Does anywhere in Sydney exchange withdrawn foreign bank notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have travelled a lot for the last 20 years and saved foreign currencies incase I'd go back to those countries. In that time most of the currencies have switched from paper and have been withdrawn.
I contacted the Bank Of England regarding GBP,and they can only be done in England.I'm concerned I have other currencies from places that I will more than likely never return to like India,Korea and Japan.
Does anyone know of somewhere in Sydney that will exchange or cash them out? I'd hate to think that the money will be going down the drain.

I have travelled a lot for the last 20 years and saved foreign currencies incase I'd go back to those countries. In that time most of the currencies have switched from paper and have been withdrawn.
I contacted the Bank Of England regarding GBP,and they can only be done in England.I'm concerned I have other currencies from places that I will more than likely never return to like India,Korea and Japan.
Does anyone know of somewhere in Sydney that will exchange or cash them out? I'd hate to think that the money will be going down the drain.
Outdated Indian currency cannot even be exchanged in India anymore

Try unimoni formerly known as UAE Exchange....they usually take a wide range of bank notes, not coins though,

Another option is ebay and you might find a hobby collector to buy it (particularly old series) but you have to pay ebay commission and postage costs.

Try unimoni formerly known as UAE Exchange....they usually take a wide range of bank notes, not coins though,

Another option is ebay and you might find a hobby collector to buy it (particularly old series) but you have to pay ebay commission and postage costs.
Thankyou I will give them a try 🤞

Really? So for all of us that have money, it’s useless? I’ve never heard that before.

A quick search showed this is indeed true - at least for some notes: Is it possible to exchange an old 500 rupee note in 2019? I have 6 notes. What do I do now? - Quora

For example, one response in that thread states:

As the deadline for exchange of specified bank notes (₹500 & ₹1000 before 08/11/2016) was 30/12/2016 exchange of old notes no longer permissible. One can retain maximum 25 pieces of denotified notes with him for academic purposes. If kept beyond the limit it is a punishable offence.​

A quick search showed this is indeed true - at least for some notes: Is it possible to exchange an old 500 rupee note in 2019? I have 6 notes. What do I do now? - Quora

For example, one response in that thread states:

As the deadline for exchange of specified bank notes (₹500 & ₹1000 before 08/11/2016) was 30/12/2016 exchange of old notes no longer permissible. One can retain maximum 25 pieces of denotified notes with him for academic purposes. If kept beyond the limit it is a punishable offence.​
Punishable offence.. wow! At least I don’t have to worry about going to India anytime soon and ending up in jail .

If you want to donate them then consider: Unicef Coins for Kids - CommBank

If we ever get to fly again there are bins at the airport where you can donate foreign currency.

As for changing it to Australian currency, sorry don't know.

Oh and welcome to AFF.
Thankyou
Post automatically merged:

Japanese bank notes haven't changed since 2004 so what you have might still be current issue.
That’s good to know, Thankyou

Late last year I returned to the uK for a family meeting and tried to get change from some bank notes from a from a bank. I was told the notes were no longer current and I would need to have a bank acount with them to change them, After some dicussion they agreed to change them for the new notes. The best bet is for you to save your notes for your next rtrip and try your luck at a bank.

I was in India when the currency conversion happened and it was an amazing time. I posted a few photos here when it was happening about the lines around the ATM's and Banks. I was able to change some as I went to a bank in Dehli just to see the line of people, and a guard took me inside the building past 100's of people in line to sit in the Managers office. Felt terrible and embarrassed going past all those people waiting for hours.

Many jokes abound at that time but a favourite was that people were dumping their money at two banks; either right or left bank of the river!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back