Jetstar launches credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilby08

REWARDS Australia's low fares airline Jetstar has launch of a new low-rate credit card, the Jetstar MasterCard.
Partnering with the card's issuer, Macquarie Bank, the news marks Jetstar's first foray into a product beyond airline and holiday travel, offering consumers a low-rate MasterCard or Platinum MasterCard.
"We aim to do for credit cards what Jetstar did for low fares airline travel in Australia when we launched back in 2004 - to present consumers a choice with real benefits and with a low every day rate of 10.99 per cent,'' Jetstar chief executive Bruce Buchanan said.
"The Jetstar MasterCard will reward users with not only low rates, but also a really simple and valuable rewards program to earn Jetstar Dollars."
'Jetstar Dollars' can be redeemed for Jetstar Flight Vouchers, that can be used to pay for Jetstar flights to over 50 destinations.
Customers accrue one cent in Jetstar Dollars for every dollar spent on everyday purchases, and two cents for every dollar spent on everyday purchases on the Jetstar Platinum MasterCard.

MasterCard Australia country Manager Andrew Cartwright said the Jetstar MasterCard added to the suite of MasterCard programs available to Australians.
Canstar Cannex, a finance research and ratings firm, said the Jetstar MasterCard was the lowest rate credit card on the market offering offered flight rewards. Other features of the Jetstar MasterCard include a zero per cent balance transfer for six months, a $49 annual fee and up to 55 days interest free.
Jetstar, which is owned by Qantas, is also working with the Qantas Frequent Flyer business to introduce Qantas Frequent Flyer points as a reward option for account holders.

Jetstar launches credit card | Business Breaking News | News.com.au

$49 with 55 days int free isn't bad. I wouldn't use it though, I'll stay AMEX/VISA (both QF)

So you have to spend $10,000 to get one $100 voucher?

Other than that, the fact that it automatically sends vouchers out when you hit $100, with vouchers expiring in 3-6 months, basically means you have to use it quickly for a discount on a fare, rather than accumulating a lot of points and booking a holiday, or something in Starclass for free.

Press release PDF.

Hmm. I had to smile when I saw the words Jetstar and Platinum in a sentence together.

Do you really think there is anyone out there that wants a platinum credit card and wishes to fly Jetstar exclusively?

So you have to spend $10,000 to get one $100 voucher?

On the standard card. Only need to spend $5,000 on the platinum card.

What may be interesting is the conversion rate to QFF points, if they get that option working

Hmmm, "Jetstar Dollars". Sounds a little less valuable than "stripper dollars"...

Even with the $5000 spend per $100 voucher...
I'd rather go with $60000 spend per one way international first class on QF.

EW! Looks ugly and cheap - probably just what they were looking for. Don't think there is much chance of canibalising the QF business.

Interesting choice not to partner with AMEX - Although given the target market it may not be that surprising.

Another yawn product.

NEXT!

Hmm. I had to smile when I saw the words Jetstar and Platinum in a sentence together.

Do you really think there is anyone out there that wants a platinum credit card and wishes to fly Jetstar exclusively?

What next? Tiger releases a Platinum black metal AMEX?

The only positive I can see from this card is the no credit card surcharges when purchasing JQ flights (which can be offset against the annual fees).

Yesterday I booked two domestic returns and paid $12 in cc surcharges :( :shock: then Last month I booked seven domestic returns and paid $42 in cc surcharges - that's already $54 in fees and those savings already is already a benefit against the annual fee.

I've also had a series of other JQ bookings in the past 12 months, so if I had this card I would have been ahead.

The question is, will I go out of my way to apply for one? haha probably not as I've got four other cards already and I can't even keep track of them.

What next? Tiger releases a Platinum black metal AMEX?

They have successfully diluted the Platinum down to nothing. This one requires the same income hurdle ($30K p.a) so its nothing more than a grab for $100 extra in annual fee and a higher interchange for the bank.

World Mastercard and Visa Infinite here we come! Someone in Australia HAS to issue these sometime soon.............

That is for existing JetMail members only.
It is for JetMail members as of 29th Oct... I joined up yesterday and promptly received the email. I am going to join with no annual fee (after $1k spend) and get the $100 JQ voucher.

I have to say all things considered, from a points perspective it's pretty worthless, you get 100 voucher that has to be booked in 3 months and flown in 6 months :shock:

On top of that you can't earn any point over $50,000 dollars and if you did spend $50K you would get 5 seperate vouchers?

I picked all this up from a really good blog post found here:

Will the Jetstar Mastercard take off? - the mozo blog

Like someone said seems cheap and nasty ;)

I'm tempted to apply purely because of the 0% interest free for 6 months on balance transfers. Usually I pay everything in full each cycle, but I'm having a bit of a cash flow issue right now ( 2 x dONE4 purchases, substantial strata rectification works bill). 0% for 6 months will help me really well :)

The card has been good for me... my annual fee was refunded and I have a $100 JQ voucher to spend by April. There is also a new promotion coming up with $1 flights.

Thousands of Fares starting from $1!

Jetstar said:
In a few weeks we are going to have an amazing sale to thank those who have applied for the new Jetstar MasterCard.

THOUSANDS OF $1 FARES will be available on selected domestic routes, exclusively for cardholders, those whose applications are pending and JetMail members who have applied. As well as other amazing sale fares on selected domestic and international routes.

If you haven't applied yet there's still time to get access to the sale. Just apply for a Jetstar MasterCard by midnight Wednesday 3rd March 2010. We will then email you a link in a few weeks so you can access the sale.

If you have already applied for a Jetstar MasterCard just keep your eye out for the email that gives you access to the exclusive sale.

There are lots of reasons to apply for a Jetstar MasterCard.
- Super low rate of 10.99% pa on purchases
- 0% Balance Transfer for 6 months
- And the Jetstar Dollars program

The card has been good for me... my annual fee was refunded and I have a $100 JQ voucher to spend by April. There is also a new promotion coming up with $1 flights.

Thousands of Fares starting from $1!

I recently got this card as well. The annual fee wasn't waived but I did get the $100 JQ voucher which I have already used, and looking for those $1 promos (hope they're GOOD).

CC balance transfers were seamless so I've got 6 months interest free, which is good enough until August when I'll pay in full, when I get my 09/10 year tax refund ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back