Currency exchange. Oz or Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a variety of currency, HKD, USD, TWD, NZD which is gathering dust in a cupboard. I was thinking of converting all to Yen for an upcuming trip to Japan.
Would it be better to exchange locally (in Aus) to Yen or change at the airport in Tokyo. (or even at a bank?

Thanks
FBS

Re: Cureency exchange. Oz or Japan.

Definitely change in Aus. In Japan the rate will be at least 10% less. This is the same when changing Australian dollars to yen. Do it in Australia. Or even better don do it at all and just use ATMs (I know you can't do that with the currency you already have)

How are you getting to NRT? May be cheaper to change at an intermediate destination - SIN airport offers better rates than AU streets/banks a lot of the time...

I have been in Japan for the last three weeks. If you are thinking of exchanging any currency in Japan then USD is favoured. All major hotels and currency exchange outlets are keen on USD and rate is what I would describe as fair but AUD rate is woeful.
Far better is to exchange in Australia before going to Japan if you want some yen. Best rate and ease of use is by using KVB Kunlun (branches in both Melb and Syd) who offer fantastic spot rates for those with AUD and maybe other currencies. The yen is being devalued very nicely at the moment so currency movement is definitely in the Aussie travellers favour at present. I was very pleased that I didn't prepay any hotel accommodation and settled on departure to capture the favourable rate. Enjoy your trip.

Be aware. Credit cards are not generally accepted in smaller establishments. ( IME). So a good supply of yen is recommended. Finding somewhere to change money is a pain as well

Be aware. Credit cards are not generally accepted in smaller establishments. ( IME). So a good supply of yen is recommended. Finding somewhere to change money is a pain as well

It's been a few years since I went, but this is spot on. It was hard enough finding ATMs, let alone somewhere for FX and the rate was also disappointing within the country - the airport gave the most favourable rates sadly. Australia was a much better place for converting to Yen and Japan is such a cash based society that you just have to have some Yen for most things, especially off the cuff things like vending machines and cheap food places!

WRT your other currencies, I know some places will do a double conversion from the native currency e.g. USD - AUD - JPY, so you might lose marginally in the double conversion, maybe in this case you could bring the foreign currencies to Japan and exchange it there YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back