How does Marriott treat you as an elite?

leadman

For many years I thought I had made the wrong decision of joining the Marriott programme over the others, but when they merged with Sheraton all my Christmases came all at once. On top of Ti life, it was one worry of not trying to retain status I didn't have during Covid. Now if QF gave us a bit of slack on the 75,000 SC barrier for Pt life I'd be even happier!

wannabeinvestmentbanker

Very welcome news! Hoping they reduce requal requirements for next year, or, as dairyfloss mentioned, a rollover program.

I envisage getting back on the road domestically mid Jan but doubt I'd hit over 100 nights with spend next year.

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
Marriott's move to dynamic award pricing is bad. No award chart post March 2022.
From Marriott:

That means the amount of Marriott Bonvoy® Points needed to redeem a Stay will be more flexible and will more closely align with Hotel Rates — based on availability, seasonality, etc.

So basically reducing the potential for aspirational rewards. This is what is happening the world over with loyalty programs, they're basically morphing into % rebate programs.

dairyfloss

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
more 'Flexible'... because Flexible in travel terms never means totally exorbitant, right? :p

Cheers,
Matt.

drron

Veteran Member
Solutions
Being LTP with no chance of lifetime platinum and dynamic pricing coming in there is no point seeking out Marriott properties.I will still use those that I enjoy such as the SGS in Bangkok but otherwise share the love around.

So for next years trip the Tokyo Hilton for an executive room is cheaper than a standard room at any comparable Marriott properties.Similarly for a stay at FRA just a handful of euros more for an executive room at the hilton than the marriott and sheraton which we would not stopat again anyway.

Stevo.1702

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Property: Midnight Hotel Canberra
Date: 06/11/2021
Booked: Midnight Classic
Price Paid: $141 per night
Received: Midnight Lounge

On date of check-in the room I booked was $215 and the room I received was $245. No other rooms (junior suite or suites) available.

I have been overseas + WA Quarantine for the last month and decided to surprise my partner to a staycation in our hometown.

This is the first time I've visited this hotel and for what I paid I am happily surprised (pre pay "member escapes deal").

Reception staff were fantastic and had a range of food, beverage and pts options for a welcome gift. I opted for a bottle of red and breakfast in-house.

Room has a well stocked mini bar which I only learnt after choosing my bottle of red that it is complimentary.

All simple requests on my Bonvoy profile were accommodated and I received a notification at 10.30am that my room was ready. Check-in staff said a 4pm checkout was applied in case we wanted it.

If the price is right I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Canberra.

Stevo.1702

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Am I reading this correctly? You celebrated being released from hotel quarantine by......staying in a hotel?
😂..... Yes.

To try and provide some evidence of my sanity I was at home for a week first.
My partner also has the travel bug but has been working from home the last 6 months and hasn't left Canberra since December last year.

My work travel hasn't stopped so the night out was a treat for her more than a treat for me. That's my story at least.

*edit - it's also a much more enjoyable experience with your partner and you can come and go as you please 😉

Last edited:
Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

wannabeinvestmentbanker

Great to be back at Westin Melbourne! I spend over 100 nights a year here so get looked after very well. Excellent to see the same faces after the extended lockdown and catchups with staff.

On weekends they are busier than pre-Covid so perhaps limit expectations for weekend stays.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..