Diners Club not accepted, or surcharged

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
As I have just received my first Diners Club card (mostly for use as a backup card for my upcoming trip, and also because a few merchants that I frequent accept VI/MC/DC but not Amex), I'm just curious to see how other members find its acceptance... I know it won't be as good as Amex, but am curious as to where it can and can't be used...

So far, I have the following list, and would love to hear which other major retailers accept it (either with or without surcharge), and which don't - and also any experience you've had with the card (similar to the Amex forum)

Places that accept Diners:

Coles, Myer & Woolworths Group stores
BP, Coles Express, Freedom Fuels, Woolworths/Caltex, Mobil
Local Subway, Brumby's and pub
Australia Post
Newslink & food stores in Virgin Blue domestic (Brisbane)
All AUS airlines (that I've seen)
David Jones
Most hotels, telcos & car parks
Nokia OVI store
Amazon.com
Qtix
Wittner Shoes (3% DC surcharge - none for Amex)
Novo Shoes
Cotton On group
Tarocash, yd., Connor (2% AX/DC)
Foot Locker
Harris Scarfe
O'Brien Glass
Queensland Motorways (tolls)
Louis Vuitton
Hugo Boss
Gilhooleys
7-Eleven
Co-op Bookshop
Cabcharge
Event Cinemas
Jeanswest
Tiffany & Co
Ron Bennett Menswear
Roses Only
Politix

Places that *don't* accept Diners:

Max Brenner (chocolate cafes)
Tickets.com online bookings
Google Australia (advertising etc)
Ticketek (website now has no option for Diners - not sure about phone though)
Pizza Hut, McDonald's & Eagle Boys
Dissh
Diva Jewellery
Sanity
Bras n Things
City Software
Super Cheap Auto
Temt Clothing
Facebook (advertising etc)
Northside Locksmiths (Brisbane)
Megabuy.com.au
Paypal
Brisbane City Council
Griffith University
Grill'd
Windsor Smith DFO
iTunes, Bigpond Music

Last edited:
When I was using DC as my primary card its acceptance was pretty similiar to Amex.Some notable exceptions which accepted Amex but not DC-ATO for one.Surcharge again was usually the same as Amex.
The problem with DC is their new computer system.18 months after installed you still cant do awards online for example.My particular beef is that they just do not give you your rewards points and then dont fix it when you complain.Currently working on my letter to various consumer affairs departments.

I've registered for the QFF card - I like to keep all my points in one place... so as long as they transfer the points over, I'll be happy (after what you've said, I'll monitor that very closely though)...

Also, does anyone know why all of the smaller airlines (that I've looked at anyway) seem to accept Diners but not Amex (or give preference to DC)? Aeropelican, Brindabella Airlines and Tiger all don't accept AX but treat DC just like a Visa/MC, and REX accepts Amex & Diners, but the surcharge for Diners is about 1% lower than Amex...

...Also, does anyone know why all of the smaller airlines (that I've looked at anyway) seem to accept Diners but not Amex (or give preference to DC)? Aeropelican, Brindabella Airlines and Tiger all don't accept AX but treat DC just like a Visa/MC, and REX accepts Amex & Diners, but the surcharge for Diners is about 1% lower than Amex...

The Defence travel card is a Diners card, so it would be really hard for ADO people to pay if the airline doesn't accept it. On the other hand even under the new WOAG travel rules I cant see any ADO needing to use Tiger.

Richard.

The problem with DC is their new computer system.18 months after installed you still cant do awards online for example.My particular beef is that they just do not give you your rewards points and then dont fix it when you complain.

Same after 6 months of many calls and a 5 page faxed letter detailing my missing points, i have given up on chasing then up. One run around after another. By faxing in proof and what not, it cannot be that hard to look at it and add the missing points.

Same after 6 months of many calls and a 5 page faxed letter detailing my missing points, i have given up on chasing then up. One run around after another. By faxing in proof and what not, it cannot be that hard to look at it and add the missing points.
It is amazing isn't it.Being just a little bit OC :oops:,I had all the proof-statements etc.After 15 months they finally got p8ssed off with me.they had credited me with ~ 70% of points earned.finally they said here is an ex gratia 50000 points to settle the matter-fine but i was owed ~ 80000.

The problem with DC is their new computer system.18 months after installed you still cant do awards online for example.My particular beef is that they just do not give you your rewards points and then dont fix it when you complain.Currently working on my letter to various consumer affairs departments.

As per the other Diners thread, it took me MULTIPLE, FRUSTRATING phone calls to get all my DC reward points owing after the abovementioned computer system upgrade:evil::shock::!:.....after faxing proof that I did spend money with my Diners, and my bank statements that I did pay Diners ON TIME, I finally got the last of my points owing, a process that took several months:evil:

I have now stopped using my Diners (20 year member) and switched to AMEX, save my monthly Foxtel bill which I direct debit to my Diners to keep the card open. I have 3 supplementary card holders, and the reason (for keeping the card) is that it's fee-free, and to access their airport lounges, which seem to be miraculously growing in number!! Having said that, we were turned away recently from the Diners lounge at LAx:evil:: FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Lounges - 2010

A couple of months ago, a mysterious additional 20K+ DC pts (maybe it was all the goodwill gesture points I was promised:shock:) arrived in my account, and I quickly converted all of them to SPG at the going rate of 2:1 whcih is the best, IMHO, use of DC pts.

I have now stopped using my Diners (20 year member) and switched to AMEX, save my monthly Foxtel bill which I direct debit to my Diners to keep the card open. I have 3 supplementary card holders, and the reason (for keeping the card) is that it's fee-free, and to access their airport lounges, which seem to be miraculously growing in number!!

Me too, whats the point in carrying diners card in your wallet. Its just a waste of space. If they cannot give you wants promised. Then only put it in when required.

But why have foxtel bill direct debited to keep the card open? Just move it over to AMEX as well. I cannot see why they would not keep your account open with no usage.

If every Diners customer moves on then that must be a sign to show then that we mean business.

But why have foxtel bill direct debited to keep the card open? Just move it over to AMEX as well. I cannot see why they would not keep your account open with no usage.
Diners closed my brother's Diners account after a peiod of non use...can't remember how long the period of non use was tho.... :oops:

As per the other Diners thread, it took me MULTIPLE, FRUSTRATING phone calls to get all my DC reward points owing after the abovementioned computer system upgrade:evil::shock::!:.....after faxing proof that I did spend money with my Diners, and my bank statements that I did pay Diners ON TIME, I finally got the last of my points owing, a process that took several months:evil:

I have now stopped using my Diners (20 year member) and switched to AMEX, save my monthly Foxtel bill which I direct debit to my Diners to keep the card open. I have 3 supplementary card holders, and the reason (for keeping the card) is that it's fee-free, and to access their airport lounges, which seem to be miraculously growing in number!! Having said that, we were turned away recently from the Diners lounge at LAx:evil:: FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Lounges - 2010

A couple of months ago, a mysterious additional 20K+ DC pts (maybe it was all the goodwill gesture points I was promised:shock:) arrived in my account, and I quickly converted all of them to SPG at the going rate of 2:1 whcih is the best, IMHO, use of DC pts.
Another 20 year member.My Iinet direct debit is my one and only use of DC.and all my points were transferred to SPG as well.

IIRC, it is 2 years.

Okay, well i will keep the non use date in mind. But to make sure, i will make a note if and when i need to ring DC next and see if it is 2 years before account closer. Its not listed in the new terms and conditions they posted to me in Jun 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back