Informing Amex of overseas travel ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

desafinado74

Hello guys,
I was told by AMEX on the phone that i don't have to inform them when i go overseas (I had to do that for my Coles Platinum Mastercard, so that their Fraud dept do not treat my overseas transactions as suspicious)

So, i just want to double check with you all , if it is true that i don't have to tell AMEX that i am travelling overseas ?

Though when going to countries less travelled such as Uganda earlier this year I inform them and they haven't said it wasn't needed.

In a similar vein, Citibank advised me early this year not to inform them of travel plans.

So I travelled, used my Citibank Plus card to withdraw cash and they froze the card.

Had to contact them to unfreeze the card, which wasn't difficult in my situation, but I prefer the old way ...

Last edited:
You used to be able to send a quick and easy message online for them to list your travel plans. Now they insist you use the (slow) Live Chat to do everything, so I haven't bothered. Used to advise of every trip but didn't bother for my last few journeys - could still use my card without any issues, so I won't be reporting overseas travel again. I think it's less of an issue these days as the cards have a chip, so they can see that it's your real physical card being used on terminals which read chips, as opposed to when it was swipe-only and cards took all of 2 seconds to duplicate and use fraudulently.

I notified Amex via Chat last week of our upcoming trip to Singapore and Bali. Citibank refused to hear it, told me if I needed to I could use the token on the Citi App, Virgin Money (also Citi) did note my trip and said they'd add a security note. So its all very inconsistent. I figure if I force them to note it, and then they cause a hassle for me, I can at least say, look you knew I was going to be there....

Thanks everyone, i will just use the cards in Japan without informing them and see what happens :)

No need to inform them they track your spending habit and if someone starts spending on the card like the end of the world is nigh! It raises there eyebrow.
That said, I had a wife MIA in Macy's with my card and it never got blocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back