Diners Club tap and pay

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
How are people finding tap and pay (contactless) with Diners?

Have one of the newer chip/tap cards and so far am finding it working fine at Coles and Woolies, so am curious how widespread it works.

I remember when AMEX first started rolling out chips and contactless in Australia, and in the early days you couldn't tap in too many places, whereas now AMEX pay wave works almost everywhere - not sure whether that's also now the case with Diners, or whether I should expect problems and just insert the card most places to avoid it failing (as in those early AMEX days).

Some places I have found if you tap if fails, then insert it fails, then it allows you to swipe

But if you go straight to swipe it fails, you have to insert first

Pain in the cough

Tap & Go works a treat at Coles and Woolies

T&G doesn’t work at David Jones - swipe and PIN
PITY I can’t Tap & Go with Optus .... still doing it online for a postpaid account needs CVV....

Bumping the thread -
Tap and Pay works great at WLW and Coles.
Also worked everywhere in the US.

My question is - has anyone been able to add the Diners Club Card to Apple Pay ?
I get a prompt on the Citi App but I always receive an error while I try to add the card.

I haven’t been able to add mine though I haven’t tried in a long time. Good to hear tap and pay works.

I got an email the other day about NAB taking over my Citi AU accounts on July 1. Hopefully they’ll breathe some life into Diners. I use the MasterCard way more than the Diners currently. It’s a fancy MasterCard. I know it’s been run for profit particularly the last couple of years since Citi devalued Diners’ earn. They ultimately have to make a profit but what’s been left is a shadow of its former self IMO.

YMMV.

I haven’t been able to add mine though I haven’t tried in a long time. Good to hear tap and pay works.

I got an email the other day about NAB taking over my Citi AU accounts on July 1. Hopefully they’ll breathe some life into Diners. I use the MasterCard way more than the Diners currently. It’s a fancy MasterCard. I know it’s been run for profit particularly the last couple of years since Citi devalued Diners’ earn. They ultimately have to make a profit but what’s been left is a shadow of its former self IMO.

YMMV.

I'd be interested to know what the average profile of a Diners Club user is and whether it would even make sense for NAB to breathe new life into it.

Since the demise of Ansett, Diners has been dying a death of a thousand acceptance cuts, other than the big chains almost no one accepts them. Asking most stores or restaurants if they accept is typically greeted with a "what's Diners?" look

From a consumer perspective, in the rare cases a non-user is aware of Diners, their reaction (as with a friend when I still had one) is that it conjures up images of beige jackets with leather elbow patches, a retro curio with little relevance now.

It's telling that the DC website has stopped allowing new customer applications. If NAB were looking to drive DC hard after their takeover of the Citi portfolio I would have imagined this would still be an available option.

@Supersonic Swinger - what you've said makes sense. My profile isn't as you describe - I'm a points "afficionado" but agree it's gone into irrelevance. I think while Amex and Diners are currently excluded from the interchange changes the RBA brought in some years ago which impacted the value of card points schemes and called out banks for issuing Amex to get around the regulations, I hope that NAB might see it differently - especially as Diners isn't really currently a way to get around the rules I recall ANZ issued them for a while to try to get around the rules before it switched to Amex. Odds are NAB won't do much with it but you never know.

Well Diners was my first "credit card" which I got in 1991. Grandfathered fee free for life. I have 5 supp card holders...there are many lounges esp OS that Diners incl supp holders get in for free so I hang onto the card for dear life ...last week I realised I had not used the card for over a year so hurriedly made a small purchase at Coles less the card and supps get cancelled from lack of use!

I still have a Diners card, which I keep for the sole purpose of lounge access. Similar to PriorityPass, but much cheaper, and at a pinch, can be used to buy stuff.

I have a Diners but only as a Citi Rewards companion. Was excited to get it for the lack of international transaction fee, but I've just returned from New Zealand and the only place I could use it was Uber. Not even the (big chain) hotel accepted it, and don't mention smaller businesses like restaurants.

Having used AMEX for so many years I thought I'd give Diners a go (not expecting major acceptance), but in NZ, it's pathetic. I have a couple of other trips coming up soon elsewhere, so will give it another chance, but am sure glad I also have a 0% Visa in my wallet!

I have a Diners but only as a Citi Rewards companion.
I also have this card.

I was between credit card applications with separate providers and I currently have the Citi Rewards for the Velocity points.

I used the Diners Club pretty much everywhere in the US and I was very surprised at how good the acceptance rate was during my holidays.
As people might be aware, Diners Club can use the Discover credit card network (I believe same or affiliated company).

Some places insisted that they were not accepting Diners Club but I tried anyway (Only MasterCard and Visa signs shown) and the card was actually accepted.

I just found it a bit bothersome with the pre-authorizations requests as they were holding for 8 to 10 days per purchase and I have the lowest credit card limit (for a reason) of $6000.
In some places, it was not recognized as the Diners Club has one or two numbers less compared to a US Discover card. Yet, the pre-authorization was recorded and dropped 10 days later.

I am unsure if I will continue to use it here as previously said the acceptance rate is quite low here in Australia and almost non-existent in France.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back