Do Citi have a '12 month' rule?

QF029

Established Member
I recall reading something on the net but can't find it that suggested that Citi don't have a 12 month (or longer) rule for CC sign ups like most providers. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I'm trying to be slightly cryptic in case this is supposed to be a secret.

I remember reading somewhere it was closer to 6 months, but now that Citi is part of NAB, I wouldn't be surprised if Citi's application requirements begin to fall into line with NAB's.

Citi bank have a FOREVER rule.

Just looked at their T&C's, first dot point in there. Not sure if it the same for all cards but for Citi Premier which transfers to Velocity, this is the case

1. Customers who have previously received or are entitled to receive the 100,000 Velocity Points will not be eligible to receive another 100,000 Velocity Points.

Last edited:
Citi bank have a FOREVER rule.

Just looked at their T&C's, first dot point in there. Not sure if it the same for all cards but for Citi Premier which transfers to Velocity, this is the case

1. Customers who have previously received or are entitled to receive the 100,000 Velocity Points will not be eligible to receive another 100,000 Velocity Points.

I was recently reading the same thing. My quesiton is what about Citi underwritten cards. For example the Virgin Flyer/High Flyer cards. These are provided by Citi. So if I've previously recevied bonus points for those cards, does this term and condition preclude me for this one?

Its also hard to keep track of the cards I've churned over the past 10 years to the point of knowing exactly what the sign on bonus was. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that five years ago I may have applied for a Citi card that had 100,000 velocity points attached to it.... In which case (presuming their systems are up to it) I wouldn't be elligable for these...

I was recently reading the same thing. My quesiton is what about Citi underwritten cards. For example the Virgin Flyer/High Flyer cards. These are provided by Citi. So if I've previously recevied bonus points for those cards, does this term and condition preclude me for this one?

It’s also hard to keep track of the cards I've churned over the past 10 years to the point of knowing exactly what the sign on bonus was. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that five years ago I may have applied for a Citi card that had 100,000 velocity points attached to it.... In which case (presuming their systems are up to it) I wouldn't be elligable for these...
Even though it says this would this still be the case? I wonder if they would actually deny u? Would the system actually check if it was years ago?

I would assume this would only relate to Citi bank cards not for cards that have been underwritten by Citi bank

Has citi down away with the the exclusion period on the prestige card as well? All I can see on the current offer is "New Citi Prestige credit card customers only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers."

Closed my last citi card in Oct 2022 and will close my NAB before applying. I know citi used to have a soft 6 month exclusion period, is this still the case (applied for last citi card in April 2022).

I'm curious about this one as well. I"m considering getting the card (closed it last about 12 months ago) and cannot find any reference to an exclusion period at all for QFF.

If anyone in the coming months successfully gets points on a second Prestige card, having closed a previous Prestige card (let's say 6+ months) earlier, it would be great to hear about it. I am thinking that closing the Prestige card and applying again 6 months later for (hopefully still) 300K points would be worth more than the now ~20K x 6 you'll get from PayAll, over that 6 month period. It might be worth the risk. hrrmmm..

I have a Citi Rewards card and also successfully applied for the Citi Premier card with the $600 cashback. Called both before the application and after the approval to confirm my eligibility for the other.

Currently still have both cards open.

I have a Citi Rewards card and also successfully applied for the Citi Premier card with the $600 cashback. Called both before the application and after the approval to confirm my eligibility for the other.

Currently still have both cards open.
Thanks - that's a useful data point.

I recall reading something on the net but can't find it that suggested that Citi don't have a 12 month (or longer) rule for CC sign ups like most providers. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I'm trying to be slightly cryptic in case this is supposed to be a secret.
When I messaged chat online, I was told 12 months waiting to be eligible for signup bonus again.

When I messaged chat online, I was told 12 months waiting to be eligible for signup bonus again.

Same here. 12 months before signing up for the same card. According to chat, it doesn't apply if you're signing up for a different card i.e. you currently have a Prestige and sign up for the Premier.

This is useful info - You would probably have a case if you applied before the 12 months and were approved though, but didn't get the bonus, considering it's not in the T&Cs. I put only a moderate amount of faith in what you'll get out of the phone staff course.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back