How low can Etihad go ? | Page 3 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

How low can Etihad go ?

33kft

AFF Supporter
No cup of tea and biscuits on 14hr flight? Even my beloved VA offers that for free......
It's all a bit vague but it seems that if it is a designated meal time you will get a bistro meal and beverage for free, but outside of that you will need to pay for it. So you might not notice much of a difference at all if it turns out the definition of designated meal time is generous, or you may find it not dissimilar to a long distance Jetstar/Tiger flight.

Rubix

It's all a bit vague but it seems that if it is a designated meal time you will get a bistro meal and beverage for free, but outside of that you will need to pay for it. So you might not notice much of a difference at all if it turns out the definition of designated meal time is generous, or you may find it not dissimilar to a long distance Jetstar/Tiger flight.
See how it pans out. I will report back after my maiden voyage with EY in the coming weeks.

Kandy

I flew Etihad to Madrid and back from Paris this month in economy.

I would say it has been my least liked airline.
Meals were not explained, just the protein (chicken or beef or veg pasta?), you literally get the meal and a piece of bread/olive bread. Some staff seemed meh

Tea/Coffee came as a drinks service after the meal service, but anything outside of the main services were paid.

I have VA Gold so sadly did not get to see the Etihad Premium lounge in Abu Dhabi, but made the long trek to terminal 1 Al Reem lounge, nice offerings. They served alcohol after 8pm during Ramadan. We had the bus at Abu Dhabi the first time around, most frustrating airport ever. They really need more stanchions out during peak times as people just clumped up and pushed past each other etc. On the way back through, they also security checked us twice, once to get back into the terminal on arrival flight (throw away liquids) and then at the gate (so if you bought liquids/ or took water bottles from the lounge you had to throw them away again, with no where to refill them before a 14 hour flight!!)

The check in staff at Paris gave us priority passes at the airport which made things less stressful, and the lounge there was nice.

While the QF program is not great, VA is worse. QF does offer upgrades on their own metal for international, but the lowest fare buckets can not be upgraded. Chances are, even if you paid full fare, you might still not get upgraded so its better to pay cash fare or make an outright redemption.

QF also doesn't offer upgrade for one-world partners using points. In terms of earning status, you get penalized for flying with oneworld airlines to and from Australia.

docjames

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
This is interesting,
I just came home from London on Monday flying Etihad. I have been a platinum velocity member for 5 years now.
First thing I did when I got home was join the Qantas club.
Etihad has gone backwards, fast.
Unfortunately flying to Europe under the Velocity program simply offers you nothing other then a couple of nice lounges a long the way.
The first class lounge in Abu D. Is nice .
There is no way of doing any upgrades through the program without giving up 500,000 point for an upgraded seat.

I’m interested to hear from Qantas members if they have jumped ship from Velocity recently and why.

I have been with Velocity for 13 years in total now and it seems every other program has left it for dust.
Suggest if London/UK is the destination then VA connecting to VS via HKG might be a better option now.

cowombat

Intern
Hmmmm. I've just redeemed 85K AAdvantage miles on Etihad for Brussels to Melbourne in J in October. The only seats on offer were on Etihad. None on BA, QR or AY who also are OneWorld partners out of BRU. Seems these other carriers are filling their seats while EY are grasping at straws. At least it's J so I don't have to pay for peanuts in Y. I'll keep watching AA for alternative vendors of the flight home. Would much prefer to be on Qatar....

Saab34

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
VS HKG-LHR is 787 from memory which is fairly unpleasant down the back, hopefully they upgrade it to the A350 then if would be a good routing. Otherwise SIA 350/380 is probably the most comfortable velocity route to Europe.

Colesmore

Flights
My Map
I flew to Rome return this month (with onward connections with Alitalia). Initially I was thoroughly dreading the 14hr from MEL to AUH although in the end it wasn't as painful as I feared, although no doubt having lounge access in MEL & AUH assisted that.

On the MEL-AUH 2145 Departure a meal was served just after take off, with a snack around half way through the flight, and the breakfast 90 mins or so prior to landing. Drinks were served several times as well, and I had no issue consuming 4-5 beers on the first 6 hrs of the flight, and I didn't go hungry with the portion sizes. Whilst I echo @Kandy's sentiment that the option description is a bit of a lucky dip I can understand not explaining in depth each meal option to the 100 people each FA would serve, and also appreciate not interrupting the the dark cabin to announce the 3 options in 2-3 languages, which I find people don't listen to anyway.

Food was of an acceptable quality, service I would describe as moderately friendly but nothing too special, but also didn't see anything across the 40 hrs in the air I'd describe as poor. IFE had an excellent selection of movies , good range of TV shows and had a crisp responsive screen.

I'd say above all the quietness of the 787 and the cabin air pressure made a larger difference than I'd have thought, and would preference this flight over anything offered by any airline with a 777 for any part of the journey. Whilst their frequencies seem to be scaling back if their flights suited my schedule I wouldn't hesitate to select them again, assuming their pricing was the same as SQ or EK.

Rubix

I flew to Rome return this month (with onward connections with Alitalia). Initially I was thoroughly dreading the 14hr from MEL to AUH although in the end it wasn't as painful as I feared, although no doubt having lounge access in MEL & AUH assisted that.

On the MEL-AUH 2145 Departure a meal was served just after take off, with a snack around half way through the flight, and the breakfast 90 mins or so prior to landing. Drinks were served several times as well, and I had no issue consuming 4-5 beers on the first 6 hrs of the flight, and I didn't go hungry with the portion sizes. Whilst I echo @Kandy's sentiment that the option description is a bit of a lucky dip I can understand not explaining in depth each meal option to the 100 people each FA would serve, and also appreciate not interrupting the the dark cabin to announce the 3 options in 2-3 languages, which I find people don't listen to anyway.

Food was of an acceptable quality, service I would describe as moderately friendly but nothing too special, but also didn't see anything across the 40 hrs in the air I'd describe as poor. IFE had an excellent selection of movies , good range of TV shows and had a crisp responsive screen.

I'd say above all the quietness of the 787 and the cabin air pressure made a larger difference than I'd have thought, and would preference this flight over anything offered by any airline with a 777 for any part of the journey. Whilst their frequencies seem to be scaling back if their flights suited my schedule I wouldn't hesitate to select them again, assuming their pricing was the same as SQ or EK.
This post sounds a lot more promising. Thanks.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockitinbuddy