Macquarie no longer issuing credit cards?

sjf

Intern
I recently settled a home loan with Macquarie and wanted to apply for one of their credit cards as part of the package that we are on.

After going around in circles for a bit, I spoke with a banker who advised Macquarie are currently not issuing credit cards due to COVID so I was unable to apply.

I can understand being a little more risk averse during a pandemic, however these guys literally hold the title to our house.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or know any more?

That’s interesting. Their website says you Should be able to apply. See top of page in link

Looks like this is still the case, unless you're applying as part of a home loan package?

I also noticed today that the Macquarie credit cards that earn Qantas points are no longer available or advertised on their website.

There is no possibility of earning or transferring Macquarie rewards to get Qantas points. All we could get now is some gift cards. Not sure if this is really a great option unless getting it as a bonus from the home loan package.

I have a Woolies credit card issued through them I tried to cancel it several years iago after I got a Qudos card.
Couldn’t do it, gave up in the end I settled for a low yearly fee and didn’t use it, although I still got my 10% off one shop a month.
Last month I got an email from them stating that as I haven’t used it for more than 13 months, they would cancel it, which is what I wanted to begin with, sigh!

I have a Woolies credit card issued through them I tried to cancel it several years iago after I got a Qudos card.
Couldn’t do it, gave up in the end I settled for a low yearly fee and didn’t use it, although I still got my 10% off one shop a month.
Last month I got an email from them stating that as I haven’t used it for more than 13 months, they would cancel it, which is what I wanted to begin with, sigh!
We cancelled our Woolies Credit Card online earlier this month.

Approx. $200 in annual fees were due next month. Still get the 10% via Everyday Extra.

It was completely done via online services (https://login.woolworthsmoney.com.au/) with no human interaction.

We had a $0 balance as at last statement; the card had been used here and there over time for a few transactions per month, but not January to ensure a zero balance.

Received a letter in the mail confirming the cancellation 8 days later.

We cancelled our Woolies Credit Card online earlier this month.
Timed that perfectly... received via email today: Macquarie will no longer be offering Woolworths credit cards. Woolworths credit card customers will be moved to a Macquarie credit card and Macquarie no longer offers any credit card products which earn Qantas Points

Hmm have a Macquarie Qantas ‘Black’ card. Haven’t received my notice yet but assuming it’s just a matter of time. Shame they’re withdrawing from CC market. I wonder if they will stick around with other ‘banking’ products like home loans. They cut and run when the GFC hit.

I was a big fan of Macquarie until recently. They had (I thought) good tech and their App was amongst the best and most capable in the market.

But

We have a home loan, our savings and our everyday accounts with them and have been with them for quite some time. We asked them to match the current market offers for our mortgage - but weren't seeking any of the extras like cash backs, just the mortgage interest rate - and they said no. So we're moving it .....

We had the Black credit card very briefly but it was such a poor product (we really only wanted it for foreign transactions) that we closed the account within months of opening it. I have a US Amex with no FTF and if the vendor doesn't take Amex I'm happy to pay the 3% on a decent points earning card rather than endure the annoyance of having a separate card that offers no benefits

But the clincher was that Macquarie allowed around $16k to be fraudulently withdrawn from my (full time student) daughter's account and now they are playing hard ball about compensating her (they have admitted the cough-up and even knew this person was active). It seems likely that we will have to unleash the lawyers.

Use them if it works for you, but that's our experience

Back