How close would you have to get to consider a status run to P1?

Pretty much echoing the thoughts of the other P1s here...

The benefits have slowly been eroded over the years to the extent that, aside from the odd invitation, there's really not much of a discernable difference to Platinum. Sure, access to the VIP Service Team is nice, but these days they are just an offshoot of slightly better trained res staff based in HBA. Back when they were a dedicated team in CBR the whole offering was lightyears ahead of where it is now.

QF market P1 as being a highly personalised experience with travel being proactively monitored to minimise disruptions. I don't think you'd find a P1 who has actually ever seen any evidence of that. Mostly you as the traveller have to proactively solve problems and try to get the VIP team involved to action those solutions.

Seat releases, which were already becoming harder to get at the end of last year, appear to be under further squeeze since the introduction of Classic Plus.

As for the special invitations to events and activations, god only knows how those are distributed. The ones I have received have generally been during times where I am travelling (with QF...go figure - really personalised experience there!), others who have been P1s longer have had none at all, and some get them all the time.

Basically, the point I am making is that for the extra cost and time spent on aircraft required to attain P1 over Platinum, in consideration of the benefits QF spruik for the level, it's absolutely not worth pushing for. If you're getting their organically through regular flying, it's marginally better than Platinum.

Has there been a discernible impact in requesting award releases? Haven’t tried since CR+ introduction

Story I heard was try requesting Asia (Japan/Korea etc.) anytime from late-March to early-May and:

a) It'll likely be declined
b) No manual review is available for P1 due to blackout period

Story I heard was try requesting Asia (Japan/Korea etc.) anytime from late-March to early-May and:

a) It'll likely be declined
b) No manual review is available for P1 due to blackout period
There have always been blackout periods for manual review.

Nothing new in what you have heard.
CR plus will be contributing to overall uptake of Award seats per flight and it is that which will determine the ability for P1 to get award seats released.
AFAIK each flight has a maximum allocation of Award seats, once exhausted no further can be requested.

There have always been blackout periods for manual review.

Nothing new in what you have heard.
CR plus will be contributing to overall uptake of Award seats per flight and it is that which will determine the ability for P1 to get award seats released.
AFAIK each flight has a maximum allocation of Award seats, once exhausted no further can be requested.

Many other airlines would do whatever it takes to get "P1 type spend" customers.
Sadly, with QF as a P1 - you are a small fish in a big pond.

One strategy might be to maintain Platinum with QF (to cover Domestic + some EK/oneworld), and Plat with another airline (eg: Thai if mostly Asia, Etihad if Global etc) to cover everything else.

My mother is P1, and we share stories..... I get way more with Etihad as Platinum than she does with QF as P1.

Go to where you're treated best... and the grass is most certainly greener elsewhere if you earn status mostly from intl!

Many other airlines would do whatever it takes to get "P1 type spend" customers.
Sadly, with QF as a P1 - you are a small fish in a big pond.

One strategy might be to maintain Platinum with QF (to cover Domestic + some EK/oneworld), and Plat with another airline (eg: Thai if mostly Asia, Etihad if Global etc) to cover everything else.

My mother is P1, and we share stories..... I get way more with Etihad as Platinum than she does with QF as P1.

Go to where you're treated best... and the grass is most certainly greener elsewhere if you earn status mostly from intl!
Not particularly relevant to my having 2800 credits of booked travel with QF. I’m not about to go on a status run with Etihad.
Post automatically merged:

Option: Go hard to earn the extra 800 this year.
Relax next year, knowing you're P1 anyway, with no need to try and requalify. Fly whoever, wherever, without worrying.
Soft landing to WP the year after.
I like the thinking but platinum is highly likely the following year no matter what

Option: Go hard to earn the extra 800 this year.
Relax next year, knowing you're P1 anyway, with no need to try and requalify. Fly whoever, wherever, without worrying.
Soft landing to WP the year after.
Is there much point pushing for P1 if you don’t actually plan to fly and use the benefits (whatever they are) next year anyway?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

My take is that they know we have few choices down here and they could serve you cold soup and we’d still line up for it, for the odd upgrade.

it’s like Rolex. Everyone saying they’ll permanently switch Omega, due to unavailability, they’ve ruined the brand etc

Rolex be like…yeah sure.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back