Large CGT bill payment options

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

I have a $100k+ bill to pay to our friends in Canberra. Looking for the best way to do this and earn lots of points. As this is a personal bill, I cant use RewardPay or similar so looking for any other ideas. I'm an Amex Platinum (personal) card holder so paying normally via this card would incur the 1.54% surcharge and only earn me 0.5 points per $, pricing them at 2c+ which obviously isnt a good idea! Any other ideas? I've got a week to pay so perhaps time to put a new card arrangement in place?

The Dragon CC would be my pick if you can get the card in time.

My Dragon is quite new and rewarded that. Also gave me the sign on bonus and the only thing I have used it for is to pay our friends in Canberra.

Bankwest MC pays 0.66 pts / $ on ATO.

You'll be hard pressed to get a new CC open in a week though.

We have Amplify for Kris times three and World times three.
Amex is wrong cost so don’t bother with using it.

Have also just paid our friends in Canberra with the dragon.

I get another family member to pay some ATO so we are effectively working with 4 cards in our extended family for Kris Miles.

Everywhere I turn it looks as though the Dragon doesnt earn points on ATO payments.

I've had another thought - maybe the wife could apply for an Amex Platinum card in her own name and earn a 120,000 point sign on bonus. We then pay the $100k CGT bill with that card, albeit paying the 1.54% surcharge, but earning 0.5 points per $. That would give the following result:

Outlay : cost of card @ $1,200 plus surcharge of $1,540 = $2,740

Earnings : sign-on bonus of 120,000 plus 50,000 points from ATO payment = 170,000 points

Cost per point : 2,740/170,000 = 1.6c

How does that stack up?

Dragon does pay.
Amex for ATO is next to useless.
By all means do a sign up for an Amex card for the bonus but only do a minimum on that card to achieve a bonus sign on.
2.9 cents a point is a gyp on yourself.

Everywhere I turn it looks as though the Dragon doesnt earn points on ATO payments.

Your information is wrong, so I'd say wherever you are looking is probably best avoided or you are interpreting it incorrectly.
And please, for the love of god don't call the bank to check!

2.9 cents a point is a gyp on yourself.

Where did you get 2.9c from? With my calculation above, I arrived at 1.6c.

Dragon does pay.

From the dragon's Ts & Cs:

4.5 While Points are earned when you purchase goods and services, please note that Points are not earned in respect of the following amounts that may be charged to your Card Account:
• government charges (other than GST payable in connection with the purchase of goods or services on which you earn Amplify Points)

Go 1.45% and divide by two as you earn half a point. That is 2.9cents a point.
The sign on bonus is something we are doing as a separate plan.
I could supply you points at just over half that 2.9 cents if you were a customer.

Dragon and World are still paying on ATO.

Yes I agree with Cynicor. Do not call these banks. One of them is a bit tied up in the Royal Commission.

Ok, if you can't be helped you can't be helped. You've been told by multiple people so far, who are all using the card. You've referenced the exact same T+C that has been there forever, in every card, since way before the ATO was able to be paid via CC. As has bene explained ad nauseum to everyone who finds the magic clause that proves us wrong, it's referencing stamp duty and other such government charges that may be levied on accounts, and not the transactions themselves.

Thanks to all. Advice taken :) Application submitted and conditionally approved. Let's see if I can get this bad boy turned around in a few days.

There are none so blind as those that cant see!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back