Pay through Auspost bpay towards amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Can you still earn points if you paying via bpay on auspost website through your amex?

Yep. Amex Plat Card earns points.
I use the AusPost Bill Pay route to pay Telstra, gas and electricity (I think).... using PayPal to pay AusPost... and Amex Card Pays PayPal... Amex Plat card earns 2 points per $ (ie 1QFF point per dollar).
Indeed the postbillpay paypal hack works really well on AMEX cards. You will get the full rate if the utility-based merchant accepts Paypal on Postbillpay.

I’m a little late to this party. So just to clarify, are we able to use AX on the AP PBP site (Post Billpay: Pay a bill) despite the page only showing that it accepts Visa and MC? Does this work for any mecrchant offering BPAY Payment?

I was under the assumption post bill pay only accepts Visa/MC. What I could gather from above posts is that you can use paypal ( if it is accepted for bpay) linked to your Amex card.

I will have to give it a go to check how this works as I always use my Mastercard on Post Bill Pay site.

The biller defines what payment methods are accepted. Many only take visa/mastercard/paypal. PayPal is where it gets interesting - that's where you can use your Amex.

IIRC, PostBillPay can take Amex directly, but I've never seen a biller with that option.

Acceptance of PayPal is wider but not universal.

PayPal adds an extra layer of separation from AusPost as a government merchant, so even if your biller takes Amex directly PayPal is probably a better option.

I also think PostBillPay should make all their billers accept all payment forms as a condition of entry. 🤷‍♂️

PayPal adds an extra layer of separation from AusPost as a government merchant, so even if your biller takes Amex directly PayPal is probably a better option.

Not quite - Amex is smart enough to detect PayPal * AP as a government merchant in many cases. It's unreliable for the purposes of evading Amex paying less points.

Not quite - Amex is smart enough to detect PayPal * AP as a government merchant in many cases. It's unreliable for the purposes of evading Amex paying less points.
Yes, I experienced that too, although they seemed to change it a while ago. It's been working for me recently. At any rate, I think that if you find a PostBillPay biller who takes Amex directly, it's probably going to have more chance of being treated as government spend than mediated through PayPal. Certainly Amex used directly in an Australia Post outlet earn as government.

I think it depends on the council, some accept payment this way, some don't. Worth trying.
It does depend. The council for my investment property used to, but stopped. And my local council takes PostBillPay but only Visa/MasterCard, no PayPal or Amex.

(The first council closed PostBillPay online altogether, but told me it was only a temporary glitch. Then when I followed-up months later, the *same agent* told me it was permanent. Don't lie to me, scum.)

For my water utility YVW there was an option to pay by paypal, however I have just checked now and only Visa or MC available for YVW. Can anyone advise which merchants accepts paypal?

For my water utility YVW there was an option to pay by paypal, however I have just checked now and only Visa or MC available for YVW. Can anyone advise which merchants accepts paypal?
Unless it's changed in the last week or two since I last paid YVW...

The UI on PostBillPay is a bit weird now. It initially just shows Visa/MasterCard but then after you move down the page and enter (IIRC) reference number, it eventually enables the radiobutton to select PayPal if the biller accepts it (which YVW did quite recently).

Unless it's changed in the last week or two since I last paid YVW...

The UI on PostBillPay is a bit weird now. It initially just shows Visa/MasterCard but then after you move down the page and enter (IIRC) reference number, it eventually enables the radiobutton to select PayPal if the biller accepts it (which YVW did quite recently).
Thanks you are correct

Agreed - Council rates attract .5 point per dollar, better to pay direct with a Master or Visa paying 1 point ( or close too that ) per dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back