NAB credit cards - Are they treated as separate offerings (like ANZ)?

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Background: I'm sure many of you are aware that when applying for ANZ credit cards that the Frequent Flyer and the Rewards cards are treated differently for the 12 month exclusion period. IE. You can get both of these cards within a 12 month period and still qualify for any bonus on offer.

Question: I'm also wondering if this is the case for NAB.

I note that NAB currently has a number of credit card offerings listed here: Credit card offers

These include the NAB Rewards Signature Card and the NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card. I note that the terms for the NAB Rewards Signature Card state, inter alia:

“This bonus points offer is not available to existing customers who have received or are entitled to receive NAB Rewards Bonus Points for a new personal NAB Rewards credit card or NAB Home Loan in the 18 months prior to the opening of a NAB Rewards Signature Card or NAB Rewards Platinum Card.”

Does this mean that you could apply for the NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card and get the points in the same 18 month period as the NAB Rewards Signature Card? IE. Are these cards treated as different?

Apologies if this is already common knowledge. But for me this could be significant, especially given the 18 month exclusion period for NAB.

Anyone with recent experience who can comment?

I'm reading it like you as Nab rewards & Nab Qantas being treated separately like ANZ
No recent experience though 🥲
I will add as an NAB customer Qantas signature offer is 120k points straight up & not the public 90k + 30k after holding card for 12 months.

I don't have personal experience but I believe they are two different offerings. The T&C for NAB Rewards and NAB Qantas Rewards appear specific to its own program, and anecdotally someone else posted they earned both bonus points within the waiting period on reddit.

Nab qantas terms:
This bonus points offer is not available to existing customers who have received or are entitled to receive NAB Qantas Rewards Bonus Points for a new personal NAB Qantas Rewards credit card in the 18 months prior to the opening of a NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card or a NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card (increased from 12 months prior to the opening for accounts opened before 30 November 2022). This advertised offer of bonus points is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.

I'm reading it like you as Nab rewards & Nab Qantas being treated separately like ANZ
No recent experience though 🥲
I will add as an NAB customer Qantas signature offer is 120k points straight up & not the public 90k + 30k after holding card for 12 months.
Are you seeing that offer logged in?

URL?

I’ve done both and received bonus points on the non qantas card even though I cancelled my qantas nav card maybe 3 months before applying for the non qantas nab card.

If the terms and conditions haven’t changed you should still be fine.

Are you seeing that offer logged in?

URL?
In internet banking -> cards -> find the card that's right for you, there is this offer:

Existing customer offer - Qantas Rewards Signature 120k Bonus Points Offer

Offer commenced 15 September 2023. To be eligible for an existing customer offer, you must apply for an eligible new personal NAB Credit Card via the NAB app or NAB Internet Banking, before the offer is withdrawn. NAB may vary or end this offer at any time.

Offers are not available when closing or transferring from another NAB credit card account or in conjunction with any other NAB credit card offer.

The 120,000 bonus Qantas Points offer is only available to members who apply for a new NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card.

To be eligible for the offer, you must apply for a new personal NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card before the offer is withdrawn, be approved, and spend $3,000 on everyday purchases within 60 days of opening your account. Bonus Qantas Points will be credited to your points balance within three months of meeting the spend criteria.

Everyday purchases exclude transactions NAB decides are wholly or partly for gambling or gaming purposes. This bonus Qantas Points offer is not available to existing customers who have received or are entitled to receive NAB Qantas Rewards bonus points for a new personal NAB Qantas Rewards credit card in the eighteen months prior to the opening of a NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card or NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card. NAB may vary or end this offer at any time. Offer is not available when closing or transferring from another NAB credit card account or in conjunction with any other NAB card offer.

The $100 Reduction in Annual Fee offer is available from 15 September 2023 until varied or withdrawn by NAB at any time. To be eligible for the offer, you must apply for a new personal NAB Qantas Signature Card before the offer is withdrawn. The $100 reduced annual fee will continue while the card is open. Offer not available when closing or transferring from another NAB credit card account. Terms, conditions and other fees and charges apply.

In internet banking -> cards -> find the card that's right for you, there is this offer:

Offer commenced 15 September 2023. To be eligible for an existing customer offer, you must apply for an eligible new personal NAB Credit Card via the NAB app or NAB Internet Banking, before the offer is withdrawn. NAB may vary or end this offer at any time.

Offers are not available when closing or transferring from another NAB credit card account or in conjunction with any other NAB credit card offer.

The 120,000 bonus Qantas Points offer is only available to members who apply for a new NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card.

To be eligible for the offer, you must apply for a new personal NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card before the offer is withdrawn, be approved, and spend $3,000 on everyday purchases within 60 days of opening your account. Bonus Qantas Points will be credited to your points balance within three months of meeting the spend criteria.

Everyday purchases exclude transactions NAB decides are wholly or partly for gambling or gaming purposes. This bonus Qantas Points offer is not available to existing customers who have received or are entitled to receive NAB Qantas Rewards bonus points for a new personal NAB Qantas Rewards credit card in the eighteen months prior to the opening of a NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card or NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card. NAB may vary or end this offer at any time. Offer is not available when closing or transferring from another NAB credit card account or in conjunction with any other NAB card offer.

The $100 Reduction in Annual Fee offer is available from 15 September 2023 until varied or withdrawn by NAB at any time. To be eligible for the offer, you must apply for a new personal NAB Qantas Signature Card before the offer is withdrawn. The $100 reduced annual fee will continue while the card is open. Offer not available when closing or transferring from another NAB credit card account. Terms, conditions and other fees and charges apply.

I just applied and was approved via my NAB internet banking app. Those were the terms and conditions I saw. There is no reference to there being a 12 or 18 month exclusion period anywhere there, so I am expecting to get the points despite having a NAB qantas card closed around 12 months ago.

There clearly is an 18 month exclusion clause in the T&Cs for the general offer on the website.
Guess we will see what happens.

I just applied and was approved via my NAB internet banking app. Those were the terms and conditions I saw. There is no reference to there being a 12 or 18 month exclusion period anywhere there, so I am expecting to get the points despite having a NAB qantas card closed around 12 months ago.

There clearly is an 18 month exclusion clause in the T&Cs for the general offer on the website.
Guess we will see what happens.
I hope you screen shot everthing.

Just as an FYI, there's usually a general clause which says that the offer is coverned by the regular terms - which likely includes the 18 months exclusion. There's no need to specifically refer to 18 months if they direct you to the ordinary terms of offer.

EG: "This offer is subject to NAB's T&C's. [T&C's will be a hyperlink to the ordinary terms of credit cartd offers which will no doubt include the limitation period]"

Last edited:
Having read through the terms, I can’t see how they could impose the 18 month exclusion on you. That second paragraph about cancelling a NAB card to apply seems to be the only restriction.

This might be my next churn now.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back