General Overseas Cash Discussion

Scr77

Established Member
I've made the mistake of not getting any GBP cash and there's no time to get any before we leave. Options? I'm considering just loading the QFF travel money card and then withdrawing cash from that. We have 28 Degrees as our CC.

I've barely used cash in so long I didn't really think about it.

As I'm typing this I've also realised that we haven't got any Singapore cash.

Sigh.......I'm verging on not match fit here.

Can you load you 28D card into credit and withdraw that at the start of your trip?

I've made the mistake of not getting any GBP cash and there's no time to get any before we leave. Options? I'm considering just loading the QFF travel money card and then withdrawing cash from that. We have 28 Degrees as our CC.

can you not get some at the airport - I know exchange rates won't be great. Where are you located and when do you leave?

Yeah, we'll be using the card for nearly everything but still wanted some cash.
I used some cash in SIN because I had it. Apart from Hawker stalls everyone is tapping.

Many places in the Uk have gone cashless. You could probably get by with a couple of £s , so the 3% isn’t going to add up to much.

We flew NAN-MEL on VA198 last Thursday. We had access to the FJ lounge via Priority Pass.
I didn’t think to actually check to see if the lounge would be open though.
Fortunately it was opening just as we got there.

Well yes, the airport is the last option, one that I was hoping to avoid. Melbourne and Wednesday.
Take AUD and exchange in SIN on the way in, and from that to GBP when on the way to the UK. SIN exchange rates, even in the terminals, are very competitive… and better again in town, if you know where to look. I used to change between AUD/SIN/MYR/INR/HKD all the time and rarely felt it was at any noticeable loss in exchange.

Cheers,
Matt.

I haven’t used any cash in the UK for years.
I never take any.
The only cash I used a few months ago was some expiring £20 notes. One went into the Oyster top up machine, one at place where the EFTPOS machine died (but gladly snatched the old note out of my hand) and the final one at Hadrian’s Wall…(“Oh, I haven’t seen one of these for a while” - still happily took it!).

I haven’t used any cash in the UK for years.
I never take any.
A couple of years ago I found my GBP10 note was no longer accepted so found a friendly local AFFer to swap it with.

In July in NZ I found my 50c piece had been out of circulation for 8 years.

I need to get out more. ;)

That's not a mistake 😂 I was recently in the US, Finland, UK and Netherlands. I only needed cash in the US (was in Vegas, needed cash for gambling and tipping), didn't use cash once in any of the other countries.
Post automatically merged:

Take AUD with you and exchange at destination.
Definitely don't bother doing this, you'd get an awful exchange rate. Just withdraw local currency from an ATM if you absolutely need it.

Definitely don't bother doing this, you'd get an awful exchange rate. Just withdraw local currency from an ATM if you absolutely need it.
Where in the UK? I've been using cash all over Asia. Hardly ever use cards.

Exchanges in SIN are very competitive.

Exchanges in Thailand within 0.2 baht of mid-market rate. Using Wise to Thai bank account is also quite good.

Agree with JohnK. Rates in SIN much better than here, and better than ATM if you don’t have a fee-free card

A couple of years ago I found my GBP10 note was no longer accepted so found a friendly local AFFer to swap it with.

In July in NZ I found my 50c piece had been out of circulation for 8 years.

I need to get out more. ;)
Same here, both currencies.

Back