Free travel insurance attached to Platinum Credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

taricho

I am new to Frequent Flyer. I have an Platinum American Express card and wonder if anyone has had any touble with the free insurance they offer

I am new to Frequent Flyer. I have an Platinum American Express card and wonder if anyone has had any touble with the free insurance they offer
Hi taricho,

Welcome to AFF.

Is you card the Credit Card or the Charge Card? I believe the insurance policies are different with each card.

Here's the Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurance Product Disclosure Statement:

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress...onal/shared/files/Platinum_Edge_Insurance.pdf

Here's the Platinum Reserve Credit Card Insurance Product Disclosure Statement:

http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/pdfs/PlatReserveInsuranceBrochure.pdf

These define what you get depending upon you card. In both cases, to activate the Insurance requires:
Purchase of Trip on American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card or with Membership Rewards points.

I have used the insurance policy attached to the American Express Platinum credit card several times and had no problems at all with any claims. I found them to be quick to repay me for expenses I incurred that were covered by the policy such as hotel and meals when I missed a connecting flight in Hong Kong due to a late departure from Perth. From memory I have also made a medical related claim that was settled quickly and efficiently. I book all of my travel on Amex because of the insurance policy. What I like is the simple booklet they provide with the card that sets out in simple terms what they cover (delays, lost luggage, theft, medical etc) and again, in my experience if your claim is a fairly simple matter then they are great to deal with.

Here's the Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurance Product Disclosure Statement:

These define what you get depending upon you card. In both cases, to activate the Insurance requires:
Purchase of Trip on American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card or with Membership Rewards points.

Which is tough given so many places don't take Amex or charge you a fortune to use it making you think twice. Despite having a platinum card I have annual insurance with Travel Insurance Direct which is the most comprehensive I found and comes with excellent reviews if you google them.

... Despite having a platinum card I have annual insurance with Travel Insurance Direct which is the most comprehensive I found and comes with excellent reviews if you google them.
I have both the reserve card and TID Annual too - most of my fares are puchased for travel to Australia and back so wouldn't qualify for the included insurance anyway.

I'm considering getting the Platinum charge card once my current TID expires as the included insurance on that simply requires to be be a Platinum charge card holder (Primary or Supplementary) "in good standing".

Re: American Express free travel insurance atached to credit card

Back when flights were cancelled by the ash cloud, I thought I'd forfeited my money on one of my flights.
BUT I later on found out that my AMEX had free international AND domestic insurance, and I managed to claim my money back!!:D:D Making me love this credit card of mine just that little bit more!:D

Only negative was that I had to fill in a big form, and the policy excess was $100 (more than half the total claim amount), but hey, I was just glad to be able to get money I didn't realize I could get, from a policy I didn't realize I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back