Lost your AMEX overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deft

Hey guys
Has anyone lost their AMEX while overseas? Was it replaced within 24hours somewhere near your geographic location almost anywhere in the world?

No one wants to fly back to their Australian home address just to pick up a new credit card.

Hey guys
Has anyone lost their AMEX while overseas? Was it replaced within 24hours somewhere near your geographic location almost anywhere in the world?

No one wants to fly back to their Australian home address just to pick up a new credit card.

Had my Amex chewed up in an ATM whilst transiting through a tiny Czech town, whilst it wasn't replaced within 24 hours (as I wanted to keep travelling rather than stop in one place) I arranged to pick up a new card at the Amex Travel Service Office in Barcelona 2 days later.

Everything was handled promptly and efficiently at no charge to replace the card with a temporary one.

Whilst I'm sure they would move mountains for Platinum and Centurion customers I think a more realistic timeframe for 'standard' customers would be next business day if you are in a major city that can produce cards on the spot otherwise 1-2 business days if the card must be created then couriered to you.

Hey guys

I left my wallet on the plane once going back to LHR. Couldn't find it so rang amex. They said go to the Haymarket office. I walked in and 10 minutes later walked out with a newly minted card. Even asked if i needed to get cash from my bank back home.

This was in 1995 though..

That sounds great! I'm definitely not leaving home without it :D

This is one thing I've been wondering about lately, thanks for the prompt!

It says you can reverse charge call the bank to ask them to cancel if stolen, etc.

Surely the process for doing this in each country would differ based on country code, etc. Or do you just ring the AU number +61 etc.. and it will auto offer a callback facility ?

Thinking of the implications of having something bork up in London vs Madrid vs Instanbul vs Romania etc.

It says you can reverse charge call the bank to ask them to cancel if stolen, etc.

Surely the process for doing this in each country would differ based on country code, etc. Or do you just ring the AU number +61 etc.. and it will auto offer a callback facility ?
Well, the process is generally the same in each country, however, the number you use to call back to Australia varies from country to country.

Basically, the process is that you would call the Australia Direct number in the country you're in, so, for example, if you were in Spain, you would dial 900 990 061 and that would connect you to the operator in Australia. You then tell them you'd like to place a reverse charge call to the number that the bank provided, they ask you your name, place you on hold while they ask the bank if they'll accept your call and then connect you through.

A list of numbers to call back to Australia from each country can be found in the Telecard guide http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/docs/telecard_pocket_guide_c040b_1108.doc in the table under Australia Direct. From most countries, they are free calls.

You can also use a country's overseas operator to make a reverse charge call, but if you don't speak the lingo, it can be a little challenging... :)

In Shanghai a work assocIate bent down to help a person who had taken a tumble down some stairs only to get his wallet pick pocketed from a team of thieves.
It pays not to have every credit card in one spot so you end up without anything but a hotel room.
Amex was quick but it is an anxious time losing everything.

Well, the process is generally the same in each country, however, the number you use to call back to Australia varies from country to country.

Basically, the process is that you would call the Australia Direct number in the country you're in, so, for example, if you were in Spain, you would dial 900 990 061 and that would connect you to the operator in Australia. You then tell them you'd like to place a reverse charge call to the number that the bank provided, they ask you your name, place you on hold while they ask the bank if they'll accept your call and then connect you through.

A list of numbers to call back to Australia from each country can be found in the Telecard guide http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/docs/telecard_pocket_guide_c040b_1108.doc in the table under Australia Direct. From most countries, they are free calls.

You can also use a country's overseas operator to make a reverse charge call, but if you don't speak the lingo, it can be a little challenging... :)

According to that document though, you need a telecard ?

This is one thing I've been wondering about lately, thanks for the prompt!

Thinking of the implications of having something bork up in London vs Madrid vs Instanbul vs Romania etc.

I used to ring Amex reverse charge all the time from the UK, the only thing that makes it tricky is getting the operator through the menu options and the hold music.

To get around this I used a number that bypasses the IVR system: +61 2 9271 8371

I used to ring Amex reverse charge all the time from the UK, the only thing that makes it tricky is getting the operator through the menu options and the hold music.

To get around this I used a number that bypasses the IVR system: +61 2 9271 8371

Do you ring that number directly from your mobile / land line though and it'll give you the option to reverse charge ? Is that number for AMEX only ?

Do you ring that number directly from your mobile / land line though and it'll give you the option to reverse charge ? Is that number for AMEX only ?

No I used a payphone to call the international operator first, they then do the reverse charge call for you - they speak to Amex and ask them to accept the charges (only for Amex)

No I used a payphone to call the international operator first, they then do the reverse charge call for you - they speak to Amex and ask them to accept the charges (only for Amex)

Ah OK, and the number for the international operator would be listed on the payphone somewhere?

Ah OK, and the number for the international operator would be listed on the payphone somewhere?
Yes, in my experience, payphones generally have information about making international reverse charge calls or how to connect to the operator. Just be aware of potential language barriers.

Right or maybe try the local telcos website if you are calling from a mobile or landline

Hmm, I thought there's an auto prompt at the start of every call to AMEX that advises that they're "pleased to accept your international collect call." I've used a telephone operator in Singapore to place a reverse charge call to AMEX in Australia, and the operator was satisfied by that automated message.

Hmm, I thought there's an auto prompt at the start of every call to AMEX that advises that they're "pleased to accept your international collect call." I've used a telephone operator in Singapore to place a reverse charge call to AMEX in Australia, and the operator was satisfied by that automated message.

There is if you are calling Platinum or Centurion...unfortunately I'm not that lucky :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back