Newbie Question - Best Credi Card for FF Pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyofuu

Hello, this is mm first post as I am a travel newbie. I've never even left Oz, so I know stuff all about FF programs such as QANTAS'. So I apologize if this has been asked before.:oops:

Ive done a fair bit of oinline reaseacrh but am always interested on views from the public as oppsoed to the propoganda from bank websites. So anyone have any views on the best credit card program, Amex, Altitude, ANZ FF Visa etc. I dont want to pay for a uber card that costs $900 a year.

Any comments will be apreciated.

Welcome Kyofuu, to answer your question is a bit like asking how long is a bit of string.

Firstly a credit card needs to be used as a tool for your benefit not to control you.

Now if you're going to pay it off in full every month and not pay interest then FF points are a benefit you may want from your card. If you're going to accrue and pay extortionate interest then look for a low interest card before focusing on FF points.

But and there is always a but, which FF program? Firstly you have to be a member of a FF program before you can start accruing points. I am currently in Qantas FF because I do most of my flying with them.

Who are you going to be flying with the most? QF, DJ (Virgin Blue) or maybe even Tiger? Once you have worked this out then you can work out whether you are going to be flying enough to warrant chasing points etc and then you can look for a credit card that will do what you need.

Happy flying.

Personally I prefer the Amex Platinum Credit Card (different from the Amex Platinum Card which is a charge card).

Fee is $395pa but if you are a member of various professions you get a $100 discount.

It comes with a free domestic flight on Qantas per annum which is transferrable to anyone (although destinations are restricted and if you live in Perth you get maximum benefit).

It gives you 1.5 points per $ spent, no minimum threshholds, and points transfer 1:1 to Qantas.

Downside is that it is not as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard.

Cheers,

J

We use ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa Platinum

Qantas Frequent Flyer Rewards credit card: ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa

We clear the card monthly so don't pay interest on purchases. The points earned plus monthly points from Mr Drivers flights plus occasional bonus points adds up. At the rate we are earning points I can see another US trip in a couple of years for the two of us. Worth checking out all the advantages (travel insurance, etc).

We also, on advice from forum members, will be carrying a Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard for our upcoming trip to the US. Purely for cashing up and using to withdraw cash - no fees for that and the exchange rate is good. This card is fee free but does not have an award scheme.

Our priority on choosing a CC was of course the airline we were most likely to fly with. HVRs advice is spot on. :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I also intend to pay it of each month so to avoid interest. Even if I only get 1 flight every 5 or so years, its still something. The Westpac Earth one seems a good hyrbid, a amex and mastercard linked and also Qantas FF membership thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back