Getting an Amex Platinum Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The terms if signing up through referral link is a bit different. It doesn't mention anything about existing card holder (only when converting account). The agent confirmed last month I would get fee free even if I'm an existing card holder. Nothing showed up in my statement so far.

2. The American Express[SUP]®[/SUP] Platinum Edge Credit Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $195. Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Credit Card Members who apply by 28 February 2015, and are approved. Card Members who wish to convert their existing American Express account to Platinum Edge will not be eligible for the offer.

Interesting. It does seem to imply that you would get fee-free on a second Amex card
Presume it is to stop people converting from a fee-paying card to a fee-free one (but surely you could cancel the fee-paying one afterward)
One thought I had was that if you converted you might not need an additional credit-check (but don't Amex check monthly anyway)
I suppose it is in Amex's interest for people to have as high a combined credit-limit as they can afford (less likely to get a card elsewhere, more likely to incur interest)
Not quite sure what the prime motivation for the wording is

Last edited:
The terms if signing up through referral link is a bit different. It doesn't mention anything about existing card holder (only when converting account). The agent confirmed last month I would get fee free even if I'm an existing card holder. Nothing showed up in my statement so far.

2. The American Express[SUP]®[/SUP] Platinum Edge Credit Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $195. Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Credit Card Members who apply by 28 February 2015, and are approved. Card Members who wish to convert their existing American Express account to Platinum Edge will not be eligible for the offer.
I think maybe instead of giving wrong information you wait a bit.
there seems to be lots of speculation on this thread and not a lot of fact
if you click on the t and cs of the offer you will see this

3. Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply via this page by 28 February 2015, are approved and spend $500 on their new Card in the first 2 months of Card Membership. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. 10,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.

though I have heard from a lot of people that they still got the 10k and the free card but it is the luck of the draw. cannot be guaranteed the deal

I read this as that the fee-free offer was available to existing cardholders but the bonus points were not

I am reading that the whole offer s available to new Amex members only there isn't any part of this that states otherwise. If there is can you possibly show us?

Having a look on the referral link <redacted> the terms and condition states:

3. The American Express[SUP]®[/SUP] Platinum Edge Credit Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $195. Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Credit Card Members who apply by 28 February 2015, and are approved. Card Members who wish to convert their existing American Express account to Platinum Edge will not be eligible for the offer.

So it seems, even people who already have other amex products can get the fee-free plus 10k.. am i reading it right?

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual Amex don't have a very good legal department who checks their T and Cs
Amex constantly have ambiguous terms
i would make sure you pdf the deal so you can send to them if you don't get the whole deal

though I also see this how can they say someone who has an amex already is excluded

• And if self employed, I have been trading for at least 18 months or 12 months if I hold an existing American Express issued Card
Id say anyone being denied have a very good point just in this first paragraph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

here is the full t and cs totally in contradiction to the above paragraph
Eligibility:

To save time before you apply for your Platinum Edge Credit Card, it's best to make sure you can say yes to the following:

• I am aged over 18
  • I am an Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457)
  • I have a personal gross (pre-tax) annual income of $50,000 or more
  • I have no history of bad debt or payment default
  • And if self employed, I have been trading for at least 18 months or 12 months if I hold an existing American Express issued Card
Terms and Conditions:

American Express credit approval criteria apply. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Fees and charges apply. All Interest Rates are quoted as an Annual Percentage Rate. All information is correct as at 12 December 2014 and is subject to change. This offer is only available to those who reside in Australia. Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085), Australian Credit Licence No. 291313. [SUP]®[/SUP]Registered Trademark of American Express Company.

1. All flights are restricted to selected classes within the Saver Fare family and are subject to availability. The complimentary flight is offered on selected destinations only and not valid for flights with Virgin Australia partner airlines or any codeshare flights. Virgin Australia and American Express cannot guarantee that seats or tickets will be available on the dates or at the times you may wish to fly. Seat availability may be limited to certain dates and/or flights and it may be more difficult to book seats around public holidays, school holidays or special events. Some flights may not have any seats available for this promotion. Route availability is subject to change without notice. Baggage in excess to the 23kgs included in the promotion will attract additional fees, see virginaustralia.com for more information. The offer is subject to the American Express Flight Offer Conditions and air travel is subject to Virgin Australia Terms and Conditions of Carriage.

3. Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply via this page by 28 February 2015, are approved and spend $500 on their new Card in the first 2 months of Card Membership. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. 10,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.
4. To transfer Membership Rewards points into an airline rewards or frequent guest partner program you must be a member of the partner program. Membership of the partner program is the Card Member's responsibility and is subject to the Terms and Conditions of the applicable program. A joining fee may apply.
5. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major supermarkets": Bi-Lo, Safeway, Woolworths, Coles, IGA, Fishers, Fresh Provisions, Food For Less, Supabarn, Macro Wholefoods. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major petrol stations": BP, Shell, Caltex Woolworths, 7 Eleven, Woolworths Petrol, Safeway petrol, Peak & Gull. Exceptions may apply if an individual merchant trading as one of the above named retailers does not accept American Express as a form of payment. Purchases at major supermarket & major petrol station retailers are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in Australia. 0.5 merchants classified as; "utilities" including gas, water and electricity providers; "government" including the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Postal Corporation (Australia Post), telecommunication providers, federal/state and local government bodies; and "insurance" excluding insurances offered by American Express.
6. American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurances are underwritten by ACE Insurance Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL No. 239687) (ACE) and are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurances policy of insurance between American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085, AFSL No. 291313) (American Express) and ACE. This site does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is important for you to read the Terms and Conditions available hereand consider the appropriateness of that insurance in relation to your individual requirements.
7.Supplementary Credit Card Members must be over 18 years of age. You will be liable for all Supplementary Credit Card spending.

Last edited:
hmm thats bizarre!!!
Did you try clicking on the link I posted, and then under T&C? or am i looking at something completely different?

This is what I read on the referral page:

Terms and Conditions:
American Express credit approval criteria apply. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Fees and charges apply. All Interest Rates are quoted as an Annual Percentage Rate. All information is correct as at 12 December 2014 and is subject to change. This offer is only available to those who reside in Australia. Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085), Australian Credit Licence No. 291313. [SUP]®[/SUP]Registered Trademark of American Express Company.
This offer is only available to friends, family and colleagues with whom you have an existing relationship and who want to receive your referral via Social Media. You must not send Social Media referrals to people you do not know. Bonus Points will be applied to your account once your friend’s application has been approved by American Express. Please be aware that due to Privacy Restrictions, American Express is not at liberty to discuss an individual's application. The people you refer may ask you to discontinue making Social Media referrals to them, in this case please do not make further referrals.
1. You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish:

• When you hold the Platinum Edge Credit Card or the Platinum Reserve Credit Card and refer The Platinum Edge Credit Card to a friend, you will receive 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply by the offer end date using the link provided on Social Media and their application is approved as a new Card Member.
  • When you hold The Platinum Rewards Credit Card and refer The Platinum Edge Credit Card to a friend you will receive 5,000 bonus Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply by the offer end date using the link provided on Social Media and their application is approved as a new Card Member.
  • Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the Bonus Points to be awarded once approval is made.
  • If your friend applies for The Platinum Edge Credit Card via the Social Media referral by the offer end date and is approved as a new Card Member to American Express Australia Ltd, they will receive 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when they spend $500 in the first 2 months of Card Membership.
Applicants must be Australian residents aged 18 years old or over and are subject to American Express credit approval criteria. When completing the referral form, you must (i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and (ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus. Your friend must apply via the link you share with them to ensure you both receive this bonus. If your friend has already applied for The Platinum Edge Credit Card without using the referral you shared via Social Media, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus. This introductory offer is only available if your friend currently does not hold or has not held any Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period. This offer is only valid until 28 February 2015.
2. All flights are restricted to selected classes within the Saver Fare family and are subject to availability. The complimentary flight is offered on selected destinations only and not valid for flights with Virgin Australia partner airlines or any codeshare flights. Virgin Australia and American Express cannot guarantee that seats or tickets will be available on the dates or at the times you may wish to fly. Seat availability may be limited to certain dates and/or flights and it may be more difficult to book seats around public holidays, school holidays or special events. Some flights may not have any seats available for this promotion. Route availability is subject to change without notice. Baggage in excess to the 23kgs included in the promotion will attract additional fees, see virginaustralia.com for more information. The offer is subject to the American Express Flight Offer Conditions and air travel is subject to Virgin Australia Terms and Conditions of Carriage.
3. The American Express[SUP]®[/SUP] Platinum Edge Credit Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $195. Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Credit Card Members who apply by 28 February 2015, and are approved. Card Members who wish to convert their existing American Express account to Platinum Edge will not be eligible for the offer.
4. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major supermarkets": Bi-Lo, Safeway, Woolworths, Coles, IGA, Fishers, Fresh Provisions, Food For Less, Supabarn, Macro Wholefoods. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major petrol stations": BP, Shell, Caltex Woolworths, 7 Eleven, Woolworths Petrol, Safeway petrol, Peak & Gull. Exceptions may apply if an individual merchant trading as one of the above named retailers does not accept American Express as a form of payment. Purchases at major supermarket & major petrol station retailers are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in Australia. 0.5 merchants classified as; "utilities" including gas, water and electricity providers; "government" including the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Postal Corporation (Australia Post), telecommunication providers, federal/state and local government bodies; and "insurance" excluding insurances offered by American Express.
5. American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurances are underwritten by ACE Insurance Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL No. 239687) (ACE) and are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurances policy of insurance between American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085, AFSL No. 291313) (American Express) and ACE. This site does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is important for you to read the Terms and Conditions available here
6. Supplementary Credit Card Members must be over 18 years of age. You will be liable for all Supplementary Credit Card spending.

Last edited:
I have no idea why yours is different
i think this has been discussed to death
lets just let anyone wanting one apply and then see if they get the points and the free card.
here is the full application and t and cs i have

<redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the likelihood of applying for this card, getting accepted, then applying for the Virgin Amex in a months time before the bonus expires on 31/3/15 and getting accepted? Is 1 month interval too quick? especially for Amex?

Whats the likelihood of applying for this card, getting accepted, then applying for the Virgin Amex in a months time before the bonus expires on 31/3/15 and getting accepted? Is 1 month interval too quick? especially for Amex?

Depends how risky you are I guess. I got two AMEX cards three months apart.

I have no idea why yours is different
i think this has been discussed to death
lets just let anyone wanting one apply and then see if they get the points and the free card.
here is the full application and t and cs i have

LOL....on how you keep finding ways to post your referral link in non-referral threads...

I think this is the first time I have
please point me in the direction if I am incorrect. Apparently the links are different so the previous poster said.

I think maybe instead of giving wrong information you wait a bit.
there seems to be lots of speculation on this thread and not a lot of fact
if you click on the t and cs of the offer you will see this

though I have heard from a lot of people that they still got the 10k and the free card but it is the luck of the draw. cannot be guaranteed the deal

Maybe instead of saying I gave wrong information you wait a bit.

Did you see #2 and #3? They refer to the numbers on the left. See screenshot below if you dont understand. So #3 refers to 10,000 bonus points.

FYI

1. I called and the agent confirmed fee free. I already had 2 cards. They tried to convert my account first but I refused.
2. I applied early Jan. Already paid off my first statement. No fee showing up so far. All other amex cards, the fees showed up on my first statement.
3. Even if the terms say I wont get bonus points, I still got 10,000 same as a lot of people I know.

PS forget about this post if all you wanna do is to post your ref link.
PS2 I was replying to akky regarding the fee, not the points.

.amexx.jpg

Last edited:
LOL....on how you keep finding ways to post your referral link in non-referral threads...

I was referring to the above . I know I posted the link on here
I acknowledged that so i don't need to refer to anything.
I was replying to the post above mine. as the offers were different it seemed.

I have always said that people May get the points! its a gamble you are one of the ones that got them obviously

Last edited:
Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

The new ref offer is up..til 30 April. No fee free but 15,000 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back