No, it won't. There is no way it would be either easier or cheaper to replace the last mile technology now, especially when nobody is really missing out on anything. You didn't answer my question about the actual problem (just vague hand waves about our global rankings/political point scoring) but the actual question is what is missing. What makes this "upgrade" so important. Our power doesn't come in via gold conductors (in most cases, anyway) and our internet doesn't come from the street to the house via a piece of glass (in some cases, anyway) and apparently this makes our network 3rd world?It will cost us all much much more in the future to upgrade Turnbull's "Mixed Technology" systems.
If your answer to what you are missing is 1Gbps (which you would not be able to achieve, sustained, on the GPON infrastructure used for NBN as it is a time-division multiple access medium) then I would counter that I don't have 100Gbps. I doubt either of us could provide actual proof we needed either of those, nor would either of us be likely to be prepared to pay for the actual costs involved, but I am sure both would be prepared for someone else to pay for it for us. Unfortunately as both an Australian taxpayer and NBN customer I can assure you we would be paying extra for either of those options, even if we didn't subscribe to them. I don't see that being a good thing? It's like paying for much more expensive 5G infrastructure while having a 4G phone, because it's newer and better - and no, that is not what is happening because the Australian taxpayers have not funded any carrier's 5G network and my retail phone costs haven't gone up.
It ignores the fact that the NBN has performed fine during the pandemic, a time when relying on existing decaying infrastructure like the trash Telstra RIM infrastructure I was on prior to the NBN would have resulted in actual real technical limitations that probably would have made today's work from home environment less productive, and probably would have impacted the economy.
I can't translate "I am opposed to Malcolm Turnbull's TCP program" into an actual technical issue, so I am still none the wiser as to what we have lost. Bragging rights? The ability to upgrade to speeds not yet offered on the platform, and that 99% of subscribers are not prepared to pay for? And given there's an option for the remaining 1% to pay to get that access (putting their money where their mouth is) then what is the actual problem again?