Do you book using credit card info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirdan

I have recently been booking accommodation O/S and one place asks for credit card info in order to secure the booking. I'm talking about all information, including the three digit pin on the back of the card.
I have provided this info before by email and by phone in previous years but so much credit card fraud going on I'm now concerned about financial risk.
How many people are still prepared to provide this info via email or phone?

I . I'm talking about all information, including the three digit pin on the back of the card.

This one I'd be reluctant to share.

I have shared cc info by email, but I maintain a (free) credit card with a low credit limit specifically for situations that I consider be high risk, that way if something happens the max they can go for is $1K and its not going to disrupt me much if I have to cancel the card.

Oh by the way, welcome to AFF!

Last edited:
I do it all the time ...

... however, I reconcile all accounts every 1 to 4 days and it's unlikely I'd miss such fraud.

If I feel I am dealing with a reputable website or hotel then I have no issue providing that information. Most airline websites, CX, QF, SQ require the 4 digit ID on the front of the Amex card when making a booking.

When booking flights using Thai travel agent they wanted scan or fax of credit card front and back everytime I booked flights.

I have never had an issue but like serfty I check my credit card statement online regularly (sometimes more than once a day) and a fraudulent transaction would stand out as I only do on average 20-30 transactions a month....

I have recently been booking accommodation O/S and one place asks for credit card info in order to secure the booking. I'm talking about all information, including the three digit pin on the back of the card.
I have provided this info before by email and by phone in previous years but so much credit card fraud going on I'm now concerned about financial risk.
How many people are still prepared to provide this info via email or phone?

I'm much happier providing the info to reputable companies on a secure site than I am putting it into an email.

I would consider emails to be much less secure.

I'm much happier providing the info to reputable companies on a secure site than I am putting it into an email.

I would consider emails to be much less secure.
To send CC details by email is crazy IMHO. For prepayments of Oz Fest last year people split CC details into pieces and sent them a variety of ways. A lot safer but not totally fool proof.

To send CC details by email is crazy IMHO. .

When I did it lasit it was to a hotel in India for $40/night res. I was a little worried, as it was pretty high risk - but at least they didn't request the security ID. I googled the hotel /fraud etc looking for web reports on any such issues (it was highly rated on Tripadvisor, not that means a lot), and used my $1k limit credit card, and religiously checked it for a while. So far so good - 3 months ago.

Like others here, I tend to book hotels through existing frequent guest programs that have my details in their database and it is protected by Verisign (or whatever it is called). For once off bookings, I try and use sites like Qantas Hotels just to reduce my risks.

..and it is protected by Verisign (or whatever it is called).

I wonder who they are :?:

If I'm booking hotels I try to book with known websites - [noparse]hilton.com[/noparse] is obviously legit, [noparse]super-cheap-hilton-rooms.com[/noparse] might not be. If I'm not otherwise familiar with the website but want to book the hotel room, I'll look at booking through something like Expedia.

I wonder who they are :?:

They manage two of the thirteen internet root servers in the world and make a lot of money by being trusted to do so, they are part of the S&P 500 . Other managers are the US Army, Nasa, DISA and the University of Maryland, they keep good company and are a fundamental piece of the net, if you cannot trust them, who can you trust on the net!

We booked a lot of accommodation in Scotland and it was only one place that asked for credit card details. All the others just asked that we notify them if we were canceling and one asked for a deposit by postal note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back