"oneworld" award (140K/280K/420K) Planning - The Definitive Thread | Page 342 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

"oneworld" award (140K/280K/420K) Planning - The Definitive Thread

Jacques Vert

AFF Supporter
If you do a surface sector, I know the miles are counted. But are both cities counted as stopovers?
If you book it online, then no; it is only 1 stopover.

If you have to call to book, then it will depend on the agent who answers the phone. Some will insist it is two so HUACA.

k_sheep

AFF Supporter
Cheers for that. Suspect I won't be able to book online sadly! Currently planning

MCY-xSYD-xSCL-USH (surface sector) -CPT-xLHR-(somewhere in Europe)-YYZ- (surface sector) - YVR-xSYD-MCY

or similar. Trying to see how many Europe legs I can squeeze in there too, but I'm over 33k miles already so won't be much. Fuel surcharges will be awful due to to the QF and BA flights in there but probably can't avoid that.

k_sheep

AFF Supporter
More that the SYD-SCL and CPT-LON legs will have to be booked the day they are released to ensure availability.

I thought about starting in MNL or similar to try to get 2 holidays' worth out of this (and nesting a OSL/ARN-Australia return leg in there on one of the frequent sales) .... but it'll be hard to keep under the 35k miles

Kangol

AFF Supporter
A reminder to those less experienced travelers (like me!) to make sure you get the e-ticket issued asap if making any changes to your Oneworld Award.

Yesterday I rang to add a couple of flights with Cathay Pacific for May 2020 to my Oneworld award that I'm currently building. All seemed to go well & I was told the e-ticket would be issued, the flights appeared in my QFF account all day but no eticket came through.

When I checked this morning sure enough those flights had disappeared along with my first 2 flights SIN-xHKG-AMS with Cathay Pacific in late July 2019 :eek: The only flights I was left with was AMS-xDOH-PER with Qatar in late August 2019, given what I've read on here I was lucky those didn't disappear as well

Checked online and sure enough the Cathay flights for July 2019 were not available to re-book. Tried a few other combinations around that day with various destinations around AMS, TXL HAM etc. Could find availability with British Airways & also a Qatar option. Then I tried Finnair and found availabilty for SIN-HEL, HEL-TXL, which is what I've booked but it does use an extra Stopover.

Used the call back which was better than being on hold for 1.5hrs like I was on Saturday. Managed to get everything booked (the May 2020 flights were still available) & have an 081 e-ticket number for U class seats. The updated ticket info came from eticket@amadeus.com, is that the correct email once you make changes to an award booking?

Still got one more leg to book back to SIN in a few weeks, hopefully that will be a little less stressful!
I would have pushed them to get the seats - it is QFF's responsibility given that you have booked and confirmed them, entered into an agreement, etc.
Voluntering to change is where they get away scot free.

jeza

I would have pushed them to get the seats - it is QFF's responsibility given that you have booked and confirmed them, entered into an agreement, etc.
Voluntering to change is where they get away scot free.
That was my original intention but think the changed routing should benefit me as the traveler, in that I "potentially" save a bit of travel time.

The departure from Singapore is 5hrs later but the arrival time in Helsinki is scheduled to be slightly before I would have arrived in Amsterdam. My plan was to then stay one night in Amsterdam before heading to Berlin via train. The train journey is about 6.5hrs, now I have a 2hr morning flight from Helsinki to Berlin.

As I still have more flights to book in a few weeks I may remove the HEL-TXL booking & rebook standalone booking freeing up a few miles plus a stopover.

Jamesaurus

Intern
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a J award explorer- is it 5k pts for change? how many points or $ if i have to cancel?

cjd600

AFF Supporter
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a J award explorer- is it 5k pts for change? how many points or $ if i have to cancel?
If this is a Qantas Oneworld Award....
5k per person per change ( can make multiple changes at the same time for this 5k).
6k to cancel, full $$ refund.

Jamesaurus

Intern
So after years of hoarding points i've finally booked the following in J (depart in a months time!):

SYD-HKG-JFK (CP)
PHI- LIS (AA)
LIS-MAD-BRU (IB)
BRU-LHR-NRT (BA)
NRT-MEL (JAL)
MEL-CBR (QF)

- taxes and surcharges totalled $1670, got roughly the exact dates I needed for my scheduled appts.

Any thoughts on which lounges I should choose? (Only QF Bronze)
Thank you AFF members for your insights!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

p--and--t

So after years of hoarding points i've finally booked the following in J (depart in a months time!):

SYD-HKG-JFK (CP)
PHI- LIS (AA)
LIS-MAD-BRU (IB)
BRU-LHR-NRT (BA)
NRT-MEL (JAL)
MEL-CBR (QF)

- taxes were $1670, got roughly the exact dates I needed for my scheduled appts.

Suggest you download an app for your phone called loungebuddy. Enter your credit card and airline affiliations. Then enter your trip (including J details). The app will then highlight which lounges you have eligibility and provide reviews etc.

Kangol

AFF Supporter

SYD-HKG-JFK (CP)
PHI- LIS (AA)
LIS-MAD-BRU (IB)
BRU-LHR-NRT (BA)
NRT-MEL (JAL)
MEL-CBR (QF)

- taxes were $1670, got roughly the exact dates I needed for my scheduled appts.

Due to COS, you would only have access to one lounge in most ports anyway, with the exception of HKG (QF, CX J lounges - I think there are 4 now?) and NRT - QF and JL.
LHR T5 has Galleries North and South lounges but they have more or less the same offerings.
You could double check on the oneworld website where you can search the number and type of lounge by airport.

Guvner

Flights
My Map

SYD-HKG-JFK (CP)
PHI- LIS (AA)
LIS-MAD-BRU (IB)
BRU-LHR-NRT (BA)
NRT-MEL (JAL)
MEL-CBR (QF)

Nice work. Is PHI supposed to be PHL?

Daver6

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Being LHR-NRT, it's guaranteed that it would depart from concourse B or C. They don't send long hauls out of A.
How does the lounge in concourse B compare to the north and south lounges in A? I can't imagine it could be worse or more crowded?

jfl

Of the airlines flying between Europe and AU (ie. QR, QF, BA, JL, MH), who has the best product? I'm flying next May and availibility will be opening up over the next few days.

Unfortunately CX is off the table as I'm starting the trip from HK.

Kiwifruit

Intern
Flights
My Map
My vote would also be QR particularly if you are on a route with Qsuites. Did JAL a couple of months ago JFK-HND and although good didn't compare with QR.

• Informative
Reactions: jfl

11sjw

AFF Supporter
That was my original intention but think the changed routing should benefit me as the traveler, in that I "potentially" save a bit of travel time.

The departure from Singapore is 5hrs later but the arrival time in Helsinki is scheduled to be slightly before I would have arrived in Amsterdam. My plan was to then stay one night in Amsterdam before heading to Berlin via train. The train journey is about 6.5hrs, now I have a 2hr morning flight from Helsinki to Berlin.

As I still have more flights to book in a few weeks I may remove the HEL-TXL booking & rebook standalone booking freeing up a few miles plus a stopover.
I had a similar occurrence. Booked my first leg online (PER-JFK) on CX. I've then added to it via the call centre. Checked the next day and all the CX flights had disappeared. Got onto QFF straight away and the staff member had said it would've been on QF to make good. Fortunately this didn't have to be tested as all CX flights were still available.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockitinbuddy