Longest Amex card holder in Australia.

My Amex cards show me as a member since '78, which IIRC was when they started operating in Australia. I vaguely recall getting a letter in the mail telling me what a terrific person I was and wouldn't I just love having one of their cards: which, being a sucker for such things, I apparently did and have had ever since.

Sorry I though this was about the length of the Amex card

I guess you are spot on ; if you have been a member with no gaps then your card might actually show the member since information. I am sure you do know that but just clarifying in case I read it differently.

Technically it's the age of your membership with Amex across different cards in my reading.

Wow. Some real veterans here.

Mine is Since 2016, as that's when I signed up to my first AmEx (Platinum Edge with no/reduced annual fee for the first year IIRC).
It's been a rocky journey for the last 6 years (with the reduction of transfer ratios and the removal of local champion, amongst many things) but overall it's let me + Mrs MN travel in SQ R or J for peanuts so can't complain.

1990. I must have been a child…😀

But the reason I got one was “Express cash“. Who remembers that and does it still work???

Before using your regular bank ATM card overseas became a practical thing, you could link your AMEX to any bank account with a “cheque” facility (who still uses cheques?) and withdraw cash fee free and at the bank rate. There were AMEX ATMs (I still remember where one in London was) and usually at least one bank chain per country you could use. This was in 1990. No more travellers cheques (who remembers them?)

Funny thing, I’d linked mine to a Credit Union and when they started charging $1 per month for the privilege of having an ATM card, I went in an cancelled my card. The person there did not believe me that I was already withdrawing cash using my AMEX card…

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back