eSims, what is your experience.

And it is often difficult to know which country their services appear from.

I've had issues where I get blocked because the eSim is routing your data through another country like China and gives you a Chinese IP address, or just in general gives you an IP that's not from the country you're roaming in, and some sites and apps block 'foreign' IP addresses.
100% - I used Sim Corner on a recent EU trip and it was a French IP address which caused some issues in the UK.

A VPN ought to get around some of those IP issues.

Otherwise, just ask here for advice. The name brands: Flexiroam, Saily, Airalo etc will usually all work fine but you’re paying a lot more than necessary these days.
Airalo used to be my go-to but their prices are just too high now, even with cashback!
 
Airalo used to be my go-to but their prices are just too high now, even with cashback!
Ditto for Flexiroam. They used to have long duration / low GB plans that were cheap in sales or with MC 20% off, but now they’re short duration / massive GBs for massive USDs…

Eskimo is now my default. No expiry. Buy Global, Regional or Country plans during Sales that all work off the same eSIM.

As above, amaysim $30 pm plan plus $20 for 12mths calls/txt (100mins/100 txt).
 
Yep this was the main reason for selecting Superloop as a Telstra wholesaler (and moving.our NBN onto them also, which finally got all sorted today!).

I've got the bcengi esim for the VoWifi while roaming. So hoping it's fairly seamless.
Not sure if I've got the latest message in this thread or if this has been covered, but I'm able to get VoWifi to extend to "Voice-over-2nd-eSIM-with-data" if that makes sense?
In this scenario it effectively does Voice over WiFi but over the mobile data connection of your eSIM.
From my limited experience so far, it doesn't matter how fast or slow your eSIM data speeds are. The call quality is fine (can vary based on your eSIM's actual signal of course)

I've consistently achieved this on iOS by turning off automatic network selection when I board the plane in Oz, and asking it to connect to any network that isn't Telstra.
When I arrive in my destination country, I turn on the destination eSIM, set mobile data to route only through that eSIM, and my home sim will show "Boost using Mobile Data".

1790035090553.png
2 = eSIM
P = Home SIM (Boost)

The reason for turning network selection off in Oz is Telstra often has roaming contracts with multiple carriers overseas (e.g. Boost/Telstra connects to 2deg, OneNZ and Spark in NZ) which means the phone won't VoWiFi over the 2nd sim's mobile data.

I've managed to do the same on Android (Belong Mobile), but I haven't worked out the details. Similar approach, but the network selection trick doesn't quite work while in Oz.
 
Eskimo is now my default. No expiry. Buy Global, Regional or Country plans during Sales that all work off the same eSIM.
How do you find their speeds? I've been experimenting with a few providers from esimdb.com .
Haven't found a single brand with consistently good speeds globally.

I try to buy "local IP" SIMs but even then, their data speeds can be hit or miss.
 
In this scenario it effectively does Voice over WiFi but over the mobile data connection of your eSIM.

I got it to work even without turning off the network - my android phone lets me select which sim to use for calls/messages etc. so I just make sure it's using the esim.

What I didn't realise and only found out while o/s was that the VoWifi only works to and from Australian numbers. I tried to make a call to a local NZ number using the VoWifi but this wasn't possible as I didn't have any roaming package associated with my Superloop mobile account.
 
I got it to work even without turning off the network - my android phone lets me select which sim to use for calls/messages etc. so I just make sure it's using the esim.

Interesting, my Samsung behaves differently. If I select the eSIM for calls and messages, it tries to call/text using the eSIM number (which often doesn’t exist), and just drops the call right away.

If the home sim connects to a roaming network provider, any call, (EDIT) even to an Australian number (dialled +61) is intercepted with an Australian sounding “The number you have called is not available on this service. For more information please contact your service provider.”
 
Last edited:
Interesting, my Samsung behaves differently. If I select the eSIM for calls and messages, it tries to call/text using the eSIM number (which often doesn’t exist), and just drops the call right away.

If the home sim connects to a roaming network provider, any call is intercepted with an Australian sounding “The number you have called is not available on this service. For more information please contact your service provider.”
Sorry I should have clarified, the esim I use is data only. So yes when I tried to call the NZ number when in NZ, I also received the Australian voice about call could be connected"
 
How do you find their speeds? I've been experimenting with a few providers from esimdb.com .
Haven't found a single brand with consistently good speeds globally.

I try to buy "local IP" SIMs but even then, their data speeds can be hit or miss.
I'm on the final day of a trip that visited or transited 6 countries on 3 continents and had no troubles with speed and coverage on my Eskimo global plan apart from a few intermittent 3-5 second drop outs in Brazil. I didn't do any speed tests so I can't quantify that and I also wasn't using my phone to stream video or audio. But for dat to day travelling Eskimo has been great.

<redacted>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How do you find their speeds? I've been experimenting with a few providers from esimdb.com .
Haven't found a single brand with consistently good speeds globally.

I try to buy "local IP" SIMs but even then, their data speeds can be hit or miss.
It’s also a function of the local network obviously but for everyday stuff, Eskimo is fine. Usually connects to 5G where available. I believe it generally routes via SIN, so there could be some latency depending on where in the world you are.
 
[mod hat]
A reminder that if anyone has referral offers they need to be posted in the specific area.

[/mod hat]
 
A year ago I travelled to Europe and used an eSIM for data while my Telstra SIM remained on for calls and texts. I did the same for this trip just completed (Europe again) but found that the settings didn't seem to allow me to have both SIMs active without Telstra drilling me for their extortionate $10 a day so I turned it off for the rest of the trip apart from a quick on and off when on wifi. Not sure what's changed - it must be something in the phone settings I need to change. All I could see was that the phone wanted to switch between SIMs depending on coverage. So apart from the price I don't think it was a Telstra issue. Must check this out before the next trip.
To compare I paid $26 for 30 days of 1GB per day vs $300 with Telstra if I had used them.
 
A year ago I travelled to Europe and used an eSIM for data while my Telstra SIM remained on for calls and texts. I did the same for this trip just completed (Europe again) but found that the settings didn't seem to allow me to have both SIMs active without Telstra drilling me for their extortionate $10 a day so I turned it off for the rest of the trip apart from a quick on and off when on wifi. Not sure what's changed - it must be something in the phone settings I need to change. All I could see was that the phone wanted to switch between SIMs depending on coverage. So apart from the price I don't think it was a Telstra issue. Must check this out before the next trip.
To compare I paid $26 for 30 days of 1GB per day vs $300 with Telstra if I had used them.
What sort of phone do you have?

There is a new "feature" in iPhones that will automatically connect a default SIM - the description is confusing.

But, if you have "Data Roaming" turned off on the Telstra line, that ought to stop roaming (just don't send a text or make/receive calls - as those will also trigger roaming).
 
There are simply too many e-sim providers around now.

My old Optus plan had free roaming with 2GB per billing cycle, which was enough when travelling and saved me time/effort/cost of getting an e-sim.

If I wanted more data, I'd just get a data sim and used Airalo quite a few times.

Now I need a sim for calls which is a PITA
This.

There are a million different resellers, some larger and professional, others probably being run from someone’s garage. I use esimdb to filter to the countries I’m after and then select the plan I want. (total GBs or GB/$) It’s all quite simple.

Currently using a JamboSim offering in Sth America and it has been fine. With this method I think I’ve also used eSIMs from Jetpac, Orange FR, Thirr, Always Mobile, FlexiRoam (former 28 degrees card freebie), Voye, EscapeSim and Nomad. I’ve not found a bad one yet: they all do what they’re supposed to do, connecting to local providers and giving me data in foreign countries. YMMV
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

This.

There are a million different resellers, some larger and professional, others probably being run from someone’s garage. I use esimdb to filter to the countries I’m after and then select the plan I want. (total GBs or GB/$) It’s all quite simple.

Currently using a JamboSim offering in Sth America and it has been fine. With this method I think I’ve also used eSIMs from Jetpac, Orange FR, Thirr, Always Mobile, FlexiRoam (former 28 degrees card freebie), Voye, EscapeSim and Nomad. I’ve not found a bad one yet: they all do what they’re supposed to do, connecting to local providers and giving me data in foreign countries. YMMV
Besides Flexiroam (which reuses a single eSIM), how many of those have been single use eSIMs? That’s another challenge in that you can run out of eSIMs slots without deleting some as you go.

I’ve narrowed down to about 10 “goto” eSIMs providers that I can easy check Country, Regional and Global plan costs for my future travel needs via the installed app. I cross check those with eSIMDB but usually stay with the ones I know, especially when you take advantage of promos etc.
 
Besides Flexiroam (which reuses a single eSIM), how many of those have been single use eSIMs? That’s another challenge in that you can run out of eSIMs slots without deleting some as you go.

I would say they have all been single use as I don’t tend to go back to the same places. Honestly, I’ve never even considered whether a ‘recharge’ or new plan using the same esim would be a better deal. Is this a thing or does a recharge mean you’re paying a form of loyalty tax? Plus, I tend to only have one 15 or 30 day esims, so just delete when expired.

I finish the holiday or travel, delete the esim and then get a new one next time. There’s no waste as it’s all electronic.

Actually, for current travel in Sth America I couldn’t find a decent deal that included both Bolivia and Uruguay on the same sim. It was possible with the big and well known providers using a global or all Sth America plan, but they were around $100 iirc for the over 30 days option. Instead I have two eSIMs which I’ll use this trip which I think cost $20 and then $30. It’s a one minute process to just add the second one before heading to Uruguay.
 
I would say they have all been single use as I don’t tend to go back to the same places. Honestly, I’ve never even considered whether a ‘recharge’ or new plan using the same esim would be a better deal. Is this a thing or does a recharge mean you’re paying a form of loyalty tax? Plus, I tend to only have one 15 or 30 day esims, so just delete when expired.

I finish the holiday or travel, delete the esim and then get a new one next time. There’s no waste as it’s all electronic.

Actually, for current travel in Sth America I couldn’t find a decent deal that included both Bolivia and Uruguay on the same sim. It was possible with the big and well known providers using a global or all Sth America plan, but they were around $100 iirc for the over 30 days option. Instead I have two eSIMs which I’ll use this trip which I think cost $20 and then $30. It’s a one minute process to just add the second one before heading to Uruguay.
A lot of the name brands now let you install one eSIM (once only) and you just add Country, Regional and/or Global plans and it’s smart enough to use them in that order (ie a country specific plan will be cheaper GBs / $ than a Regional plan or Global Plan. “Topping up” Is just buying more GBs for $X and it’s automatically loaded to your account.

Those sorts of options are obviously better for peeps who don’t want to fluff around with multiple SIMs and certainly cheaper than getting one big hairy and expensive Global plan.

If you’re looking for further cheap SA eSiMs, Frewie now has some in their $1 eSIMs.
US$1 / 1GB / 7d (can be topped up): Argentina, Chile, Peru, Uruguay and probably others but not Bolivia. They’re also “disposable” eSIMs.

I’ll probably get some Argentina and Chile for later next month.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top