Forex Transaction Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liski

Intern
I'm just about to make a payment for some flights on singaporeair.com - is it best to be charged in SGD or AUD?

I believe Westpac recently changed rules so you get charged regardless, so I would just get SGD.

Aye, they did make a change in March. So, if you go with AUD, you will get hit by a 3% or 3.5% charge, depending on whether it is the Visa/MC or Amex. It is also likely that you will get hit with a poorer exchange rate if you let the merchant do the conversion. In these situations, you are nearly always better off being charges in the local currency.

Thank you to both of you. Just did the charge in SGD on the Westpac for the SQ flights (loving the triple bonus offer). I then used my new 28D card to pay for other flights on FlyDubai and it's already showing in pending transactions and it comes up a few dollars cheaper then what I calculated on xe.com - not bad.

At least you actually got a choice (although online seems to be okay at giving choice). A lot of places just pre-select AUD for you, and you need to fight them to get it charged in local currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back