Is NAB going to "keep" Diners?

albyd

Established Member
I've had a Diners Club card for some time and have the MasterCard combo now. I find I can use the MC but the Diners in not so many places but am happy to continue on with it.

I'm wondering if there is any insight into NAB's plans for Diners. Specifically:
  • Will they keep it going (and hopefully improve on it)? You can't apply for one of any "type" and there are no rewards point information on the website;
  • Their fees are willfully ignorant of the competition - I applied for a supplementary card (for the MC) and that's $50pa - even AMEX stopped charging for these years ago;
  • It takes Diners forever to process anything - 3-4 weeks was the estimate for adding a supplementary card - don't we have computer systems now? Didn't they get access to the Citi (and now NAB) computing infrastructure?

Just my observations - I hope it will continue as it still has a place in my wallet - even after Citi shredded the rewards program after the RBA's last changes even though they didn't apply to Diners and I'm assuming Diners hasn't changed their merchant fees like Amex has to compete which is why its acceptance is so low.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Interested to hear from those in the know.

PS: I think I could've tacked this post onto an existing Thread in hindsight. Apologies - Mods: Please merge if you think that's the best thing to do - I couldn't delete and re-post myself.

Last edited:
I hope so! I have had a DC (with 5 supp cards) for 33 years...grandfathered fee free for life. Each card holder gets lounge access to the Diners lounges for free ;)

suspect they will devalue that aspect first because they can with Westpac/St George et al already being there ... guess all we can do is wait it out - hope they continue the product. I did get an email confirmation that they'd received my application for a supplementary card today so there are signs of life.

I posted this in another forum dedicated to Citibank Linked Diners:
Just got told by a Citi rep that NAB is shutting down the Linked Diners Club Card as of 15 October 2023 - they will cease offering them from 15 Oct 2023 onwards and all existing Linked Diners Club Cards will close on 15 Oct 2023. Was told that the official FAQs on their website and all affected customers will be notified from the legally required 60 days out from the 15 Oct so looks like the announcement will be made in a few weeks time (mid-August 2023) if what they told me is indeed true. If it is indeed true it will be a shame - it's my one gripe with the Prestige card that they charge a very high 3.4% forex fee for a card that's targeted for frequent jetsetters. For a $700 annual fee, I'd say at least lower it to around 1-2% max.
So it looks like NAB is indeed doing something with Diners that doesnt necessarily indicate good things for the brand/business. Though I dont know the extent to which NAB can dismantle Diners given that Diners officially holds the contract with the Commonwealth Government to provide card and payment services.

I hope they got issued the MasterCard companion card or the Diners is likely to find little use unfortunately.

NAB was exclusive with Visa which wouldn't allow the Diners/Mastercard relationship to continue. The question is who would take over Diners in Australia? Would Discover enter the market directly?

Will be interesting what happens on this front - we might get Visa cards as our MasterCards expire given that Diners' previous owner Citi had an "exclusive" relationship with MasterCard.

I hope NAB can Run with Diners and improve it. It needs alot of love and has some potential to be a good facility - particularly as the companion card allows it to be used "everywhere". If Discover were to buy the Australian business, expect it will be a tough uphill battle to increase Diners acceptance so we don't need the MC anymore. The predominant activity my Diners is seeing is through the MC.

Don't people use Diners on their PayPal? I have my Citibank linked Diners on PayPal and find I can pay for many things using Diners through PayPal but without a surcharge.

That helps though it’s nowhere as ‘easy’ as whipping out the MC at time of payment.

I think the Commonwealth public servants get issued the Diners and MC combo which helps a lot. One very competitive upside of Diners compared to other banks/card issuers is that their statements for Corporate Accounts is compliant with ATO Guidelines which means that users of their corporate cards do not need to keep receipts for any business purchase which is a huge cost-saving measure.
This is why I suspect Diners won the contract with the Commonwealth Government.

Just received this for the Linked Diners Card for Citi

We want to let you know we will no longer offer the Linked Diners Club® Card from 16 October 2023, and as a result we will be closing your Linked Diners Club Card(s) on account ending in 5536.​
COL-1364_spacer.png
From 16 October 2023 onwards, you and any Additional Cardholder(s) linked to your account will no longer be able to spend and earn Points on your Linked Diners Club Card. Please note, any transactions and Points earned on your Linked Diners Club Card prior to this date will continue to be transferred to your account as per the Linked Diners Club Card Terms and Conditions and Linked Diners Club Card Extra Terms.
COL-1364_spacer.png
There will be no change to your existing Citi Prestige Card and you can continue to use your Citi Prestige Card as per normal.​

Simply put, the answer to the thread is "No". In fact I suspect a lot of answers to questions about NAB continuing the Citibank products will be "No". Just one quick look at NAB's range of fee-free credit card offerings will show you the way forward. Hint: there are none.

Simply put, the answer to the thread is "No". In fact I suspect a lot of answers to questions about NAB continuing the Citibank products will be "No". Just one quick look at NAB's range of fee-free credit card offerings will show you the way forward. Hint: there are none.
"Our biggest concern is the potential drop in competitiveness of products in the CC market" said the ACCC when NAB announced its purchase of Citibank.

"Dont worry", said NAB, "We'll definitely make sure CC products remain just as competitive once we purchase Citibank"

"OK, we trust you", said ACCC.

NAB: Proceeds to shut down all Citibank transaction accounts. Proceeds to shut down all Citibank home loans. Proceeds to shut down Linked Diners Club Card.

I predict next thing to be shut down will be Citi Payall. Then after that, Citi Credit Cards. Well done ACCC.

I think this is part of NAB's Commitment to migrate away to its brand to stop using the Citi brand which was granted to NAB under license in the interim. My Diners MC says it's issued by NAB under license from MC.

Doesn't mean they won't shut down Diners as @Legoman contends. Diners has been shown so little love over the years and effectively been in run-off by not accepting any new customers for years now. Their MC still doesn't have mobile wallet access whereas the Citi cards do (I think - I haven't used mine for purchases in so long, I wouldn't know).

"Our biggest concern is the potential drop in competitiveness of products in the CC market" said the ACCC when NAB announced its purchase of Citibank.
NAB now issue all Coles, Qantas Money, Suncorp Bank, Kogan Money, Citibank, UBank, 86 400 and NAB products - so mission accomplished then? Honestly, the ACCC is as mindlessly useless as ACMA whose pointlessness is constantly highlighted on Media Watch.

The consumer would actually be better off without these so-called authorities altogether. They have so little authority and so little influence on anything, they're just money suckers. They are quite literally the inspiration for the fictional National Building Authority (NBA) featured on Utopia.

"Dont worry", said NAB, "We'll definitely make sure CC products remain just as competitive once we purchase Citibank"

"OK, we trust you", said ACCC.

NAB: Proceeds to shut down all Citibank transaction accounts. Proceeds to shut down all Citibank home loans. Proceeds to shut down Linked Diners Club Card.

I predict next thing to be shut down will be Citi Payall. Then after that, Citi Credit Cards. Well done ACCC.

They have to move off the Citi brand altogether, and that has been known from the start.

NAB now issue all Coles, Qantas Money, Suncorp Bank, Kogan Money, Citibank, UBank, 86 400 and NAB products - so mission accomplished then? Honestly, the ACCC is as mindlessly useless as ACMA whose pointlessness is constantly highlighted on Media Watch.

The consumer would actually be better off without these so-called authorities altogether. They have so little authority and so little influence on anything, they're just money suckers. They are quite literally the inspiration for the fictional National Building Authority (NBA) featured on Utopia.
I was thinking about getting a BOQ card - guess what NAB as well.

Proceeds to shut down Linked Diners Club Card.
I got rid of my Diners after the Ansett collapse but from memory it was a charge card (like the old green corporate Amex) not a credit card. It is why corporates and government like it for expenses.

Back