NAB Plat travel insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isochronous

Established Member
How useful is it?

I've put about $5,000 worth of airfares on it for a US trip to get up to QF WP. If anything goes wrong will it be OK to rely on?

It's underwritten by Chubb. I have it too. Have a trip to IRL coming up in Dec so will see how I go if I need to use it but I read the policy document and it seems pretty good. Rental car excess reduction looks good too.

It's underwritten by Chubb. I have it too. Have a trip to IRL coming up in Dec so will see how I go if I need to use it but I read the policy document and it seems pretty good. Rental car excess reduction looks good too.

Rental car excess is no use in the US.

Why is that?

I'd also like to know that too, although I probably won't be hiring a car in the US.

There is generally no such thing as an excess on rental cars in the US - you either have full unlimited liability, or if you take out the rental car company's insurance, you have zero liability, i.e. no excess, therefore excess reduction is of no use, since it only covers the excess.

Have a look at the numerous US car rental threads for further details.

I bought MEL-SYD-PVG QF return on this for a stay in Shanghai from Feb to July.

I'm dashing back to MEL briefly, and so bought PVG-HKG-MEL return on QF from the QF China office. Will this trip be covered too?

I purchased Qantas Vouchers for our BNE-AKL trip this month with my NAB card. because I didnt directly pay for tickets with the NAB card will the travel insurance apply

[h=2]Overseas Travel Insurance[/h]Cover for travel cancellation, overseas medical expenses, lost luggage (up to $20,000) or travel documents, rental vehicle excess, accidental death and disability, missed connections, personal liability, rental vehicle damage and theft excess waiver, hijack and detention, and kidnap and ransom.
To qualify, use your card to purchase a minimum of $500 of your prepaid transportation costs (including travel by air, rail, road or watercraft) and/or accommodation costs and/or organised land tour costs all of which are inclusive of any charges, fees and/or taxes (excluding foreign currency and travellers cheques) on your NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card and receive comprehensive Overseas Travel Insurance cover for overseas trips up to six months long.

I purchased Qantas Vouchers for our BNE-AKL trip this month with my NAB card. because I didnt directly pay for tickets with the NAB card will the travel insurance apply

[h=2]Overseas Travel Insurance[/h]Cover for travel cancellation, overseas medical expenses, lost luggage (up to $20,000) or travel documents, rental vehicle excess, accidental death and disability, missed connections, personal liability, rental vehicle damage and theft excess waiver, hijack and detention, and kidnap and ransom.
To qualify, use your card to purchase a minimum of $500 of your prepaid transportation costs (including travel by air, rail, road or watercraft) and/or accommodation costs and/or organised land tour costs all of which are inclusive of any charges, fees and/or taxes (excluding foreign currency and travellers cheques) on your NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card and receive comprehensive Overseas Travel Insurance cover for overseas trips up to six months long.

You'll need to contact the insurer to clarify, but I suspect the answer will be no.

Can you pay for accommodation or tours to make up the $500?

You'll need to contact the insurer to clarify, but I suspect the answer will be no.

Can you pay for accommodation or tours to make up the $500?

Correct I just spoke with Chubb the primary insurer and they said must be for direct costs, e.g airfares, hirecar etc. Fortunately I have booked rental car with card so covered ok. Interesting comment was the primary cardholder must be travelling to qualify, e.g spouse cannot travel with infant on separate itineraries.

Correct I just spoke with Chubb the primary insurer and they said must be for direct costs, e.g airfares, hirecar etc. Fortunately I have booked rental car with card so covered ok. Interesting comment was the primary cardholder must be travelling to qualify, e.g spouse cannot travel with infant on separate itineraries.

A word of warning with the rental car - You must have prepaid for it before you leave. If you have booked direct with the large car rental companies and will pay for it at collection or return of the car, it does not qualify.

NZ isn't a big concern for travel insurance anyway, since they provide reciprocal medical cover.

The main thing I use travel insurance in NZ for is car rental excess cover and delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back