Hilton Macquarie Card Discontinued 1 May 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oubline

I just received an email:

“We’re getting in touch to let you know that from 1 May 2019, your Hilton Honors® Macquarie Platinum Credit Card will no longer be affiliated with the Hilton Honors Program.

The good news is that your card will be replaced with the Macquarie Rewards Black Credit Card – our most rewarding credit card.”

I knew this would be coming eventually..

The card will be retained at its current $0 a year fee, and:

“To say thanks for your loyalty, Hilton Honors will extend your current Gold or Diamond Hilton Honors status to 31 March 2021. ”

Far from being rewarding, the Macquarie Rewards Black doesn’t seem that exciting to me so I think I’ll be closing my card prior to May.

Nooooooo
The dream is over. This was a bloody great card giving me diamond status and a free night each year for $0 annual fee.

The only good thing about the new card is that it will have no foreign exchange fee. They are also keeping my no annual fee deal.

Got the email as well. Sucks.
The Macquarie black card has a points cap of 4k and the points are not transferable. So I'll be cancelling the card

Same here. Not happy Jan :mad: :

Bollocks that the Macquarie Rewards Black CC is going to be anywhere near the value that I got from the Macquarie Hilton Platinum.

At least the sweetner is the extended status - which I'll make sure is against my HH account before I cancel the Macquarie card.

Also note:

Please note that from 1 May 2019 you’ll no longer receive the benefits of the ongoing Hilton Honors program, including reward weekend night certificates, from spend on your credit card.

and the only positive (but I don't use the card overseas or shop using overseas portals as I use the card for my business purchases)

From 1 July 2019, take advantage of:

no international purchase fees when you shop online or overseas~

Last edited:
Bummer! I just started using it for the first time as I had managed to keep diamond using a US-based card.

Another card bites the dust. Oh well...

At least the sweetner is the extended status - which I'll make sure is against my HH account before I cancel the Macquarie card.

Can I ask how you would check that your status is extended to March 2021?
When I log in to the Hilton website it only seems to mention the current year (as I recall).

If you cancel the card is there any way they could reverse the extended status?

Thanks,

Gary.

Does that mean we can get one final reward cert if we can reach the $20k/$40k spend ?

Does that mean we can get one final reward cert if we can reach the $20k/$40k spend ?

I would guess so, I think the spend requirement is $12k though.

You can only earn that once a year though and personally my year rests in July so I will miss out on another bite at it.

Extensions of status are scheduled to occur 1 May

To say thanks for your loyalty, Hilton Honors will extend your

current Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond membership status
to 31 March 2021. This will happen automatically from 1 May
2019, so you won’t need to do anything.

And about switching

Yes, you can switch your credit card rewards program to the

Qantas Frequent Flyer program. Once you receive your card
in the mail, just give us a call on 1300 150 300. Please note,
if you wish to switch your loyalty program to Qantas Frequent
Flyer, you will be charged an annual fee of $299 on your next
annual fee date.

TBH I won't miss the card.
I don't like DT MEL or HSYD.
My stays now are with the Rydges chain and I do enjoy the easy to achieve status.

It has been so useful and valuable for our travels in asia but agree the australian product is generally average. we've been looking at the Marriott for status

My Current Diamond status is due to expire on 1st April. So would I be comped Gold or Diamond on 1st May? If I do drop back to Gold, I guess I could put 12K spend in Aoril b4 the 1st May cutoff...?

My Current Diamond status is due to expire on 1st April. So would I be comped Gold or Diamond on 1st May? If I do drop back to Gold, I guess I could put 12K spend in Aoril b4 the 1st May cutoff...?

I think you only get Gold if you have done whatever it takes to qualify for Gold. i.e I thought there is no soft landing and you can get punted back to the start.

I think that would be wise.

Edit: $12k is for the complimentary night. I think you need to put through $40k for Diamond.

$40k it is indeed

You get Gold just by holding the card. Diamond after spending $40k.
Sorry yes it is 40K spend for Diamond. I would normally expect to drop from Diamond to Gold in the first week of April....if I don't, then iI will be fair to say my Diamond has been extended, If I do drop, I will have ~3 weeks to put 40K on the card!

looking at the FAQ,
Will my Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond status be extended?
To say thanks for your loyalty, Hilton Honors will extend your current Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond membership status to 31 March 2021. This will happen automatically from 1 May 2019, so you won’t need to do anything. So my current Hilton status is Diamond....

Agree with @hossein_au , @kpc if you still have the Macquarie Hilton card on 1 April and haven't met the $40K annual spend requirement for Diamond, then you'll go back to Gold. If you meet the spend criteria ($12K) by 30 April (whichever is earlier) then you'd get another free night - but it must be used by the nominated end date of the free night expressed by Macquarie. Spending $40K in a month to re-qual Diamond surely is out of reach.

Still, a couple of years Gold isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back