Joining Points or Free first year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am looking fora VISA (or MC) to complement my AMEX for when the AMEX is not accepted.

Goal is to maximise points per$ spent aquire the points (including any joining/annual fee).

Now at present Citibank appears to be the best option as it has a 1/ 1 earn ratio.

ie Earth does too at presnt but only till Nov 30.

My main VISA dump wll be about 30K of school fees payed quarterly...which negates say the ANZ card with its monthly cap on 1/1).

I currently have a free Westapac Altitude (ie no fees)due to my mortgage, but the earn rate is only 0.5... so I am missing out on at least 15,000 points (actually higher as there is other VSA spend...as AMEX is not always taken.

Now my question is....has Citibank ever had a joing bonus of points (ie you can get 9500 on a Gold) and a free first year (ie Platinum deal at present).

Or is it one or the other?

I am currently thinking of taking the free Platinum...and then worrying about things in 11 months (ie dump, down grade etc...)..but if I can get a joining bonus anda free first year all the better.

Am I looking for something that never exists??

Have you found a platinum "free first year" offer with Citibank? If you have, I would love to know where you get it from!

I'm going with this option - a Citibank Gold with no annual fee ever ($119 saved every year!)

Citibank Gold Card

No annual fee ever seems good to me - much better than a single year of Platinum free.

beardoc said:
I'm going with this option - a Citibank Gold with no annual fee ever ($119 saved every year!)

Citibank Gold Card

No annual fee ever seems good to me - much better than a single year of Platinum free.

I tried to apply for the Gold Card, but twice I got this:

[FONT=gill sans, arial]Due to a system error, we are unable to process your application. We apologise for this. Please try to submit your application later. [/FONT] [FONT=gill sans, arial]Error fields returned from system are: [/FONT] [FONT=gill sans, arial]FAT_OTH_CAR_NUM_1_ERR[/FONT]

Thanks a lot Citibank :evil: after filling all the details, that's all I get.

It worked for me on the evening of Sunday 10/09/06. Anyone else having difficulties?

beardoc said:
It worked for me on the evening of Sunday 10/09/06. Anyone else having difficulties?

Finally my application has been sent successfully. Hope will get one soon.

Beardoc, maybe u should have a new thread just for this, since you are the source of info (where did u see this?) .... Almost too good to be true .... No annual fee EVER with Free Rewards/Travel Insurance not to mention 1:1 QFF points. Most people in this community looks for this kind of card for AGES .......

One thing to note that you need to have blocks of 10000 points for QFF transfer, sure it can be annoying but we cannot have everything our own way.

I suggest that u print out a copy of this ad just in case CitiBank try to change the condition of the card .....

I will do that. We should continue discussion in the new topic specific to the no annual fee ever topic.

Sweet:)

I had been waiting for a good deal...fora 1;1 points card...

was going to go for the Platinum with free first year.

But FREE for ever Gold is much better .

Great find ..well done

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back