Hedging bets on the MR -> KF points devaluation, any advice?

matc

Hi all, I have a reasonable balance MR points (~5 million).

I will mostly likely use the points for trips to Europe, but I'm quite concerned about the upcoming devaluation of MR -> KF transfers. I'm worried availability of J class seats on Avios will be challenging to secure, especially for my family of 3.

I'm considering transferring 2 million points MR points to KF which would yield about 3 return flights to Europe on the assumption I use them before they expire in 3 years. My thinking is worst case I can transfer them back to Velocity before they expire and I'll still retain at least half of them.

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

You won't find 3x J seats on QR and it is very difficult to find availability for 3 on BA, so you are correct that SQ is your best bet when looking for more than 2x J seats at a time to Europe.

I will mostly likely use the points for trips to Europe, but I'm quite concerned about the upcoming devaluation of MR -> KF transfers. I'm worried availability of J class seats on Avios will be challenging to secure, especially for my family of 3.

I'm considering transferring 2 million points MR points to KF which would yield about 3 return flights to Europe on the assumption I use them before they expire in 3 years. My thinking is worst case I can transfer them back to Velocity before they expire and I'll still retain at least half of them.

Happy to be your friend and a redemption nominee if you can't use the points in time!

Sounds a reasonable strategy to me to transfer as many points as you think you will use in 4 years (3 years plus 6 month extension plus ability to book 12 months out) to KF.

Hopefully KF still allows transfers to Velocity in 2026 so you won't have to go on a mad rush to book several flights just for the sake of it.

One thing you can hope - velocity do not change transfer rate to SQ.

If transfer rate stays the same, when amex has velocity transfer bonus, you can end up with more SQ points.

I've been thinking about this too. I transferred all my St George Amplify points to KF reluctantly. I'm thinking I'll hang 5 on transferring any MR and see what Avois is like. I'm thinking of transferring the AU MR I do have (about 1m, not 5m unfortunately) to US MR. while AMEX US might keep the transfer ratio at 1:1, there's always the chance of an SQ devaluation given CX just devalued citing none since 2019. I don't think there's any risk free/foolproof strategy.

I don't like airlines devaluing but I also prefer that they can afford maintenance so the plane has a better chance of making it to its destination as maintenance hasn't been skimped on.

I think the US route is the "extra" optionality we have in this thread for those of us who have already taken the plunge on US AMEX.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back