EBP increasing top up fee from 0.8% to 1.3%

Status
Not open for further replies.

electriccurio

I got an email from EBP saying that they are increasing the surcharge for using a credit card for top up from 0.8% to 1.3% from 12/10/19. Thoughts? Any other better alternative out there?

Does anyone know anything about ebp expanding their range of credit cards beyond VISA/MC and what surcharges might be?

I reached out to EBP a month or so ago and they said they are in the early stages of introducing AMEX, but weren't able to provide any clarity, other than they might start testing it over coming months and no info re surcharges.

Is first $1000 still fee free?
The email says the 1.3% surcharge will apply to all top-up transactions made from credit/debit cards. It doesn’t say the first $1000 is free of surcharge. Time will tell whether they maintain this.

As with most corporate babble it includes this as part of so called updates. Apparently they’ve been listening to feedback. I wonder who provided feedback that they should increase their charges? 😳

Their accountants are loving the new EBP features.

I suspect that excitement will wane when they learn a few lessons about where the demand came from

• Agree
Reactions: kpc
Their accountants are loving the new EBP features.

I suspect that excitement will wane when they learn a few lessons about where the demand came from
i have put through a 7 figure amount over the past few months through EBP which will come to an end post October 12th!

I would have thought the more volume they can push through Visa/Mastercard, the lower their merchant fee would be. But seem to be the opposite?

Just confirming that I've understood. The current rates will stay the same until October 12th?
I'll put through one final hurrah for the end of the month, then cancel.

The new rate seems exorbitant - especially for AFFs who are looking for cents per point value.

While I have taken advantage of EBP's low rate as much as possible, I've always thought 0.8% was unsustainably low and would have to be raised eventually. 1.3% inc GST is still very easy to justify when tax deductible, perhaps not so much when not.

The marketing BS is, of course, BS, but use it when it suits you and don't when it doesn't. Just remember it's all a game.

Last edited:
While I have taken advantage of EBP's low rate as much as possible, I've always thought 0.8% was unsustainably low and would have to be raised eventually. 1.3% inc GST is still very easy to justify when tax deductible, perhaps not so much when not.

The marketing BS is, of course, BS, but use it when it suits you and don't when it doesn't. Just remember it's all a game.

How do you even tax deduct it in a clean way, you can't even get a simple tax invoice from them!

Contacted EBP, this is what I got regarding Amex.

Hi Jason,

We are introducing a number of changes and enhancements to the system in the coming months. We are planning on introducing American Express however a specific date has not been set for release.

Thank you
Easy Bill Pa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back