't be happy.

cancelling amex card

I didn't say "cancel the card" but I did make it clear I would be reducing the number of cards I hold.
Have you ever tried to cancel an American Express Card? It is an almost impossible task. You ring, they say they will cancel, they don’t. You ring again, then they say they have no record of the original call. (A bold faced lie methinks!)

Suddenly a few months later, an annual fee gets charged to the card that should have been closed… this time it’s – “no problem, glitch in our system, I’ll fix it” then get put through to someone else who starts offering you all sorts of cough not to close. (And I mean full on, not just like the orgonal (now forgotten) phone call, where they made some smaller offers.)

And what ever you do, if they ask “can I call you back” - say no, you want it all sorted out now… the call back will never happen, and you guessed it, when you call them it's - “no record they were going to”.

Many of these interactions are direct from script, so I think it is reasonable to assume that Amex wants to make it impossibly hard (at least in my case) to leave their clutches! Beware!

I've found Three (Hutchinson) to be like that ... god damn'd near on impossible!

Re: cancelling amex card

Have you ever tried to cancel an American Express Card? It is an almost impossible task. You ring, they say they will cancel, they don’t. You ring again, then they say they have no record of the original call. (A bold faced lie methinks!)

Suddenly a few months later, an annual fee gets charged to the card that should have been closed… this time it’s – “no problem, glitch in our system, I’ll fix it” then get put through to someone else who starts offering you all sorts of cough not to close. (And I mean full on, not just like the orgonal (now forgotten) phone call, where they made some smaller offers.)

And what ever you do, if they ask “can I call you back” - say no, you want it all sorted out now… the call back will never happen, and you guessed it, when you call them it's - “no record they were going to”.

Many of these interactions are direct from script, so I think it is reasonable to assume that Amex wants to make it impossibly hard (at least in my case) to leave their clutches! Beware!

Why not just send them a letter with the card cut in half with directions to close the account

Send it recorded delivery so that there is a record of it

No need to use the phone at all

Job done

Dave

I went through a similar thing, although I didn't any attempt by Amex to keep it open. Just yes we'll close it. Two months later an annual fee. Ring, yes we'll close it and reverse the fee. A month later get another statement with overdue fee and interest. Ring again - yes we'll close it and reverse the charges. That happened.

I've only ever closed one Amex card (old corp card). Was told to send in a fax (which I thought was a hassle), but card was closed within a day or two.

Closing my CBA Visa card on the other hand, was a 6 month saga...

Why not just send them a letter with the card cut in half with directions to close the account

Send it recorded delivery so that there is a record of it

No need to use the phone at all

Job done
And be sure to pay for the Registered Postage and Delivery Confirmation, using the card before cutting in half and inserting it into the envelope ;)

And be sure to pay for the Registered Postage and Delivery Confirmation, using the card before cutting in half and inserting it into the envelope ;)

yes... i actually wouldn't recommend posting your credit card at all, probably not the best idea ahem...

Returning the card , cut in half , with a statement closing the account has been a normal procedure for closing cards and , in T&Cs in the past, have seen that as the stated method to do so

Doing it in writing is the best way to do such things imo.

Dave

That's weird... I cancelled an Amex card a month ago and it was easy as pie! Easier than the other companies I cancelled with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back