First rewards card for new arrival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deansa

Hi everyone,

I’m an Australian citizen who has been living out of Australia for 15 years and just returned, so have zero credit history here.

I’ve had a good, well-paying job for three months here, so can show proof of decent income. I have no debts.

I want to get my first credit card here, and am trying to figure out how to proceed. I’m thinking banks may be a bit alarmed that I have no credit history and a new job when I apply for a high-end rewards card. Does anyone know if some banks are more amenable to people in my position than others? I’m trying to avoid applying for cards where I have no realistic chance of success.

I still have a UK amex, so am thinking to do a global card transfer on that to Australia, but would really like a Visa/MC for times when I can’t use amex.

Welcome to AFF.

Since you have no credit history in Australia, applying for a high-end card off the bat might be a challenge, as you suggest.

If I were in your situation, I would probably transfer the UK Amex card to Australia (assuming this is possible) to build up a bit of a credit history in Australia. Then, maybe apply for a Visa/Mastercard early next year?

I assume you've checked if you have any credit rating in Oz at all yet using a free service like Get Credit Score.

FWIW, I think most people here would suggest avoiding any card issued by Citibank if you're worried about the application being approved. Dealing with Citi is just painful. They issue cards also on behalf of Qantas Money, Virgin Money, Suncorp, Diners Club etc.

Thanks for the tips and the welcome @Mattg!

Yeah, I have an AU amex now (if you hold an overseas card with them they will use your overseas history as part of credit assessment) and am happily using that where amex is accepted.

I have checked I have a blank credit history here. I think your suggestion of trying in a few months after my amex has had time to bed in is a good one.

I have had a backup citibank transaction account for twenty years so know how bad they are! Thanks for the tip about who they are a card issuer for, that's really helpful in who to avoid!

Dean

Thanks for the tips and the welcome @Mattg!

I have had a backup citibank transaction account for twenty years so know how bad they are! Thanks for the tip about who they are a card issuer for, that's really helpful in who to avoid!

Oh, Citibank also issues the Coles Mastercard.

I was reminded of this because my current card with them is about to expire and they sent the replacement card to Austria instead of Australia :rolleyes:

Late to the party here but similar situation. I was able to get the ANZ Black once I had three months of Australian pay slips. Have never been able to get St George approval, nor Vodafone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back