Double Amex MR points until 20 July 2020

Doctore1003

Just noticed this offer upon logging into my Amex account (Platinum Card):

Double Rewards: Double the points. Double the value. Until 20 July 2020, earn double Membership Rewards points on all eligible spend, and, if you choose to pay (or part-pay) for any item on your Card statement with points – using Select & Pay– you’ll enjoy twice the value.

I can see that 1,000 MR points = $10 back on the card right now (normally $5). I wonder if that means you can double dip: ie. earn double MR points on purchases and then redeem them for twice the credit (ie. 4x better than before)?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 30
If you use your AmEx card in places that have more than 1% surcharge, you're paying around one cent for acquire one MR point. If you use those MR points to pay off the balance at 1 cent a piece, you'll break even. Considering surcharges are usually higher than 1%, there is little point in using AmEx. And this is when you earn at double the usual rate and redeem at double the usual value... you know where I'm going with this...

Of course if you use the card in places with no surcharge and/or use it for business purposes (i.e. tax deductible expenses) then the equation changes, but I am still not convinced AmEx has anywhere close to the value it once had.

My card usually earns 2.25 points per $1, so if that is now double = 4.5 ppd.
So a $1,000 purchase = 4,500 MR points = $45 credit on the account. If that's correct, it's effectively 4.5% cash back, which is pretty good.
If you convert MR points to airline points, you're now effectively earning 2.25 freq flyer points per $1, which is great.
I suspect this is Amex's way of 'compensating' Platinum Cardholders who can't use any of the travel benefits.

So a $1,000 purchase = 4,500 MR points = $45 credit on the account. If that's correct, it's effectively 4.5% cash back, which is pretty good.

If you convert MR points to airline points, you're now effectively earning 2.25 freq flyer points per $1, which is great.

I agree with that. But you also need to consider the cost of using AmEx versus that of Visa/MC. At, say, 3% surcharge, the above figures effectively become 1.5% cash back and just over 2 FF points per dollar. Still not bad, but much less than the 'gross' figures.

From amex livechat just now:

Yes. That's correct. We have offered this point offer to our platinum charge card user
Well no enrollment required for this offer and as you are platinum card member will earn double rewards point until 20 July 2020,
And Enjoy double the value when using Select + Pay with points

Can see the banner when I log in. Doesn't make up for the fact the cards benefits (which you pay for in the A/F) are useless right now.

In saying that, better than nothing. And nothing is what I have been used to getting!!

Can see the banner when I log in. Doesn't make up for the fact the cards benefits (which you pay for in the A/F) are useless right now.

My banner showing:
We are experiencing a high volume of calls to our Customer Service Teams. If you require assistance, you can reach us 24/7 by logging in to the Amex mobile app or our website at americanexpress.com, then click the chat icon.

My banner showing:
We are experiencing a high volume of calls to our Customer Service Teams. If you require assistance, you can reach us 24/7 by logging in to the Amex mobile app or our website at americanexpress.com, then click the chat icon.
Most likely due to the influx of Velocity card members swapping over etc.

Nevertheless, it isn't targeted. Must have kicked in today, as my last transaction was on the 21st and is not double points.

I received an email late this afternoon:

"We understand that these are challenging times and we hope that you and your loved ones are safe and well.

As our travel plans have halted and we are adapting to our new lifestyles, we are committed to ensuring you continue to get the most out of your Platinum Membership, starting with double points across your Membership Rewards program.

Earn double the points
For the next three months you’ll earn double points across your spend. From daily essentials, to online shopping and even when ordering in. That’s 4.5 points for every dollar spent, except for government spend where you will earn 2 points, up until 20 July 2020.

With no expiry and no cap on the amount of points you can earn each year, your points will accumulate regardless of how much you spend. So they’ll be waiting and ready for you to use, whenever you'd like.

Enjoy double the value when you Select + Pay with points
Additionally, for the next three months you can enjoy double the value of your points. By using Select + Pay with points to pay or part-pay for any eligible item on your Card statement with your Membership Rewards points, you’ll now enjoy twice the value.

Select + Pay gives you the freedom to pay for almost any item on your Card statement with points, including your annual fee – and now they will go twice as far. From your electricity bill to your weekly grocery shop, it’s easy. Simply select an eligible transaction on the Amex App or your online statement and select to pay with points.

Thank you for your Platinum Membership. Our thoughts are with you and your families. We will stay in touch as we work through additional ways to support our customers and communities.

Best regards,
Kathryn Holloway
Head of Consumer Charge Cards
American Express Australia

Terms and Conditions

Eligible purchases can be made by the Primary Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card Account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do not include fees or interest charges, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Merchants classified as "government", include the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Postal Corporation (Australia Post), Federal/State and Local Government bodies. Points will typically be credited to your Membership Rewards Account within 5 days after an eligible purchase you made is posted to your Account. Additional Terms and Conditions apply, please see membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions.

The value of your Membership Rewards points when redeemed for the Select + Pay option will automatically double per point for the period of the offer. For full Select + Pay Terms and Conditions, please see membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions.

The promotions begin on 21 April 2020 and end on 20 July 2020, inclusive. Your Card Account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of fulfilment of any offers. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions for more information.

This email was sent to xx_xx_@optusnet.com.au. You are receiving this because you have opted to receive email offers from American Express. If you received this email at a different address, the email was forwarded to you.
To continue to take advantage of the very latest offers from American Express please add [email protected] to your email address book.

American Express Australia Limited 12 Shelley St, Sydney NSW 2000 (ABN 92 108 952 085) .
® Registered Trademark of American Express Company."

Nevertheless, it isn't targeted. Must have kicked in today, as my last transaction was on the 21st and is not double points.
Thanks for the start date. I used mine on Monday for a biggish purchase so impeccable timing as always. o_O Fortunately I am paying the balance tomorrow and will get the bonus points.

Got the email this afternoon after a biggish purchase, so quite happy, but I am trying to drop costs right now, not increase them!

Anyone get this on the Platinum Edge? It shows on my wife's account, where she's the primary on the Platinum Charge, but not mine where I'm the primary on the Edge. I'd like this to apply to groceries and fuel too, but if not, in the interim, they'll be more rewarding through the Platinum Charge.

I reached out to Amex earlier today and they confirmed:

1. Automatic with no registration required
  2. Supplementary cards included
  3. Not available on Platinum Edge (based on above comments, looks like it includes Platinum and up to Centurion)

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back