New Amex Centurion Cards

danpez

So there has been a recent press release for all the "new" features for Centurion. The majority are just benefits they removed previously, covid etc, with a timely release along with the considerable increase in yearly card cost (5k to 6.5k) that apparently has been held back for a year or two.

I was going to order one of the new Prada wearables for the wife but was told that it would replace her existing titanium card with the new steel card they have created so they can integrate pay wave chip. They are similar to the platinum, but with blackened back and a printed facade on the front. If the front was like the back it wouldn't be so bad, but I assume the art is not possible at this point.

I complained to my RM about this and cancelled the wearables order. I ordered one of the new ones for my AC card last year to split business expenses out and I am very unimpressed with the quality. I don't even really use the pay wave function anyway since we have Google/Apple pay.

I have given the feedback to my RM that this is a real negative move by Amex, again, and suggested I'd even pay the $200 admin fee that they have for the wearable to maintain having a titanium card. It hasn't aged a day since I've had it, whereas I am ready to order a replacement for my AC card inside a year. It just looks cheap.

I was told if enough people complain, perhaps they will do something about it. Any other members on here with a Centurion account, please raise this as an issue before you find out a year later, if you haven't already had the same experience.

I've attached a photo of my two cards side by side so you can see for yourself.

Attachments

• amex-card-fail.png
    amex-card-fail.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 142
Honestly, the Amex platinum card is better quality than the Centurion.

I thought I was imagining it until my wife said the same thing and she couldn't care less, but noticed after a few days.

Disappointing.

I’ve held off ‘upgrading’ to the new card. I prefer the ‘classic’ look with the numbers embossed on the front even though no one uses imprinter machines anymore so there’s no more need for embossed cards.

I don’t think wear and tear will be a problem for me as mine never see the light of day anyway. I pay for everything with ApplePay (even did an online purchase with ApplePay recently). I did hear somewhere the Australian centurion was meant to be better wearing than the US one. Sounds like that’s not true. Shame.

Yes, I recommend keeping the titanium as long as you can and hopefully they see sense if enough people complain. Mine doesn't expire for a few years yet, thankfully.

I think it won't but I'm not in a hurry to change - when it happens, it happens. I have some more time but except for online purchases, I don't carry mine anymore.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back