Just got approved for amex plat but was declined for reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyladz

Intern
Just got approved for amex plat but was declined for reserve, is it worth keeping still? I also have a qantas ultimate. Any suggestions on what I should do to get the reserve still?

Solution
The Charge Card, as you know, essentially has no limit, but the Reserve taps into the same perceived limit that your Ultimate card uses, therefore, to receive the Reserve card you will need to lower your limit by the amount that the Reserve requires as a minimum (I think around $3000), and then wait the 30 or so days before you can apply again.

This happened to me initially, where I had to take the gamble that lowering one card limit would result in success on the next application. When you then hold both cards, you can close the Ultimate and transfer the remaining credit limit from one to the other.

However, as noted above, the Reserve no longer comes with an extra $400 travel credit for new card holders, and also earns at the...
New holders of the reserve card no longer get the $400 travel credit, so you are not missing out much there. You can ask amex to see whether they are willing to transfer your Qantas ultimate to reserve, but normally you can't transfer across product groups.

Whether it's still worth holding, it's a personal choice but it is hard to justify at the moment since most of the perks are around travel.

The Charge Card, as you know, essentially has no limit, but the Reserve taps into the same perceived limit that your Ultimate card uses, therefore, to receive the Reserve card you will need to lower your limit by the amount that the Reserve requires as a minimum (I think around $3000), and then wait the 30 or so days before you can apply again.

This happened to me initially, where I had to take the gamble that lowering one card limit would result in success on the next application. When you then hold both cards, you can close the Ultimate and transfer the remaining credit limit from one to the other.

However, as noted above, the Reserve no longer comes with an extra $400 travel credit for new card holders, and also earns at the reduced rate of 2 points/$1 compared to the Charge's 2.25 points/$1. I would probably consider one of the other "platinum" credit cards from amex to use as a companion to the Charge... I believe one of them earns at 3 points/$1 for certain items, but obviously these points do not transfer to Qantas. Lots of decisions to be made.

Solution

However, as noted above, the Reserve no longer comes with an extra $400 travel credit for new card holders, and also earns at the reduced rate of 2 points/$1 compared to the Charge's 2.25 points/$1. I would probably consider one of the other "platinum" credit cards from amex to use as a companion to the Charge... I believe one of them earns at 3 points/$1 for certain items, but obviously these points do not transfer to Qantas. Lots of decisions to be made.
Thanks, that’s really good advice. I will take that into consideration. Thanks

I think in the other thread it said that the Reserve without $400 earns at the same rate as Charge
My Edge (and Reserve) goes into the same MR account as Charge and so can be transferred to QFF

I think in the other thread it said that the Reserve without $400 earns at the same rate as Charge
Not in my experience.

From the below screenshot, you can see the difference between a direct debit on the Reserve and a grocery run on the Charge.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 12.51.58 pm.png
My Edge (and Reserve) goes into the same MR account as Charge and so can be transferred to QFF
That may be the case, I had just always assumed that everything below the Reserve was Ascent and only the Reserve joined the Charge in Ascent Premium. Good to know if that's not the case.

What Sam said, but in my case, it was all done over one phone call to Amex (reducing limit of one card and approving the Reserve to the same limit as the reduction on the other card).

But of course both cards were AmEx. If you want to do this on a non-AmEx card, and want to reduce the risk of reducing the limit on one card and still not getting approved for the Reserve, I would call AmEx and tell them what you want to do and ask them to note that on your file. Once the reduced limit on the non-AmEx card goes through, follow it up with AmEx by sending them a copy of the letter and calling them.

Not in my experience.

From the below screenshot, you can see the difference between a direct debit on the Reserve and a grocery run on the Charge.

View attachment 227278

That may be the case, I had just always assumed that everything below the Reserve was Ascent and only the Reserve joined the Charge in Ascent Premium. Good to know if that's not the case.
I received a suggestion to apply for the new Reserve on My Offers despite having the old version already
It does look like the new will only earn 2 MR/$
Incidentally my Business Accelerator goes into a separate Ascent account (with all others going into Ascent Premium)

I received a suggestion to apply for the new Reserve on My Offers despite having the old version already
As did I, despite already holding it.

Can you check your points earned (if you have used the Reserve recently) and confirm if you're getting 2 or 2.25? I know many have the card but don't use it as they have no need.

Can you check your points earned (if you have used the Reserve recently) and confirm if you're getting 2 or 2.25? I know many have the card but don't use it as they have no need.
I still have a couple of direct debits on the Reserve-its definitely 2 MR/$

I can also confirm it is 2 points per dollar spent on my Reserve card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back